• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're both very banter-y.

Ne humor is based on connecting unlikely ideas/people/things in the outer world into funny combinations/wording things in ways that, through subtext, could be interpreted in numerous different ways. Ne humor is generally implied rather than blunt, but the pieces are always there for you to put together and the speaker almost always wants the listener to be able to connect the dots and discover the humor--after all, it's based on patterns that exist out there in the external world, and would continue to exist whether or not we were here to observe them.

Example, George Carlin: "I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where's the self-help section?' She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose."

Ni, on the other hand, doesn't always particularly care if anyone else understands the humor, because it's based on rearranging internal definitions of perspective and breaking down the assumptions inherent in the way one looks at things. Ni humor is more subtle and rarely displays the outwardly absurd/over the top nature of Ne humor.

Remember that Ni believes everything is totally a function of perception, so if something's funny to me it might not necessarily be funny to you, and so Ni will sometimes make quiet deadpan jokes that are extraordinarily funny to the speaker, but that there isn't enough even information for a listener to even put it together--but that's not the point, since it's all in the way you look at it anyway.

A lot of Ni humor is based on poking subtle fun at people who place too much stock in their own arbitrary views of reality.

Example, Bill Hicks: "My boss always used to say, 'Hicks, how come you're not working?'

And I'd say, 'Cause there's nothing to do.'

And he'd say, 'Well, you pretend like you're working!'

'Well, why don't you pretend I'm working? Yeah, you get paid more than me, you fantasize! Pretend I'm mopping. Knock yourself out. I'll pretend they're buying stuff; we can close up! I'm the boss; now YOU'RE fired! How's that for imagination?'"

Now clearly, being a standup comedian, Hicks wanted his audience to understand the humor here when he told the joke live--but you can tell that at the time the actual situation he describes was happening, he was sardonically mocking his boss for taking his own view of reality too seriously and he really didn't give a shit if the boss got the joke or not--as long as Hicks himself saw the connection and appreciated it. That's Ni.

P.S.,
Family Guy is 100% Ne. King of The Hill is more Ni...if that helps.

I tend to agree (have thought before) with all of this.

South Park would DEFINITELY be Ni (it makes a living of tearing down people who think they have a monopoly on truth/take their perceptions too seriously). Which is strange, because everyone always wants to type the creator as ENTP.

Its also funny that you note King of the Hill. I think I might be the ONLY person I know who likes that show. No one else (that i know irl) seems to "get" the humor like I do... Its all about knowing the world views that the show mocks/pays tribute to.

Family Guy I think could be Se or Ne. The little cut away scenes are definitely Ne in seeing the possibilities. However, there is a definite "immediate reaction" "overly bold" humor that most Se people tend to appreciate.

What would this be:

[YOUTUBE="N4JBj0kxef8"]What Function is this???[/YOUTUBE]

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I've got some good Ne, so I'll throw my hat into the ring with, ironically, a little bit of Se.

Here are some concrete examples of my humor (all things which have made me laugh out loud):

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jVAHAuiS4"]Albi the Racist Dragon[/YOUTUBE]

"Laughed the boy" made me laugh quite boisterously. "You'll make it dirty" made me laugh as well.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o70mZQod06g"]Rudolph's Tumor Humor[/YOUTUBE]

6715136279973325648.gif

no-there-is-an-elephant-in-the-way.jpg

Homework-Find-x-Here-it-is.gif

Hold on, while I slip into something a little more not pregnant.

I like I women like I like my coffee... ground up and in the freezer.

President Calvin Coolidge was known for his reticence. According to legend, at a party, a woman bet her friend that she could get him to speak to her anyway. She went up and said: "Hello, Mr. President, I bet my friend that I could get you to say three words to me."

"You lose," Coolidge replied, and walked away.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think woody allen's early stand up and short stories are very Ne

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The NTJ's I know tend to love Family Guy...:headphne:

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been thinking about this for a while.

Can a Ne dom/aux (NP) Ne-play with an tert/inf Ne (SJ)?
Likewise with Ni-users?

I have an ESFJ friend who I Ne-play with all the time. Admittedly, it has taken a while for our sense of humors to properly mesh (try eight years) and we have known each other long enough to create a context, or back story, (Si) to feed our Ne-banter, but we still do it.

One thing I question though is that even though I know I don't have Ni, I find that I sometimes slip into (what I think is) Ni humor with an INFJ friend of mine and even one of my ESTP friends.

For example, I was talking to the ESTP friend today and telling her jokingly about how after a long day I want to just go home sans company, sit in a dark lonely cobwebbed corner, and weep a single-teared cry. She started laughing and warned me to beware of the eels. I then asked her what did eels have to do with the ironic story about the sad state of my social life I just told, and she told me that she misunderstood what I said (because of course she was only half listening to me) and thought I was creating an elaborate story based around a metaphor comparing my house to the dark underbelly of the ocean. Then I laughed (because she knows me a little too well) and said something to the effect of, "Man, what if my bedroom really were underwater?" Laughter. "Come bedtime, I brush my teeth and then hop into my bodysuit." More laughter. "What if there was a special seal outside my bedroom door trapping in the water and a security system that identified the intruder by fingerprint and corneal data?" This seriously went on for about a good fifteen minutes with both of us adding more absurdities and getting more and more specific until y'know we got bored and stuff. My point though is I thought that maybe I was using my Ne in that situation and situations like it whereas she was using Se to mimick Ne in Ne-play; however, I'm not so sure anymore. Could she have been using inferior Ni? And because it's an inferior function, could it not, if her Ni is somehow impaired or underdeveloped, be quite as filled out thus making the Ni appear like Ne, in such case with humor, but in essence isn't? Could this be an example of filling out an extraverted function, making it multi-dimensional? Is that even possible? Because I've been under the impression that the extraverted functions were expansive and widespread although lacking some depth (introspection?) while the introverted functions were deep although lacking a multitude of networks*. Granted, I could be very wrong here.

