User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: E or I

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    As an introverted thinking type, I usually can easily make the distinction between friend and acquaintance. I could not name more than five people throughout my life that I have considered friends. I am totally unclear why you would consider this person an introverted type. I probably could not name 30 people that I associate with in a year, with the exception of my co-workers.
    Maybe he's just less I than you are. I am I and I could name over 400 associates I have made within the last year. Of those people, about 4 of them are actual close friends.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    As an introverted thinking type, I usually can easily make the distinction between friend and acquaintance. I could not name more than five people throughout my life that I have considered friends. I am totally unclear why you would consider this person an introverted type. I probably could not name 30 people that I associate with in a year, with the exception of my co-workers.
    He's not a thinking type... he's at the very opposite end. Funny enough, he probably share the ISFP type with my mom, both of whom appear very E at times, but actually tend to be very I overall.

He considers everyone he knows a friend until given a reason not to... maybe some are closer, but it's not an and/or concept to him.

(One lesson I take away from the E/I stuff is that E <> social. It really has to do with energy, and he spends the majority of his time in small groups and reading... despite his tendency to know and bring people together, which makes him seem very outgoing.)

MBTI
    yupp

I can never imagine having 10 friends at once. I'll make 2 or 3 friends and I am happy. I don't see why I need more, despite people telling me to go meet more people. I don't see why I have someone to talk to, that's all that matters to me.Or it will be good for my people skills, just because I don't like most people doesn't mean I don't have people skills I just rather not deal with them, but will if I have to.

But he seems more E to me, I could be wrong.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    But he seems more E to me, I could be wrong.
    I was reading blink last night and it reminded me of something... In the book, he talks about how strangers were able to make better predictions for three traits based upon looking at their "dorm" - or living space - than their long time friends.

It's very easy to fall into certain stereotypes, in this case his ease of being around people. The trick, however, is walking into his room and having more books than I have... the movies, the computer... Yes, the guy is social, but he doesn't fit into the biological definition of E (positive emotions) and he has some serious recharge time - far more than his E time... and he likes solitary time, or small group time, a whole lot more.

He just likes being around people. Every other E trait isn't present... but I did judge him based upon that. Someone who looked at his life as a whole would not.

I compare it to my mom, who dances three times a week, plays sports at least twice, often more, a week... who is always looking for something to do... and is always out with friends/etc. Same thing applies - if you judge her based upon that, you'd say that she's an E. She's not, however. She hates groups, hates doing anything social that isn't part of what she wants to do. Same as my friend.

I find that SPs can be a bit harder to see because they often have the "do do" attitude.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Okay, then... tell us the functional order of an ANFP.

INFP: Fi Ne Si Te
    ENFP: Ne Fi Te Si
    ANFP: ? ? ? ?

I just don't get it...
    Sigh, do I need to explain *everything* to you?
    ANFP: If En Is Et

Clear yet?

My middle boy is an ESFP, btw, and his working motto in life seems to have been, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met." When he was six, he wanted to invite all of his older brother's friends to HIS birthday party (rather than people he already knew better) because he met them that one time and now they were all like his "best friends." [Introvert system shock! :horor:]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I was reading blink last night and it reminded me of something... In the book, he talks about how strangers were able to make better predictions for three traits based upon looking at their "dorm" - or living space - than their long time friends.

It's very easy to fall into certain stereotypes, in this case his ease of being around people. The trick, however, is walking into his room and having more books than I have... the movies, the computer... Yes, the guy is social, but he doesn't fit into the biological definition of E (positive emotions) and he has some serious recharge time - far more than his E time... and he likes solitary time, or small group time, a whole lot more.

He just likes being around people. Every other E trait isn't present... but I did judge him based upon that. Someone who looked at his life as a whole would not.

I compare it to my mom, who dances three times a week, plays sports at least twice, often more, a week... who is always looking for something to do... and is always out with friends/etc. Same thing applies - if you judge her based upon that, you'd say that she's an E. She's not, however. She hates groups, hates doing anything social that isn't part of what she wants to do. Same as my friend.

I find that SPs can be a bit harder to see because they often have the "do do" attitude.
    I still have a lot to learn, but I thought about it after you posted. I never was at a school longer then 4 years and so never made many friends as I was never out going and took me time to make friends but by the time I left I'd have more friends then when I started, so maybe if I had gone to school with the same kids my whole life, I may of had ten friends when I graduated. I never stuck around long enough, and the people I consider friends are probably what most would consider best friends, everyone else is an acquaintance, Someone I hang out with occasionally, or just a person I know. I've had acquaintances refer to me as a friend, maybe I have a strict definition for a friend.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

To the OP, try observing your friend at a large social gathering. If he seems engaged with other people and the atmosphere, then he's an extravert.
    Introverts would absolutely hate that environment.

Oh and by the way, in my opinion there is no such thing as an ambivert. An introvert is the antithesis of an extravert. In fact, I actually think the I/E dichotomy is the easiest to work out. It's much easier than T/F or S/N because unlike I/E, those other two dichotomies are about how the mind deals with information. This is not an external process, whereas I/E has external signs than can be analysed.
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be." - Dead Poets Society

Enneagram: 5w4 sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Essence View Post
    To the OP, try observing your friend at a large social gathering. If he seems engaged with other people and the atmosphere, then he's an extravert.
    Introverts would absolutely hate that environment.
    I know what you're saying and I agree with you generally, but I think "hate" might be too strong of a word. Some folks are less extreme than others, and for them, it's tougher to tell. But you're right, for an I to spend a lot of time doing an E thing like being at a party, you can usually get a lot of clues about their preference.

Oh and by the way, in my opinion there is no such thing as an ambivert. An introvert is the antithesis on an extravert. In fact, I actually think the I/E dichotomy is the easiest to work out. It's much easier than T/F or S/N because unlike I/E, those other two dichotomies are about how the mind deals with information. This is not an external process, whereas I/E has external signs than can be analysed.
    I think I agree with you about the ambivert not truly existing in that the psyche must choose one way it prefers. Of course, there are some people who are not extremely E or I and their preference teeters near the middle of the teeter-totter, but still, I was under the impression that it's a law of psychological good health that the person must have a preference which they ultimately use most comfortably.

MBTI
    ISTP

Hey guys,

Sorry if this doesn't make sense but is it possible to have an avoidant E? Reason I ask is that I tried out the test on personalitypage.com and came up as E. When I go to parties I get a charged feeling/rush but at the same time I'm nervous around people I don't know. I would probably go to every party I was invited to if it wasn't for my nervousness holding me back.

However, if it's a gathering consisting of acquaintances and friends I'm often one of the people in the spotlight and I love it.

I've also read that E's are characterized by having many friends and knowing many people, and I's preferring to have a few close friends. But isn't it possible to have someone that is E simply be picky about whom he calls a friend or who he talks to?

Paul

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think the number of close friends question is enough to determine his E/I status. I have about a dozen people I consider "close friends" as an I.