• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

S

Sniffles

Ni would likely be more banter-y, yeah.
Pretty much. I'm often reminded of the old Chesterton-Shaw disputes:

Chesterton: "I see there has been a famine in the land."

Shaw: "And I see the cause of it."

Shaw: "If I were as fat as you, I would hang myself."

Chesterton: "If I were to hang myself, I would use you for the rope."

:laugh:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is humor generally assumed to be an aspect of your most prevalent information-gathering function, or more closely tied to your primary function? If it's the former, it'd be Ne for me.

I'm not very into Family Guy. The first couple seasons are decent, but only decent. Later seasons have a few good moments, but mostly turn me off. Similarly, a lot of stuff like Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Tim and Eric Awesome Show aren't my forte. Too much randomness is a turn off, as are jokes that are too easy (fart jokes, a lot of physical humor). I enjoy wit, but I also really appreciate taking something totally insane and running with it. And anachronisms.

My favorite comedy shows are Arrested Development and Mr. Show. I also deeply enjoy, say, Wet Hot American Summer, some so-bad-its-good movies (The Room and Troll 2 mostly) and Wizard People, Dear Reader (this can be found online, and is essentially the film Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone with sound replaced by the bizarre ramblings of a madman, and it is incredible, if initially bewildering). In terms of stand-up comics, my favorites working today include Paul F Tompkins, Patton Oswald, Zach Galifianakis (his actual stand-up), David Cross, Hicks and Carlin.

Here's a couple of amusing things (to me):

[Youtube="HrlS9_n8GX4"]Mr. Show: Pre-Taped Call-In Show[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="CmOkXV-S1zQ"]Paul F Tompkins: Cake v Pie[/YOUTUBE]

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ISTJ friend goes on forever about Arrested Development. I finally saw it and had to force myself to sit through several episodes, hoping something would eventually click, but it just does not hit any funny bone anywhere.

I sent two Catherine Tate skits that I think are hilarious to an ENTP friend and he had the same reaction to them that I had to Arrested Development. Not even slightly funny. I do not understand how anybody breathing can not find Catherine Tate funny. Insolence never fails to amuse me. And my sense of humor when I'm loose and warmed up is smart mouthed like that. It just takes awhile for me to get to that point with anyone because it's risking a lecture about being rude.

I also like plain stupid jokes, like

Q: What did the Puerto Rican and the Moron name their baby?
A: Retardo

or

Q: What did the Chinaman and the Moron name their baby?
A: Sum Ting Wong

So what's that all about as regards type?

YouTube - Lauren - French exam - The Catherine Tate Show - BBC comedy

YouTube - katherine tate language translator

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ni humour makes no sense at all to anybody else, and Ne humour makes everyone roll their eyes.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
Q: What did the Puerto Rican and the Moron name their baby?
A: Retardo

or

Q: What did the Chinaman and the Moron name their baby?
A: Sum Ting Wong

Funny! :laugh: I don't know what that says about my INTJ sense of humor...

G

Ginkgo

Ni humor is subtle to me. You must look in to what they are saying as though it's a package that must be unfolded and turned inside out. I think Ni oriented people enjoy low-key humor, where the meaning of what someone says is hidden and must be observed from another angle. Sometimes the most mundane things can seem hysterical because of how paradoxically absurd they are.

On the other hand, Ne oriented people make external connections that are like puzzles that must be pieced together from the outside in. References to other contexts, drawing comparisons between one thing and another to ensure that the audience comprehends the joke. It's more of an active process of perspective shifting, and more brashly absurd.

Both types of humor can be sarcastic, since they both draw from imagination.

I've met some hysterical ENTPs and ENTJs before.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Q: What does a racist call those who take offense at racist jokes?

A: Humourless.

Not sure whether that connects more to the Ni function or Ne function, if any... :thinking: Maybe someone else can suggest! :)

G

Ginkgo

Pretty much. I'm often reminded of the old Chesterton-Shaw disputes:

Chesterton: "I see there has been a famine in the land."

Shaw: "And I see the cause of it."

Shaw: "If I were as fat as you, I would hang myself."

Chesterton: "If I were to hang myself, I would use you for the rope."

:laugh:

Wow, nice.

At first I didn't get it, but you have to understand the context, hah.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Wow, nice.

At first I didn't get it, but you have to understand the context, hah.

Interesting... I thought Shaw was probably on the thin side, but didn't know anything about Chesterton's build offhand. However, that one pretty much spelled itself out! :yes:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni humor is subtle to me. You must look in to what they are saying as though it's a package that must be unfolded and turned inside out. I think Ni oriented people enjoy low-key humor, where the meaning of what someone says is hidden and must be observed from another angle. Sometimes the most mundane things can seem hysterical because of how paradoxically absurd they are.

This would explain why I find king of the hill hilarious. Its the most mundane of shows...until you see everything from the worldview that the show is attempting to poke fun at...

G

Glycerine

I would say my sense of humor is irony w/ a hint a truth to it. My Ne dominated family (ESFJ, ISTJ, ENFP, INFP, INFP) says that I have no sense of humor. LOL

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Political satire generally is ... Ne? That's my fav. type of humor.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne- Goofy
Ni- Banter-y or "sophisticated"
Te- Acid, sardonic, dry
Ti- Wordplay and puns
Se- Crass, observational
Si- Canned :tongue:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ne- Goofy
Ni- Banter-y or "sophisticated"
Te- Acid, sardonic, dry
Ti- Wordplay and puns
Se- Crass, observational
Si- Canned :tongue:

My humor is mainly a combination of Ti and Ne although I appreciate all of the other types of humor at times.

My humor often stems from joking about taking things to the literal extreme and what the consequence would be from doing that. I also like to come up with my own puns. Some of them are quite corny though.

What would you say Fi and Fe humor are like?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would you say Fi and Fe humor are like?
I'm not sure, which is why I didn't include then, but I'll give it a shot.

Fi- Self-deprecating, "cute"
Fe- Shrewd observations of others' behavior.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Humor based on function or type is an intriguing topic. I can't seem to find a thread on the subject, only threads where people post humor ABOUT each type.

S

Sniffles

Interesting... I thought Shaw was probably on the thin side, but didn't know anything about Chesterton's build offhand. However, that one pretty much spelled itself out! :yes:

Here's a visual reference:
G.K.-Chesterton-and-Child.jpg

Chesterton once joked he was the most polite man in London since he could always offer seats to three women at once by standing up.

Sunny Ghost

Ni-types do not have humor.

i completely disagree with this. my female INFJ friend has one of the best senses of humor that i know of. and same with my INTJ male friend. he's quick witted and a little mean, but hilarious.