*I don't know if any of this could be plausible. I'm just thinking aloud.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
:rofl1: I like your taste in humor Jonnyboy.

I find absurdity, stupidity/obliviousness, bizarre thought processes and mindless violence most entertaining. :D I think my tastes run toward the Ne/possibly Se. I understand drier 'Ni'-like humor, but don't prefer it. The Young Ones is probably the perfect example of what I consider funny.

The Young Ones - Bambi clip

So, yes, I tend to "find miscues/obliviousness of senses either funny or deceptive", like INFP/INTP. But I also relate to these quite a bit:

- ENFP/ESFP -Ti- finds weird/incorrect analysis either funny or deceptive
- ENTP/ESTP -Fi- finds sociopathic/lack of values either funny or deceptive

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's more a question of NT vs NF than Ni vs Ne. There are definite things I can class as NT humour but very times when I see a peice of humour which depends XNXJ vs XNXP.

In fact let's test it: I challenge anyone to find a joke, vid or pic which XNXJ's will overwhelmingly get and XNXP's overwhelmingly not, and vice versa.

You won't get better results with NT/NF.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If South Park, Arrested Development, and King of the Hill are Ni humor, and Family Guy is Ne humor, then Ni humor > Ne humor.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
XD Rudolph's Tumor and "tears that turn into jelly beans"

Great selections Jonny.

I love humor like Jeff Dunham, george carlin is a for sure fave, lewis black, jon stewart, definitely "the sklar brothers".

Tim allen in home improvement especially as I find him being so impulsive with getting into accidents and hurting himself *Trickster Se perhaps?*.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's more a question of NT vs NF than Ni vs Ne. There are definite things I can class as NT humour but very times when I see a peice of humour which depends XNXJ vs XNXP.

In fact let's test it: I challenge anyone to find a joke, vid or pic which XNXJ's will overwhelmingly get and XNXP's overwhelmingly not, and vice versa.

It's not a question of getting or not getting it; it's a question of finding it funny or not finding it funny. You can get the point that a joke is trying to make and still not find it very amusing.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Ne humor is kinda Family Guy. Or the humor of someone high.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
Just a couple days ago I made a lame, off-hand joke about how the birthday song is copyright now so we'd have to pay whoever holds the copyright to sing it, and then this other guy, who I didn't even know, began rattling off how it's not copyright infringement because we're not selling a product so we wouldn't owe anyone anything if we sang it.

He's wrong.

Most people say I have a "very dry" sense of humor; I was once told that I have a "macabre" sense of humor, but I think I have a silly sense of humor, and I love nerdy jokes more than slapstick. I don't know if I'm typical of other Ni's, though.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I Love Stewie so Much!

sexy-stewie.gif

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ne humor is random, wacky, and silly, which makes sense when you think about what Ne does. Ni humor is harder for me to tack down. The main thing that comes to mind is verbal irony, which creates an interplay between the literal and intended meaning of your words. In order to understand and use that kind of humor, you have to be aware that words have multiple interpretations and that they aren't to be taken at face value. Ni is what allows you to do that.

Exactly, and sometimes its even more abstract then that, the root of the joke could be lodged in an irony based on a historical fact thats only associated with a word because of some subtle modern cultural nuance but it all goes together and is relevant.

My jokes usually work like that but people dont get it. or get only a little bit of it. I like to weave a lot of movie quotes in too sometimes for added fun since I spent so much time watching film as a boy and i remembered almost all the movies line for line lol.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are some good examples? Would you say Ni is more banter-y and Ne is pun-filled and word play?
Wordplay and puns are more Ne Ti than just pure Ne. Pure Ne humor is mainly goofy -- it makes shrewd connections in a funny way. Ni would likely be more banter-y, yeah.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
My humour (Ne) is completely off the bonkers crazy & random. I make silly random links in my mind and when I laugh, nobody understands why I am giggling.

I have this hilarious friend, I love her jokes.

One example of her joke
Girl 1: *counting calories of food*
Girl 2: Pigs will fly, when Girl 1 stops counting calories.
Girl 3 (my really funny friend): Yeah... pigs are flying in Australia, AirPork.

I really like word puns and irony. Today's lecture, me and my classmates were laughing because our lecturer said "The military hit on (he meant 'attacked' in the political sense) Sukarno" but instead I was imagining the military flirting with the leader.

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
How would you classify this humour? :)
Ni, Ne, something else, or nothing at all?
dinosaurs2.png