First 81617181920 Last

Thread: Ni vs Ne Humor

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Is absurdity part of Ni humor too, or is it just Ne?
    To Ni types, almost everything is absurd.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Then you'll be happy to know that what you just said is absurd.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

i found nothing of that funny. I'm ENFP. i don't know if that can help you....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    My ISTJ friend goes on forever about Arrested Development. I finally saw it and had to force myself to sit through several episodes, hoping something would eventually click, but it just does not hit any funny bone anywhere.

I sent two Catherine Tate skits that I think are hilarious to an ENTP friend and he had the same reaction to them that I had to Arrested Development. Not even slightly funny. I do not understand how anybody breathing can not find Catherine Tate funny. Insolence never fails to amuse me. And my sense of humor when I'm loose and warmed up is smart mouthed like that. It just takes awhile for me to get to that point with anyone because it's risking a lecture about being rude.

I also like plain stupid jokes, like

Q: What did the Puerto Rican and the Moron name their baby?
    A: Retardo

or

Q: What did the Chinaman and the Moron name their baby?
    A: Sum Ting Wong

So what's that all about as regards type?

YouTube - Lauren - French exam - The Catherine Tate Show - BBC comedy

YouTube - katherine tate language translator

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

i know. me too. maybe we're getting closer to something...... (we're both ne dom)
    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    My humor is random. I love random.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

EXACTLY! Thank you! It's nonsense. The barrier between logical and non-logical, part of the world and unreal. That's it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    My Ne humor involves linking strings of odd random things together-things that SHOULD NOT be linked-then laughing because I know they are totally broken. Ne goes "yippie!" My judging functions decline to comment. (Please refer to the "chicken topology" thread in the graveyard. It is the ultimate Ne joke)

ENFPs have a knack for coming up with total crazy things because, unlike the ENTPs, we dont really have Ti to keep us logical. We make ENTPs laugh, because we seem to be insane.

Ni Humor is totally weird.

My INTJ boyfriend loves puns. At first they werent funny at all. But once I realized that he thought they were funny, knowing I didnt think they were funny, it morphed into a giant Ne joke. The fact that we have a relationship embedded with silly puns strung out and connected Ne style has turned his Ni puns into a giant Ne connected joke. So now I think his puns are funny because they remind me of all his other silly puns and then I just feel sweet Fi love.

My INTJ toddler and the INTJ boyfriend do have this game that they play involving Ni context shifts. My toddler thinks it is HYSTERICAL. The toddler points to an obvious body part-say an ear. Then he says "That's a CAR!!!". Then they both burst out laughing. I just stare at them....They go on and on and on....It actually causes an odd cognitive dissonance in me, as an ear is an ear...Si, go figure...

The toddler also has decided that bad words are not specific words like "shit", "damn" and "f*ck"... but are actual words used in a certain context or way. I have tried to get him to explain this to me...certain words are bad, due to an odd combination of the word and the way the word was actually used. So car isnt bad normally, but becomes bad if you yell it after dropping something. Shit isnt bad normally, but is bad if you say it in frustration. This may explain why he keeps talking quite happily about loading rocks in the "f*cking truck". Ah, the toddler years....

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

My dad observed the other day that a lot of my humor is based on people's reactions to absurd things rather than the absurd things themselves.

For instance, say someone takes a video of a certain prank, like turning carpet protectors over so that the little plastic spikes are turned upwards and then making people walk over it. One of the women who walked over it, after crying out in surprise and pain, yelled out "YOU DID IT AGAIN, YOU DIRTY DOG!!" And I just found that HILARIOUS.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I thought the topic interesting so I'm just jumping in.

I don't think Ni humor is that different for Ne humor. I've always thought that N-dominant types (whether Ne or Ni dominant) had a lot more in common when it comes to sense of humor than say an Ne dominant (such as ENFP) and an Ne auxilliary (such as an INFP).

It'd be cool if someone did a scientific study on this to see if my theory was true.

In other words, I'm far more likely to laugh at the same things with an INFJ (who is N dom like me) than with an INFP (who shares my Ne but has it in the auxiliary position.)
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I think this is Ni:

"In the year 2054, the entire defence budget will purchase just one aircraft. This aircraft will have to be shared by the Air Force and Navy 3½ days each per week except for leap year, when it will be made available to the Marines for the extra day." - Norm Augustine
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

To me Ne humor is all about allusions, hyperbole, surprise, and paradox. Ni humor is more about parody, reframing, and ambiguity.
    Likes bundleofsunshine liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    My Ne humor involves linking strings of odd random things together-things that SHOULD NOT be linked-then laughing because I know they are totally broken. Ne goes "yippie!" My judging functions decline to comment. (Please refer to the "chicken topology" thread in the graveyard. It is the ultimate Ne joke)

ENFPs have a knack for coming up with total crazy things because, unlike the ENTPs, we dont really have Ti to keep us logical. We make ENTPs laugh, because we seem to be insane.
    This also describes my humor perfectly. I actually think Ne humor comes from subverting expectations. I laugh when a joke throws me off. The funniest jokes are often the ones that sound like they mean something but really don't at all. Self-referential humor. Humor that draws attention to its style of humor. It's pretty postmodern.

I can't make any comments about Ni humor. The one INTJ I knew loved drawing satire out to the point of ridiculousness.