• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mine is too. Ne is very, very random. ;)

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
P.S.,
Family Guy is 100% Ne. King of The Hill is more Ni...if that helps.

First, I don't really "understand" Ne/Ni difference very well yet. I have studied MBTI some, but I haven't internalized the difference so that I can identify behaviors and perceptions as being one type or the other.

Second, what kind of humor I tend to express is different than that which I am attracted to or find amusing, or at least it would seem that way considering the theory above. An INTP, I prefer King of the Hill humor, and my INTJ ex LOVES family guy. Not sure what that means. Thoughts?

Edit, To add some things: One of the things I don't really like about Family Guy is they always seem to be trying very hard to be "random" but invariably I get the reference right away. And then it plays on and on. I don't know if I'm supposed to be confused/amused by the seeming non-sequitur but I often come away slightly annoyed and underwhelmed. What I do find amusing on the show is usually uttered by Stewie or Bryan and falls into the "funny because it's true" type humor. I like wry humor, I guess.

Last edited:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hilo, as an INTP myself, neither Family Guy nor King of the Hill tickle me. Each luck into a joke I like every now and again, but I usually consider it an aberration. I can watch multiple full episodes of either show without cracking a smile.

Shows like Arrested Development, Mr. Show, Community, Flight of the Conchords, Extras, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to name more than I need to, are really, really up my alley.

Oh, and the first 10 or so seasons of the Simpsons, but is there a living human being who doesn't love those?

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Hilo, as an INTP myself, neither Family Guy nor King of the Hill tickle me. Each luck into a joke I like every now and again, but I usually consider it an aberration. I can watch multiple full episodes of either show without cracking a smile.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel - I'm usually surprised when I laugh at something. I have not really watched K of the H but FG was forced on me a lot and I started to really loathe it... lol.

Interestingly, when I tried to make the INTJ watch Arrested Development (which I love), our positions were reversed... he "tried" to find it funny but mostly he just thought it was really, really weird.

Hmm typology through comedy preferences... new diagnostic?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've known some Ni-doms that get into rather elaborate parodies or hoaxes. Sometimes it requires special knowledge and context like a more extreme example of an inside joke.

sculpting

My Ne humor involves linking strings of odd random things together-things that SHOULD NOT be linked-then laughing because I know they are totally broken. Ne goes "yippie!" My judging functions decline to comment. (Please refer to the "chicken topology" thread in the graveyard. It is the ultimate Ne joke)

ENFPs have a knack for coming up with total crazy things because, unlike the ENTPs, we dont really have Ti to keep us logical. We make ENTPs laugh, because we seem to be insane.

Ni Humor is totally weird.

My INTJ boyfriend loves puns. At first they werent funny at all. But once I realized that he thought they were funny, knowing I didnt think they were funny, it morphed into a giant Ne joke. The fact that we have a relationship embedded with silly puns strung out and connected Ne style has turned his Ni puns into a giant Ne connected joke. So now I think his puns are funny because they remind me of all his other silly puns and then I just feel sweet Fi love.

My INTJ toddler and the INTJ boyfriend do have this game that they play involving Ni context shifts. My toddler thinks it is HYSTERICAL. The toddler points to an obvious body part-say an ear. Then he says "That's a CAR!!!". Then they both burst out laughing. I just stare at them....They go on and on and on....It actually causes an odd cognitive dissonance in me, as an ear is an ear...Si, go figure...

The toddler also has decided that bad words are not specific words like "shit", "damn" and "f*ck"... but are actual words used in a certain context or way. I have tried to get him to explain this to me...certain words are bad, due to an odd combination of the word and the way the word was actually used. So car isnt bad normally, but becomes bad if you yell it after dropping something. Shit isnt bad normally, but is bad if you say it in frustration. This may explain why he keeps talking quite happily about loading rocks in the "f*cking truck". Ah, the toddler years....

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The group here, "Knights that use Ni" is a perfect example.

sculpting

Second, what kind of humor I tend to express is different than that which I am attracted to or find amusing, or at least it would seem that way considering the theory above. An INTP, I prefer King of the Hill humor, and my INTJ ex LOVES family guy. Not sure what that means. Thoughts?

Edit, To add some things: One of the things I don't really like about Family Guy is they always seem to be trying very hard to be "random" but invariably I get the reference right away. And then it plays on and on. I don't know if I'm supposed to be confused/amused by the seeming non-sequitur but I often come away slightly annoyed and underwhelmed. What I do find amusing on the show is usually uttered by Stewie or Bryan and falls into the "funny because it's true" type humor. I like wry humor, I guess.

