• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

internal versus external orientation

psyche

I'm confused about the MBTI's description of I/E when it comes to one's orientation.

If your attention is typically directed outward, that's reflective of extraversion, while the opposite reflects introversion, right?

I think one's Enneagram type may complicate understanding where their focus is. I'm a 4 (w3) and am extremely focused on my internal process -- I'm always paying attention to my inner world of feelings and thoughts. However, I'm also very much focused on the world around me...

Could someone clarify this discrepancy for me -- explain or give examples of what internal versus external focus actually looks like? Thanks.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm confused about the MBTI's description of I/E when it comes to one's orientation.

If your attention is typically directed outward, that's reflective of extraversion, while the opposite reflects introversion, right?

I think one's Enneagram type may complicate understanding where their focus is. I'm a 4 (w3) and am extremely focused on my internal process -- I'm always paying attention to my inner world of feelings and thoughts. However, I'm also very much focused on the world around me...

Could someone clarify this discrepancy for me -- explain or give examples of what internal versus external focus actually looks like? Thanks.

Is your focus on the external world directed by your internal thoughts and feelings? That could be a difference. I vs. E is one of the tougher dichotomies to hammer down.

redacted

pure extroversion is the mentality that you don't want to miss anything in the environment (at the cost of thinking a lot about one subject). pure introversion thinks of the environment as interfering with the ability to focus on one subject.

VagrantFarce

pure extroversion is the mentality that you don't want to miss anything in the environment (at the cost of thinking a lot about one subject). pure introversion thinks of the environment as interfering with the ability to focus on one subject.

i like you and you're my friend

Frank

That was actually the best I've ever seen it put Evan. Thanks.

psyche

Thanks for your responses.

For some reason, it's just so hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of being focused on the environment versus internally.

For example, my SO is very much an introvert. Yet, he is also a Sensor (I'm not) and he notices things in our environment all the time that I miss: details of the landscape, what people are wearing, etc. Meanwhile, I'm caught up either in thinking about how I'm feeling, or thinking about him. And yet I'm much less introverted than he is.

I believe we all talk to ourselves, all the time. We have that internal dialogue running.....

Evan, your comment was really interesting. Can you give an example of the scenarios you painted?

Thanks!

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

I agree with the others.

This is a very useful description. :)