User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Default People typing themselves as I when they are raving E's!

I recently found out that two people I know closely type themselves as introverts when to me they are raving extroverts!

My aunt: she could talk at you for an hour solid, do counselling with her patients, then go to a family get-together, and end the day at another social gathering or with another hour long phone chat.

A friend: who used to party non-stop, has a wide circle of friends who get together in big groups to socialize, was an usherette for years at sporting events after work and who now works in sales, traveling and meeting people all the time!

I agree with all the other aspects of their chosen type: one an SFP, the other an SFJ.

Is there something inherently biased in the testing to lead folks towards believing they are introverts? Even extroverts need quiet time - do you think the interpretation of the questions leads to this kind of incorrect conclusion?

Or are our lives so bombarded now that even extroverts need a need to get away from it and thus believe they must be introverted?

Can you turn from an E into an I? Or vice-versa???

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Nope.

Lol @ people who think that they're an introvert because they enjoy time alone.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I agree with you about the "time alone" thing. It doesn't mean you're an introvert. However, neither does being around people a lot mean you're an extrovert. E vs I isn't all about sociability. There are shy Es and Es who hate people. There are outgoing Is who have lots of friends. I don't think there is enough info in the OP to type either of those people as E or I. We would have to know more about their energy flow--do they mostly process inner information or outer information? Are they consumers of the world or observers of themselves?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post

Can you turn from an E into an I? Or vice-versa???
    Actually it's pretty well-known that as you age, the E and I can start to invert.
    But that doesn't change your proclivity.
    I score ENTJ and INTJ all the time.
    I was a big E when I was younger.
    Now I spend most of my time alone.
    I think I got burned out on being so E for all those years.
    But does that really mean I am an I?
    Nope.

I was organizing large groups of people starting as early as high school.
    That's true ENTJ behavior, not INTJ.
    I'm an E who just happens to have gone inward as I aged.
    It's normal.

There are natural I's who will get more E as they age.
    That is also normal.

MBTI
    I

I vs. E is the most mistyped category in all of MBTI, I think. And it's not surprising why.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I agree with you about the "time alone" thing. It doesn't mean you're an introvert. However, neither does being around people a lot mean you're an extrovert. E vs I isn't all about sociability. There are shy Es and Es who hate people. There are outgoing Is who have lots of friends. I don't think there is enough info in the OP to type either of those people as E or I. We would have to know more about their energy flow--do they mostly process inner information or outer information? Are they consumers of the world or observers of themselves?
    Agreed. Some ISFPs and ISFJs can be very sociable.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I vs. E is the most mistyped category in all of MBTI, I think. And it's not surprising why.
    It's because introversion/extroversion isn't actually a personality function itself; it's only an attitudinal direction of S/N/T/F...

What people don't realize is that Ixxx and Exxx are just two sides of the same person. Truly balanced people appear neither E nor I in the long run because they've learned to balance the dominant and auxiliary functions and apply each approach in just the right situations.

I see a lot of INTPs, for instance, who think they can use Ti for virtually every situation, including interaction with the outer world, and it never really works out for them until they learn to balance it with secondary Ne.

INTPs and ENTPs should study each other for guidance in their secondary functions...same for each other I/E dichotomy.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Thanks all for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think there is enough info in the OP to type either of those people as E or I.
    Agreed; I didn't want to expand the post, and only gave a short summary. Both of the people in question seem to draw energy from people and being around them in the world. Which is what surprised me about their self-typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Agreed. Some ISFPs and ISFJs can be very sociable.
    For these two it's not just about sociability. It's just that my vision of introversion must be something entirely different if they are introverts! Loud talkers, big laughers, everything to be experienced and enjoyed in the world kind of people. Perhaps I can come across that way myself, I don't know ...

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Truly balanced people appear neither E nor I in the long run because they've learned to balance the dominant and auxiliary functions and apply each approach in just the right situations.
    This is how I feel about myself IRL.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    For these two it's not just about sociability. It's just that my vision of introversion must be something entirely different if they are introverts! Loud talkers, big laughers, everything to be experienced and enjoyed in the world kind of people. Perhaps I can come across that way myself, I don't know ...
    I find ISFPs and ISFJs are often times some of the most social of introverts. I mean, plenty of them can be shy and awkward, but they can also be wild party animals that get stir crazy if left without some form of social contact after awhile. S and F often amount to doing concrete stuff with people, it seems.

I know an ISFP that will appear like an E to any outside person. People jazz her up and excite her. She used to be a huge partier. The only difference is that she mixes that up with healthy doses of alone time. A fair amount of it, and her mental health revolves around the ability to get it. She goes through times where she is unreachable by the world.

Not every one is going to notice that, though. The introverted side is 'private', and not for the world to see. It's hers.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The typical ISFP will look like an extravert when compared to the typical INFP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com