I also much prefer King of the hill, as, I can very directly Ne connect it to most of my family members...

But I detest family guy. Exactly for the reason you describe. But Ni seems to think it is funny to look at an item in one way...then look at it in a different way...then look at it in a different way...so that sounds like what they do in family guy. It REALLY annoys me.

sculpting

YES! My INTJ made me watch this movie! There were many many funny parts, but the "knights that say Ni", was just WTF? But I thought it was funny as he thought it was funny. (Maybe that's Fi humor :) )

(I liked the little bloody bunny that killed people. It exemplifies an incorrect Ne linkage of sub components that really have no business being algamated-cute fuzzy adorable bunnies, blood, skeletons and death- thus it is hysterically funny. The fact that the whiny knight got killed first was very funny too as it was an Ne theme throughout the story, then combined with an Ne incorrect algamation of "killer bunny")

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="4cLHxIaUWO0"]Let's Go To Prison[/YOUTUBE]

While not the best quality, It's my favorite example of INTJ humor with a healthy bit of Se.

Not too funny.

This morning I was on the subway doing my people watching thing when I looked at this dude who was completely thugged out down to the mean mug. I noticed he had on pink Hello Kitty socks.

I was amused.:sombrero:

That's funny :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INTJ toddler and the INTJ boyfriend do have this game that they play involving Ni context shifts. My toddler thinks it is HYSTERICAL. The toddler points to an obvious body part-say an ear. Then he says "That's a CAR!!!". Then they both burst out laughing. I just stare at them....They go on and on and on....It actually causes an odd cognitive dissonance in me, as an ear is an ear...Si, go figure...

That's funny

And that's funny too

soft

MBTI Type
infp
I tend to imagine something completely random and have it interact with something else. For example, while watching a concert, I thought it would be interesting to attach a rope to all of the band members and have them flying around while going nuts playing guitar. I mess with obtuse ideas and possibilities and make something normal into something insane. That seems to be the sense of humor I work best with, but generally I try to include a bit of wit and pun if it comes to me quick enough.

man this is old but i actually laughed out loud while picturing this in my head at work... :rofl1:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What's this Ni humor thing I keep hearing about? Is this a new trend or what?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Some T-shirts I saw recently cracked me up. Don't know if it's Ne or Ni, but they all used the same pattern. Take a known expression and build a twist around it.

"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will drink all day away."
"The customer is always right. If you don't agree with the manager, you've got to leave now."
"Play with matches, light your fire with gasoline (some more like that)... The fire department thanks you for your support."

Or on a pub: "Sorry, we're open."

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I find intj humor more satisfying than that of infjs'.

Are there any intps here find themselves in a similar situation often at all, reversed?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some T-shirts I saw recently cracked me up. Don't know if it's Ne or Ni, but they all used the same pattern. Take a known expression and build a twist around it.

"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will drink all day away."
"The customer is always right. If you don't agree with the manager, you've got to leave now."
"Play with matches, light your fire with gasoline (some more like that)... The fire department thanks you for your support."

Or on a pub: "Sorry, we're open."

I kind of think taking a known expression and building a twist around it is more Ne humor. Ni is more likely to come up with ideas seemingly 'out of nowhere'; Ne takes what's already out there in the external world (in this case, expressions), and changes one of the variables to create something new. Alot of ENTPs I know, have humor based on that concept.

Take Weird Al Yankovic, who is an ENTP, for example. He takes popular songs that are out there and twists the lyrics around to give the song a whole new meaning.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Well Monty Python's probably the funniest show I've seen. I always thought of it as Ni humour.

This is my favorite clip [YOUTUBE="f1oMhMwUbgc"]learn to fly[/YOUTUBE]

I guess this clip is pretty funny but that show is just non stop humour [YOUTUBE="teMlv3ripSM"]argument[/YOUTUBE]

Also, it seems sometimes people don't really understand dark humour too much, this is a good example [YOUTUBE="jxYzQtSxoKE"]ira[/YOUTUBE]

And since I might as well. I think the funniest line, from the funniest film ever [YOUTUBE="UAeqVGP-GPM"]dr strangelove[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="SfRf8s2P72A"]Random pie clip[/YOUTUBE]

Also adventure time, charlie the unicorn etc

Does curb your enthusiasm count as Ne comedy?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Monty Python is hilarious but I've always thought of it as Ne humor.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. And it's not hilarious to everybody...