• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

iNtuitors thinking they are Sensors

Snow Turtle

Well there's certainly that sort of attitude and thinking style here on the forum. (N >> S mentality :rolli:) I'm not sure how true this might be out in the "real world". I guess maybe it still applies.

See I never see N as being mysterious, confused... oh yes very very true. That (wanting to seem mysterious) could be a lure for S thinking they're N where as Ns wouldn't do the reverse in thinking they're S. Could be one possibility for sure.

This will most likely be biased but when I first arrived at MBTI. I constantly looked up to Ns because of my INFJ friend. I could see that she was a very creative and deep individual and just reading the profiles confirmed that to me, on the other hand reading S based profiles never gave that sense of awe. Just a few examples reading back over the profiles... for Is because it'd take too long.
ISTJ
- They place great importance on honesty and integrity.
- ISTJs tend to believe in laws and traditions.
- ISTJs have tremendous respect for facts.

INTJ
- They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards.
- They are tremendously insightful and usually are very quick to understand new ideas.

ISFJ
- ISFJs have a rich inner world that is not usually obvious to observers.
- ISFJs are extremely aware of their own internal feelings, as well as other people's feelings.
- The ISFJ is warm, generous, and dependable.

INFJ
- INFJs are gentle, caring, complex and highly intuitive individuals.
- INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations.

ISFP
- ISFPs live in the world of sensation possibilities.
- They have a strong set of values, which they strive to consistently meet in their lives.
- ISFPs are extremely perceptive and aware of others.
- They have an unusually deep well of caring for those who are close to them

INFP
- Their primary goal is to find out their meaning in life. What is their purpose? How can they best serve humanity in their lives?
- INFPs are highly intuitive about people.
- because they intuitively understand people's perspectives and feelings
- They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things.

ISTP
- They're good at logical analysis, They typically have strong powers of reasoning.
- ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit.
- ISTPs are loyal to their causes and beliefs.

INTP
- INTPs value knowledge above all else.

Now I'm probably extremely biased since I'm selecting things with the belief that there is a profile bias, but pretty much all the IN profiles with the exception of the INTP one paint a picture of individuals who are insightful, compex and deep. You rarely find these words being used in the S based profiles, although it could be that it's just expressed in another way.

There's also the possability that due to limited space. The people writing that decided to focus on different aspects, but honestly it does paint a very normalish feeling for S. I like that quote best that someone posted before on here... It's pretty sarky but I think it's pretty relevant and amusing.

My ISTJ sister who claims to be average at everything. "Oh, great, now I'm a duty fulfiller, of course!"

Oh I didn't realize the question asked should directly follow the title. I thought to just to use this title to reflect parallelism to the sensor thread. My apologies for the confusion. I just found it interesting this discrepancy with incidents of mistyping and made this thread. :)
Heh. Course it doesn't need to follow the title. Both are interesting questions but I was just hoping to hear some discussion on Ns that mistyped themselves as S as opposed to why Ns definitely think they aren't S. I've heard alot about why Ns are definitely sure they aren't S. And... It's like saslou mentioned earlier on, that these threads might/usually degenerate into a S bashing fest. Thankfully it hasn't.

I think you hit right on with my main question. Is this so much that Ns are more likely to accurately type themselves as Ns compared to Ss or is it that the S behaviour are considered to be so "normal" that nobody thought to comment on how they are "S-like"?

There's a huge contrast between me and my INFJ friend so I knew that I was definitely an S. I think it's exactly because the S profiles are considered so normal that we often have S people coming here and then attempting to figure out whether they are N or not. Yet I believe if people were to read the function descriptions, they'd figure themselves out after a while. The Si description totally resonates with me more so than Ni ever could, even though I aspire to be some of the things written in the N profiles that aren't present in S based profiles.

Back to the question... I'd say Ns are more likely to type themselves accuratey because they see themselves as deviant in the first place. Which you agreed to with your last comment. The reverse simpy is less likely to happen. Sensing behaviour isn't seen as deviant so N's reading it might just think "Oh that's sort of me, but not totally me." then go read the N profiles and think "Yep, that's more accurate of me."

This certainly is true for me. I never seem to fit in to groups and such... then when I stumbled upon MBTI type profiles.... suddenly you go "ah ha!" this sounds like me!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well there's certainly that sort of attitude and thinking style here on the forum. (N >> S mentality :rolli:) I'm not sure how true this might be out in the "real world". I guess maybe it still applies.
Well if you list the "great" minds on TV most of them are intuitives.
Holmes
House
Dr Lightman
Perry Mason
Morse
etc etc

There are some notable exceptions like Monk but they seem to be plagued by glitches in their thinking. It's almost like the Ns are people magnets as people try to figure out how they get to the answer but Ss are too obvious and so have to have some entertaining drawback or sideline.
See I never see N as being mysterious, confused... oh yes very very true. That (wanting to seem mysterious) could be a lure for S thinking they're N where as Ns wouldn't do the reverse in thinking they're S. Could be one possibility for sure.
I think that Ns may wish to be an S because that's the accepted norm. It's what a lot of society is built around. If you're not an S then a lot of things don't quite make sense, don't quite fit. I'd put good money on many observational comics being Ns and that this is a source for many of their insights.

