• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which NT is the "Promethean" NT?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
In Greek mythology, Prometheus is a Titan known for his wily intelligence, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals for their use. His myth has been treated by a number of ancient sources, in which Prometheus is credited with (or blamed for) playing a pivotal role in the early history of humankind.

So the NT-temperament is the "Promethean" temperament because NTs want to make people more like Gods trough their inventions.

But which NT is the quintessitial Promethean?

Traditionally, the experts have been torn between INTJ and ENTP and I see why: Given that Extroverted Thinking is the rule-abiding function, ENTJ is easily ruled out. And given that Introverted Thinking is mostly interested in validating truths for themselves (as opposed to for mankind) or alternatively, invent a better version of fire altogether, we are left with INTJ and ENTP.

INTJ, because it is important for them to make a stand that quantifies their uniqueness in the world (for reference, read Ayn Rand, INTJ) and ENTP because they are natural iconoclasts/provocateurs and they tend to make definitive stands when pressured (for reference, read the Apology of Socrates, ENTP).

Some tidbits:

Jung:
Prometheus is Introverted because his thoughts go to the future. Because he thinks before he acts. Prometheus is committed to his inner vision and acts on it (INTJ).

David Keirsey:
Prometheus is ENTP because he risks his life rebelling for what is ultimately a good cause. Stealing the fire may not have been wholly thought through but a result of the prompting of Extroverted Intuition.

------------

Which NT do you think is the quintessitial Promethean?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would not put Kiersey's part past an INTJ either, though. People get the impression that, in the end, we only do things for ourselves, but that is false.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I always thought all NT's were Promethean in essence. But if you asked me to type Prometheus, (and remember, this is coming from a person who utterly failed to meet Economica's specifications in this regard) I would guess ENTP, because of his guile and deceitfulness. That sounds more Ne to me.

People get the impression that, in the end, we only do things for ourselves, but that is false.

If you don't do things for yourself, then for whom? Almost everyone does things for themselves in the end, in one sense or another.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ

It depends on whether he stole the fire on the spur of the moment, doesn't it? If it the execution was planned, I'll go with INTJ, whereas if it was impromptu, I'll go with ENTP.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It depends on whether he stole the fire on the spur of the moment, doesn't it? If it was planned, I'll go with INTJ, whereas if it was impromptu, I'll go with ENTP.

I plan things too y'know. I plan what I'm going to do and why, quite meticulously. The part I do impromptu though, is the execution of the plan. How it's actually done. That's all just winging it as I go, but the goal at the end of it was always intended from the start. Or at least, the effect of the goal being achieved.

Prometheus could've set out firmly intending to do something to level the score between the gods and humanity. He might not've known exactly what he was going to do, but been on the lookout for something. He might've got the idea of fire from something that inspired him to think of it, and thought to himself, "Ah, that's what I need!" and then recklessly thrown himself into it. Or he might've got an idea to just go up to the mountain of the gods and see what he could find there that would even the score, seen the fire and thought "that's our baby!"

Either of those could indicate ENTP. It's not all haphazard, random impulsiveness y'know. There's method to the madness. For evidence of him being INTJ, I'd say to look for madness in method.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I plan things too y'know. I plan what I'm going to do and why, quite meticulously. The part I do impromptu though, is the execution of the plan. How it's actually done. That's all just winging it as I go

I edited my post to clarify this point. :) My vote is for ENTP unless the execution was contingency-planned.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If Prometheus tries to chat up, hook up with, amuse with his zany joke-telling, or steal feathers from (to create a magnificent headdress to occupy his mind while waiting for the next day to come) the eagle that is ripping out his liver and eating it, then he is an ENTP.

If Prometheus spends the rest of his afternoon scheming up ways to destroy the eagle and make it rue the day it ever agreed to act as the divine punisher in this situation, then he is most likely an INTJ.

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
None are quintessential Prometheans, but ENTP is closest. The desire to understand the skill and master it is mostly selfish, but it sometimes entails Progress in the Humanistic sense, even if unintended.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
None are quintessential Prometheans, but ENTP is closest. The desire to understand the skill and master it is mostly selfish, but it sometimes entails Progress in the Humanistic sense, even if unintended.

Bloody hell, talk about being much maligned! :cry:

I liked the way Jennifer put it better :yes:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you don't do things for yourself, then for whom? Almost everyone does things for themselves in the end, in one sense or another.

I agree that almost everything we do is for ourselves. The distinction is drawn when you care about someone or something so much that you are willing to die for it. (and that doesn't count if you are doing it for an awesome afterlife)

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
Which NT do you think is the quintessitial Promethean?[/QUOTE]

Charles Darwin was an INTP. He was a very smooth and charismatic man with the ladies. Quite the conversationalist. My argument rests on this man.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
...that was kind of a non sequitur.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In Greek mythology, Prometheus is a Titan known for his wily intelligence, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals for their use. His myth has been treated by a number of ancient sources, in which Prometheus is credited with (or blamed for) playing a pivotal role in the early history of humankind.

So the NT-temperament is the "Promethean" temperament because NTs want to make people more like Gods trough their inventions.

But which NT is the quintessitial Promethean?

Traditionally, the experts have been torn between INTJ and ENTP and I see why: Given that Extroverted Thinking is the rule-abiding function, ENTJ is easily ruled out. And given that Introverted Thinking is mostly interested in validating truths for themselves (as opposed to for mankind) or alternatively, invent a better version of fire altogether, we are left with INTJ and ENTP.

INTJ, because it is important for them to make a stand that quantifies their uniqueness in the world (for reference, read Ayn Rand, INTJ) and ENTP because they are natural iconoclasts/provocateurs and they tend to make definitive stands when pressured (for reference, read the Apology of Socrates, ENTP).

Some tidbits:

Jung:
Prometheus is Introverted because his thoughts go to the future. Because he thinks before he acts. Prometheus is committed to his inner vision and acts on it (INTJ).

David Keirsey:
Prometheus is ENTP because he risks his life rebelling for what is ultimately a good cause. Stealing the fire may not have been wholly thought through but a result of the prompting of Extroverted Intuition.

------------

I'd say ENTP. They are the ones most interested in sharing knowledge and making ideas practical. David Hume, Bertrand Russell, and Voltaire were the case in point for this. Socrates was mostly interested in sharing knowledge for furtherance of his ideas. He was not a 'promethean' thinker, and his temperament was INTP and not ENTP.

INTJ is not an appropriate choice for this because they, as they tend to enjoy giving instructions more than sharing knowledge. And they, much like INTPs also tend to gather knowledge more for themselves than for the sake of an external end.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
[Socrates] was INTP and not ENTP.

We can argue about this all day long. Socrates died talking and he died of talking. The day I take him to be an introvert will be somewhat of a sun-lit day in Hades.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We can argue about this all day long. Socrates died talking and he died of talking. The day I take him to be an introvert will be somewhat of a sun-lit day in Hades.

What about those 12 hour solitary meditations that he practiced at least once every few days?

Last edited:

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
where is that written? I know he did it once but where does it say every few days?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
well it says in the symposion that socrates drifts off once in a while. although serverel counter-arguments could be offered:

-its not for 12 hours, i like meditation too

-the guests are waiting, like in the peloponesian war where his entire regiment was watching him. with an audience, there's nothing an entp cant do. think BORAT

-socrates said that he had a daimon, a divine voice inside his head.