User Tag List

First 678910 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    intuitives are forced everyday to compromise their style of communication to function in this sensor dominated population. Sensors have no need or desire to use intuition since using the sensing function is "normal".

This in itself shows that intuitives actually practice using the other function more than sensors.
    This doesn't really answer any of the questions that I posed, nor does your text actually follow from what the article shows. All the article states is that those of similar preferences are drawn to similar professions and that different preferences arise from different portions of the brain.

Are you claiming that sensors don't use intuition? As the function of forecasting and of association between disparate ideas, it's absolutely necessary to have a level of intuition in order to even function.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    intuitives are forced everyday to compromise their style of communication to function in this sensor dominated population. Sensors have no need or desire to use intuition since using the sensing function is "normal".

This in itself shows that intuitives actually practice using the other function more than sensors.
    That makes sense to me. I don't see INTJ123 claiming here that Sensors don't use Intuition. I see a claim that Intuitives have to "overexert themselves" farther into the S domain if they should want to communicate with most of society than Sensors have to exert themselves into the N domain--purely because of less necessity for the Sensors to do so. (Though it's hard to quantify "how much more N/S a person is using in contrast to other people.")

Why would a German-speaking person living in China have to use more Chinese language skills than the Chinese-native people around him? Because he's in the clear minority. He has to learn Chinese to survive, but they don't have to learn German to survive.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I am curious as to where you get that information from INTJ123... That's the first time I've seen somebody try to link the triune brain with cognitive functions. (I'm also not sure if I buy into that)
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    That makes sense to me. I don't see INTJ123 claiming here that Sensors don't use Intuition. I see a claim that Intuitives have to "overexert themselves" farther into the S domain if they should want to communicate with most of society than Sensors have to exert themselves into the N domain--purely because of less necessity for the Sensors to do so. (Though it's hard to quantify "how much more N/S a person is using in contrast to other people.")

Why would a German-speaking person living in China have to use more Chinese language skills than the Chinese-native people around him? Because he's in the clear minority. He has to learn Chinese to survive, but they don't have to learn German to survive.
    I sort of agree with your analogy, but I don't think that's the claim being made here. It would be that claim if German and Chinese were seen as equal but different languages. Instead, the two "languages" here are seen as being on two unequal planes, with those who can access the higher of the two also having the capacity to access the lower.

I refer to this post, which is the starting point for the fundamental argument that's being made.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post

that is exactly my point. Good analogy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Good question nnnnninnng..

Only just saw it but still...

Ever think that N is made into the hero too much? I mean it seems like every detective is an N and their ever loved sidekicks are Ss. Who wants to be a sidekick?

There does seem to be some disparity where there's a lot of intense S style thinking around the subject too. Almost like the differences are highlighted and so they think they're a different type where as in fact they are just more moderate than their peers.

Of course a huge problem is that people want to be mysterious and they think that Ns are mysterious where as we're mostly just confused...

Personally though I don't think I want to be an S. I don't really want to be any other type than my own though I do wish some would not be my type and increase it's prestige
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

So... The title and the question in the OP are different topics. We've only had a few cases of Ns typing themselves as S. There's an obvious huge difference between S's believing they are Ns and the reverse. I simply chalk it down to N being in the minority.

When people read the N descriptions, one thing that constantly stands out is that the thinking style is of the minority. There's a special factor to it, and thus sensors who don't identify with the majority will mislabel themselves as sensors even if their thinking style isn't necessarily representive.

Sensor descriptions on the other hand. People that do identify themselves as that usually think: Ohhh that's me! But realise that it's quite a normal way of thinking, there are many people who are like me. That's pretty true.

So basically I'm just saying that the descriptions of S despite describing individuals, tend to give off a this is the normal way of thinking vibe. Where as N descriptions are more of the "You're different" but it's been a while since I read profiles properly.

I suspect that most Ns feel that they are different even before they discovered MBTI, but if there are Ns here that don't. Speak up please! I'd be interested in hearing the story.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Thinking about it I wonder if the mistyping of Ss is due to the S culture. In other words, the most common literature and discussed thinking about how we as people work would, if the averages are to be believed, are written by sensors for sensors so when the MBTI appears in their purview promising new revelations then perhaps they type themselves as different because the S types seem too "simple" an answer.

It'd be kind of like finding out there is 16 types of human biology and when tested yours came back originally as "human" but you're sure that your rage levels mean you're actually nine tenths klingon or something...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Ever think that N is made into the hero too much? I mean it seems like every detective is an N and their ever loved sidekicks are Ss. Who wants to be a sidekick?
    Well there's certainly that sort of attitude and thinking style here on the forum. (N >> S mentality :rolli I'm not sure how true this might be out in the "real world". I guess maybe it still applies.

Of course a huge problem is that people want to be mysterious and they think that Ns are mysterious where as we're mostly just confused...
    See I never see N as being mysterious, confused... oh yes very very true. That (wanting to seem mysterious) could be a lure for S thinking they're N where as Ns wouldn't do the reverse in thinking they're S. Could be one possibility for sure.

Personally though I don't think I want to be an S. I don't really want to be any other type than my own though I do wish some would not be my type and increase it's prestige
    For me, it's not about wanting to be one type or the other... it's rather I simply am a complete space cadet N such that there's no way anybody will believe that I'm an S.

Prestige... I would have thought the INTJs will be more interested in prestige then the INTPs...

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    So... The title and the question in the OP are different topics. We've only had a few cases of Ns typing themselves as S. There's an obvious huge difference between S's believing they are Ns and the reverse. I simply chalk it down to N being in the minority.
    Oh I didn't realize the question asked should directly follow the title. I thought to just to use this title to reflect parallelism to the sensor thread. My apologies for the confusion. I just found it interesting this discrepancy with incidents of mistyping and made this thread.

Sensor descriptions on the other hand. People that do identify themselves as that usually think: Ohhh that's me! But realise that it's quite a normal way of thinking, there are many people who are like me. That's pretty true.
    I think you hit right on with my main question. Is this so much that Ns are more likely to accurately type themselves as Ns compared to Ss or is it that the S behaviour are considered to be so "normal" that nobody thought to comment on how they are "S-like"?

I suspect that most Ns feel that they are different even before they discovered MBTI, but if there are Ns here that don't. Speak up please! I'd be interested in hearing the story.
    This certainly is true for me. I never seem to fit in to groups and such... then when I stumbled upon MBTI type profiles.... suddenly you go "ah ha!" this sounds like me!
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Did anybody ever consider the idea that the "N bias" on something like an internet forum might have something to do with the fact that iNtuition actually is more useful in an abstract environment like an internet forum?

Sensors have the upper hand when it comes to most things in the real world, but a forum like this is inherently abstract and impersonal enough that it's no wonder it attracts so many Ns.

Granted, a lot of Ns are dicks to Ss for no good reason, but when it comes to discussing all the implications of topics that do not translate directly into tangible real-world experience, iNtuition actually is a more effective approach.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?