Thinking of such, one observational comic said
"A woman's work is never done... maybe that's why they get paid less."

I'd bet that it's the intuition linking those two disparate instances. One an old saying and the other a political situation. They make sense when compartmentalised but together, they're just funny.
For me, it's not about wanting to be one type or the other... it's rather I simply am a complete space cadet N such that there's no way anybody will believe that I'm an S. :doh:
Errm... the ESxPs I know are more spacey than any of the Ns... I always thought that spacey was a P thing. NTJs aren't spacey for sure.

Well some are but they're just weird.
Prestige... I would have thought the INTJs will be more interested in prestige then the INTPs... :alttongue:
Interested? No. They were born superior. Just ask them.

:devil:

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
I typed myself as a sensor for years and even came out that way once on an online test. I grew up surrounded by SJ's and SP's who didn't value imagination or the feeling that there might be more to life than what's right in front of you. I learned to emulate their culture of working hard, being responsible, sticking to the task in front of you, etc. etc., etc. Everyone who knows me would describe me that way. Sometimes odd behaviors would appear, like reading Ulysses or preferring Beethoven to top 40, but they were generally overlooked because they didn't make sense. I was shy and private, and that went a long way toward explaining things. When I tried to type myself, I considered myself practical, sensible, -- I agreed with all the statements that Sensors are supposed to agree with because that's really all I'd ever learned to value. Creativity and imagination were not valued traits in the world I grew up in. The one thing I realized was that I strived very hard to fit into a world that really didn't value me. That was the one piece of self-knowledge that allowed me to properly type myself through Keirsey's type descriptions, and obviously it also explains what a lot of much more perceptive N-types realize about the S-world that causes them to first of all, scorn S-types, and second, get annoyed with S's who mistype themselves as N's. The S-world has a tendency not to value N qualities and tends to repress, discourage or laugh at people who exhibit them. One S spouse of my acquaintance characterizes her N husband as "garbage brain" because of her perception of the randomness of the information he has at his grasp. So, of course, if I grew up in that sort of world and tried very hard not to be censured for who I really was, there would be a certain amount of understandable anger. I thrill over and over again at what happens when I relax and let the NF part of me come out -- I can't believe how easy it makes my life and I wish I'd been encouraged to do that from early on.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
Bah to all who profess themselves to be complex or deep, bah!

It's one of the surest signs that they're really, almost always, not, in my eyes. Different, sure, in the minority; and so deeper, more complex and insightful in particular areas sure, but not a fecking chasm, unless they mean they're vacuous and self obsessed.

'Depth' is a rather subjective and relative thing.

It's about as irritating as people who call themselves random, or who say something along the lines of 'no one will ever love you as much as I did'.

I think it's easy to confuse the two due to that part of the MBTI being rather vague, and so relying on stereotypes is an easy way of differentiating, to begin with, that's how it came off to me anyway.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have been aware my whole life that i was not as in touch with the here and now as others seemed to be. i was always in my own lil world and people always thought i was weird...seriously i don't remember ever getting to know someone who didn't tell me i was weird at some point. i don't feel weird at all here. :D

not that you have to be an n to be weird...lots of s types are weird just the ways we're weird are different i think.

have you ever seen a word repeated so damn much...did you get the point!! weird damn it! haha :blush:

B

brainheart

Funny, because I have always felt like a total weirdo and that's why I always thought I was an INXX. But I think what actually made me be the weirdo is that I was surrounded by a heap of XNXXs in my all-Honors classes at my private school, raised by an ENFX mom, all of my best friends have been INFPs, and then I went on to be a creative writing/English major, aka NF heaven. Everyone else was always about Spirituality and Evil and Linguistics and all of the other capitalized words- The Important Things! While I liked writing things that made people laugh, or at least weren't constantly a veiled metaphor for Something Great.

And this crap about people with an S preference not being imaginative or intelligent has got to stop. I can think of a couple who are some of the smartest people I know, not to mention I like to think I possess these qualities as well. :yes:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Funny, because I have always felt like a total weirdo and that's why I always thought I was an INXX.

Mhmm, I get the impression from the internets that Ss are supposed to fit seamlessly into society but I have never felt like that at all. I
've always felt out of sync with others on some level, I suppose Ns are out of sync with society on differnt levels.

