User Tag List

First 234

Thread: E or I

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Hey guys,

Sorry if this doesn't make sense but is it possible to have an avoidant E? Reason I ask is that I tried out the test on personalitypage.com and came up as E. When I go to parties I get a charged feeling/rush but at the same time I'm nervous around people I don't know. I would probably go to every party I was invited to if it wasn't for my nervousness holding me back.

However, if it's a gathering consisting of acquaintances and friends I'm often one of the people in the spotlight and I love it.

I've also read that E's are characterized by having many friends and knowing many people, and I's preferring to have a few close friends. But isn't it possible to have someone that is E simply be picky about whom he calls a friend or who he talks to?

Paul
    That's funny. I was reading along, and I was thinking. He sounds just like my middle child. He's only comfortable around people he knows; otherwise he's kind of shy and uncomfortable. Then I looked at your type.

My son's an ISTP, too!

In answer to your question about being an E, I don't know about that. My husband is an ISTP also. Ultimately, they recharge by being alone. For 10 years, I thought my husband was an E because he's always cracking smart-aleck jokes, making people laugh, and generally being the life of any party, but when it comes to recharging, he spends time alone.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I spent several hours with a 23 year old male today.
    I told him about the MBTI dimensions, and he was interested in knowing more.
    He had trouble deciding if he was E or I.
    It seemed like he was half and half.
    Then I asked him how many friends he had in high school.
    He said, "I had about 10 close friends, and about 30 floaters."
    From what I know about MBTI, based on that information, I would say he is mostly E.
    Is that a safe assumption, do you think?
    I can't imagine an I saying, "I had 10 close friends."
    I thought I've read they usually only have a few close friends.
    Ten seems like too many.

(I think he's an ENFP, but obviously, I'm not positive.)
    Remember also that ENFPs are sometimes labelled 'introverted extroverts'... You mentioned later that "he does tend to think before he speaks, and he's quiet." I find I do that, despite being an E - I'm quiet around people I'm not familiar with... I don't mind talking, and am very rarely uncomfortable around strangers, but when I don't know the people I usually just step back and listen with interest instead.

Then again, it took me a while to decide I was actually an E, not an I.

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Remember also that ENFPs are sometimes labelled 'introverted extroverts'... You mentioned later that "he does tend to think before he speaks, and he's quiet." I find I do that, despite being an E - I'm quiet around people I'm not familiar with... I don't mind talking, and am very rarely uncomfortable around strangers, but when I don't know the people I usually just step back and listen with interest instead.

Then again, it took me a while to decide I was actually an E, not an I.
    Thanks for responding.
    I was driving him places, and so he was freely talking with me,
    but when I would ask a question, he would think about his response first.
    I was taught that that is an "I" tendency.

He plays several different instruments, though I don't know how well, because I haven't heard him. That seems like a more broad "E" approach.

In the end, it doesn't really matter.
    Type is just to help us understand the ways in which others can be different from ourselves.
    I don't need to know whether he is an E or an I, I can still understand him and get along with him just fine.
    Knowing he is an NF is probably the most important thing.

MBTI
    INFJ

The number of friends to decide an E or I is tough. While I've consistently dated introverts, pretty much ALL of my close platonic friendships have been with extraverts. My best friend is an ENFP & the other 3 girls I keep contact with are 2 confirmed ESFP's and another girl I know is extraverted (probably an ESJ type, but I'm not great at typing others). Therefore, I was constantly exposed to LOTS of people - especially in college. Whenever I was out, I'd be introduced to plenty of people and quite a few people on my college campus knew me - if only through my friends. A friend of mine had said he was surprised that I was an introvert because of the amount of people I would know when we were out at the local college bars. The best answer I could give was that my extremely extraverted friends carried me through a social setting & basically set up my social life for me.

Indicators that I was introverted in a social setting? I can only hold conversations with one to two people at once. I don't flutter around the room like a butterfly, but more stick to one spot and let people come to me. If I do float around the room, it's to have one on one conversations with people I already know or because I'm following around my extraverted friend. I rarely initiate conversations, and never do so with people I do not already know. I need to have a comfort zone with a person before I can get chatty with them. I'm actually not all that uncomfortable in a social setting PROVIDED I know some people there. It's a nightmare for me to be dragged to a party or bar and only know the one person with me. That's when I cannot function well and just want to go home.