User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

Which NT do you think is the quintessitial Promethean?[/QUOTE]

Charles Darwin was an INTP. He was a very smooth and charismatic man with the ladies. Quite the conversationalist. My argument rests on this man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

...that was kind of a non sequitur.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    In Greek mythology, Prometheus is a Titan known for his wily intelligence, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals for their use. His myth has been treated by a number of ancient sources, in which Prometheus is credited with (or blamed for) playing a pivotal role in the early history of humankind.

So the NT-temperament is the "Promethean" temperament because NTs want to make people more like Gods trough their inventions.

But which NT is the quintessitial Promethean?

Traditionally, the experts have been torn between INTJ and ENTP and I see why: Given that Extroverted Thinking is the rule-abiding function, ENTJ is easily ruled out. And given that Introverted Thinking is mostly interested in validating truths for themselves (as opposed to for mankind) or alternatively, invent a better version of fire altogether, we are left with INTJ and ENTP.

INTJ, because it is important for them to make a stand that quantifies their uniqueness in the world (for reference, read Ayn Rand, INTJ) and ENTP because they are natural iconoclasts/provocateurs and they tend to make definitive stands when pressured (for reference, read the Apology of Socrates, ENTP).

Some tidbits:

Jung:
    Prometheus is Introverted because his thoughts go to the future. Because he thinks before he acts. Prometheus is committed to his inner vision and acts on it (INTJ).

David Keirsey:
    Prometheus is ENTP because he risks his life rebelling for what is ultimately a good cause. Stealing the fire may not have been wholly thought through but a result of the prompting of Extroverted Intuition.

------------

Which NT do you think is the quintessitial Promethean?

I'd say ENTP. They are the ones most interested in sharing knowledge and making ideas practical. David Hume, Bertrand Russell, and Voltaire were the case in point for this. Socrates was mostly interested in sharing knowledge for furtherance of his ideas. He was not a 'promethean' thinker, and his temperament was INTP and not ENTP.

INTJ is not an appropriate choice for this because they, as they tend to enjoy giving instructions more than sharing knowledge. And they, much like INTPs also tend to gather knowledge more for themselves than for the sake of an external end.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ERTP

[Socrates] was INTP and not ENTP.
    We can argue about this all day long. Socrates died talking and he died of talking. The day I take him to be an introvert will be somewhat of a sun-lit day in Hades.
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    We can argue about this all day long. Socrates died talking and he died of talking. The day I take him to be an introvert will be somewhat of a sun-lit day in Hades.

What about those 12 hour solitary meditations that he practiced at least once every few days?
    Last edited by SolitaryWalker; 10-12-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ERTP

where is that written? I know he did it once but where does it say every few days?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I'd say ENTP. They are the ones most interested in sharing knowledge and making ideas practical.
    I'm inclined to agree.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    ERTP

well it says in the symposion that socrates drifts off once in a while. although serverel counter-arguments could be offered:

-its not for 12 hours, i like meditation too

-the guests are waiting, like in the peloponesian war where his entire regiment was watching him. with an audience, there's nothing an entp cant do. think BORAT

-socrates said that he had a daimon, a divine voice inside his head.