B

brainheart

I think most introverts feel at odds with society. My ISTJ father I think wishes he lived two hundred years ago, for example. Introverts are more focused on what's going on in their head than they are on what's going on with others- tends to make you the weirdo, no matter what your flavor.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can't really even pretend that I'm an S. I've tried the whole "here and now" thing, but it seems that I run out of things to do this way. Thus, I get bored, or feel like I'm crashing after doing something fun. Always looking ahead gives me a great influx of activity in life.

A lot of sensors swear by this approach (my best friend makes it work well), but I'm just no good at it, and I'm generally happier and healthier in my intuition.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
When I frist got to know the MBTI I thought N was nonsence and that I'm definitely S. ;) I didn't realize how the big picture rules my world and how Neish I am. :eek:

:D

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Don't know if this is on target, but I sometimes doubt my N due to highly enjoying a slight couple of things Se-dominant users do, like chasing storms, which is one of my top interests. Plus I have trouble understanding some abstract concepts, but I'd say that could be a result of being somewhat uneducated (long ass story).

Standuble

Don't know if this is on target, but I sometimes doubt my N due to highly enjoying a slight couple of things Se-dominant users do, like chasing storms, which is one of my top interests. Plus I have trouble understanding some abstract concepts, but I'd say that could be a result of being somewhat uneducated (long ass story).

Depends if you use Ne. Ne can be a bit of a pain in the ass as it needs to be kicked into gear usually. For me it is often relatively silent (working away without me realising) when I'm at home on the weekend, I need to go do some activity to wake it up (sometimes though reading about a new theory on the internet can start it up.) When it is working at full power etc. for a brief while many answers and new problems which escaped me before become apparent. It doesn't create omniscience so that may be why you still struggle with abstract concepts. Often I find myself with Fi and Si, just reflecting upon past experiences and the like. I would suggest you study Si because this will always be in your reach if you're FiNe.

Edit: I forget to mention that a big pain in the ass is that all the awesome connections Ne makes aren't saved. Basically Si only records the experiences and through it any insights made. You would likely find yourself not having a clue on how you made the connections, the reasoning behind the conclusions you came to or wrote/created something which seems beyond your level of intelligence. It makes it really hard determining the level of your ability because during and after contrast so much. If you're lucky a few pieces may have been stored and you can rebuild a Ne web later on (though unfortunately much of it is forever lost.)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about Ns sense of style and aesthetics. I love beautiful things, and have been told by lots of people that I have good style sense. I definitely keep it quirky and will almost do characters, like bohemian one day, stiff white collared shirt with some big jewelry another, super retro the next. Is that uncommon for Ns? All other N stuff seems right on point for me, but I love beautiful things and fashion.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Depends if you use Ne. Ne can be a bit of a pain in the ass as it needs to be kicked into gear usually. For me it is often relatively silent (working away without me realising) when I'm at home on the weekend, I need to go do some activity to wake it up (sometimes though reading about a new theory on the internet can start it up.) When it is working at full power etc. for a brief while many answers and new problems which escaped me before become apparent. It doesn't create omniscience so that may be why you still struggle with abstract concepts. Often I find myself with Fi and Si, just reflecting upon past experiences and the like. I would suggest you study Si because this will always be in your reach if you're FiNe.

Si is the easiest function for me to understand, probably because I identify with it well. I assume it's in a tertiary position though, (aka "the playful" position) since it pops up here and here, and use past experiences and impressions to fuel Ne to spawn patterns, etc. I assume that's how Ne-Si goes.

What about Ns sense of style and aesthetics. I love beautiful things, and have been told by lots of people that I have good style sense. I definitely keep it quirky and will almost do characters, like bohemian one day, stiff white collared shirt with some big jewelry another, super retro the next. Is that uncommon for Ns? All other N stuff seems right on point for me, but I love beautiful things and fashion.

I think it has more to do with what pattern the Ne user is seeing. Si has an bold impression of the object or unit, and Ne interprets it in it's own way. Se/Ni would be Se taking the object for what it is, and Ni gets an abstract impression of how the user would look.

W

WALMART

Jung does list Se users as growing into fine aethetes, while simultaneously uncommon in status as voluptuaries - the latter more akin to Ne.

I think it manifests as a subtle, nuanced understanding of reality, a true appreciation for the littlest details over the differentiates present in all existence.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and nobody has, as of yet, made an argument to me that makes sense as to why a person can't use both... the brain has capacity for it and it's not like they're mutually exclusive.

and "the book said so" doesn't count as a valid argument... use your fucking brains here! :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
and nobody has, as of yet, made an argument to me that makes sense as to why a person can't use both... the brain has capacity for it and it's not like they're mutually exclusive.

and "the book said so" doesn't count as a valid argument... use your fucking brains here! :)
but the post said so

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ne is like a spider's web.
Spiders catch flies in their webs.
Writers collect ideas in a similar manner.
Ideas fly in fast from all directions.
Fi, like the spider, devours choice ideas.