• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'ld have typed Peter from family guy ESFJ. I know one ESFJ in real life, who is exactly a jerk, you got to love like that :)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Arrested Development(Ni) vs. Family Guy(Ne)

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My INFJ friend is freaking hilarious... even her laugh alone will set me off. I think it's the vibrant way she describes random things that happen to her and her reactions/thoughts.
And this made me lmao:

I also really like messing with people, like going into the middle of a crowd in the mall and then suddenly freaking out "OH MY GOD SOMEON PLEASE HELP ME!!! MY HANDS!!! MY HANDS WONT COME OFF MY WRISTS!!!!!!"

When I know that someone is forcing themselves to be funny and actually thinks they are, I pretty much always pick up on it and don't even crack a smile. Not sure if that makes sense...

I have really, really dry humor, and not very many people pick up on it. It seems like I connect fast with people who do though, because me and all of my good friends think each other's humor is hilarious.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
They're both very banter-y.

Ne humor is based on connecting unlikely ideas/people/things in the outer world into funny combinations/wording things in ways that, through subtext, could be interpreted in numerous different ways.
Remember that Ni believes everything is totally a function of perception, so if something's funny to me it might not necessarily be funny to you, and so Ni will sometimes make quiet deadpan jokes that are extraordinarily funny to the speaker, but that there isn't enough even information for a listener to even put it together--but that's not the point, since it's all in the way you look at it anyway.
A lot of Ni humor is based on poking subtle fun at people who place too much stock in their own arbitrary views of reality.

Arrested Development(Ni) vs. Family Guy(Ne)

:yes:

ISTJ/INTJ -Fe- finds outdated/ineffective social norms either funny or deceptive

In small doses Fe can seem very funny to me, for instance the few parts in Pride and Prejudice that I enjoyed were mostly satire on social norms (um, social norms of those days anyway).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a theory (Berens's) that the 7th function in the "lasagna model" is what is responsible for the comedic view...but the same function can be "deceiving."

For instance for me, that would be Se, and I really like physical humor over most other things. But I'm also the type that will wear my shirt inside out or backward at times. Keeping a sense of humor about these things allows me to not be too hard on myself.

For an ISTP, it would be Ne, and they would find protracted inferences comedic or deceptive depending on their mood.

So I am going to push this theory to the limit. Let's see what sticks.

Complete list:

ESFJ/ESTJ -Ni- finds weird/unlikely visions of the future either funny or deceptive
ISFJ/INFJ -Te- finds strange/improper organization either funny or deceptive
ISTJ/INTJ -Fe- finds outdated/ineffective social norms either funny or deceptive
ISTP/ISFP -Ne- finds protracted/ridiculous inferences either comedic or deceptive
ENFJ/ENTJ -Si- finds lapses in/incorrect recall either funny or deceptive
ENFP/ESFP -Ti- finds weird/incorrect analysis either funny or deceptive
ENTP/ESTP -Fi- finds sociopathic/lack of values either funny or deceptive
INFP/INTP -Se- finds miscues/obliviousness of senses either funny or deceptive

this seems so accurate to me it hurts. i'm going to have to think about this, but it feels right in an immediate kind of way. the interplay between funny and deceiving in this hits home, altho i imagine it creates a very specific definition of funny (while there are many ways to have fun or make fun, etc). there does seem to be a built-in unconscious humor with this that i can see in most people i know, well-described in what you've written.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
There is a theory (Berens's) that the 7th function in the "lasagna model" is what is responsible for the comedic view...but the same function can be "deceiving."

For instance for me, that would be Se, and I really like physical humor over most other things. But I'm also the type that will wear my shirt inside out or backward at times. Keeping a sense of humor about these things allows me to not be too hard on myself.

For an ISTP, it would be Ne, and they would find protracted inferences comedic or deceptive depending on their mood.

So I am going to push this theory to the limit. Let's see what sticks.

Complete list:

ESFJ/ESTJ -Ni- finds weird/unlikely visions of the future either funny or deceptive
ISFJ/INFJ -Te- finds strange/improper organization either funny or deceptive
ISTP/ISFP -Ne- finds protracted/ridiculous inferences either comedic or deceptive
ENFJ/ENTJ -Si- finds lapses in/incorrect recall either funny or deceptive
ENFP/ESFP -Ti- finds weird/incorrect analysis either funny or deceptive
ENTP/ESTP -Fi- finds sociopathic/lack of values either funny or deceptive
INFP/INTP -Se- finds miscues/obliviousness of senses either funny or deceptive

can you give some examples of each then please, because i'm not sure of what strange/improper organization exactly means here

:blush:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why i think demetri martin is hilarious would be a great example. i love the feeling of being deceived in terms of Te. or in language use, making illogical connections, etc. a basic premise that devolves in funny ways.

Crazydaisy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Hmm..I thought about this the other day. i told my friends (intp and enfp) two jokes. The first:

1) Did you hear the one about the hole in the ground?
Well, well, well...

the 2) Buddhist monk goes to a hot dog vendor and asks to make him one with everything. The vendor makes the hotdog and hands it over, and the monk pays with a 5 dollar bill. the vendor accepts the bill and just stands there. so finally, the monk asks: "can i have my change please?" and the vendor replies "change comes from within".

I found these jokes hilarious the first time I heard them, but my friends intp and enfp both commented that they didn't find them funny at all! Especially the INTP who said he preferred humour that had to do with spontaneous events in every day life...

I wonder how this fits in to your theory?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Embarrassingly, I'm having trouble interpreting this joke. Would you care to explain it?

"Well", as in a water well. You repeat the word to give it an echo, as if you are speaking into it.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
"Well", as in a water well. You repeat the word to give it an echo, as if you are speaking into it.

Ah, I see. A gradually diminishing font size may have allowed me to come to that conclusion more easily.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm..I thought about this the other day. i told my friends (intp and enfp) two jokes. The first:

Well, well, well...

the 2) Buddhist monk goes to a hot dog vendor and asks to make him one with everything. The vendor makes the hotdog and hands it over, and the monk pays with a 5 dollar bill. the vendor accepts the bill and just stands there. so finally, the monk asks: "can i have my change please?" and the vendor replies "change comes from within".

I found these jokes hilarious the first time I heard them, but my friends intp and enfp both commented that they didn't find them funny at all! Especially the INTP who said he preferred humour that had to do with spontaneous events in every day life...

I wonder how this fits in to your theory?

Both of those jokes got a smile out of me - especially the second one, though I did appreciate the first one - and I'm an xNFP, so I don't see that's it's necessarily type related.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

Well, well, well...

I mean, hm. I guess my problem with these jokes is that they're really obvious. If someone told them to me in real life I might laugh, but only because I'd be laughing at the fact that they'd tell a joke like that :D

Then again, I'm kind of with your intp friend in that I tend to not be that impressed with rehearsed jokes (except "a baby seal walked into a club" I lol'd and lol'd the first time someone told me that).

-------

Also, Nanook, I wish I understood what you were talking about in that post...

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
[YOUTUBE="7gAtlYx-jYc"]Welcome to my home[/YOUTUBE]

I think this is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen. Somebody please tell me what that means. "I've even had to underline it!"

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think it's more a question of NT vs NF than Ni vs Ne. There are definite things I can class as NT humour but very times when I see a peice of humour which depends XNXJ vs XNXP.

In fact let's test it: I challenge anyone to find a joke, vid or pic which XNXJ's will overwhelmingly get and XNXP's overwhelmingly not, and vice versa.