First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I find ISFPs and ISFJs are often times some of the most social of introverts. I mean, plenty of them can be shy and awkward, but they can also be wild party animals that get stir crazy if left without some form of social contact after awhile. S and F often amount to doing concrete stuff with people, it seems.

I know an ISFP that will appear like an E to any outside person. People jazz her up and excite her. She used to be a huge partier. The only difference is that she mixes that up with healthy doses of alone time. A fair amount of it, and her mental health revolves around the ability to get it. She goes through times where she is unreachable by the world.

Not every one is going to notice that, though. The introverted side is 'private', and not for the world to see. It's hers.
    My ISFJ mom is like, minus the wild part. She used to be extremely shy, but then grew out of it, and is very friendly and outgoing. However, anyone who really knows my mom knows that she is an introvert. Her focus in life is not on interacting with people. If you really examine her behavior, she is not constantly socializing.

I still agree with the OP. I think far too many people identify themselves as introverts who are not. Their primary focus is on the external, regardless of how much downtime they need.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I still agree with the OP. I think far too many people identify themselves as introverts who are not. Their primary focus is on the external, regardless of how much downtime they need.
    Sure. It seems pretty common that Es wonder if they are Is when they get reallly stressed and need to get away from it all. Their sharp need for solidarity compared to their usual method of behaving makes them start wondering if they are really introverts.

(Of course, that's just one explanation out of several potential ones.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Actually it's pretty well-known that as you age, the E and I can start to invert.
    But that doesn't change your proclivity.
    I score ENTJ and INTJ all the time.
    I was a big E when I was younger.
    Now I spend most of my time alone.
    I think I got burned out on being so E for all those years.
    But does that really mean I am an I?
    Nope.

I was organizing large groups of people starting as early as high school.
    That's true ENTJ behavior, not INTJ.
    I'm an E who just happens to have gone inward as I aged.
    It's normal.

There are natural I's who will get more E as they age.
    That is also normal.

I wonder whether one's proclivity becomes more clear with age, rather than changes. For instance, I used to be extremely extraverted in many ways. As I got older and developed more self-esteem, I no longer needed the ego boost I used to get from being in the limelight. Accordingly, I no longer have the tolerance for being around people and center stage that I used to, so much so that I feel like I'm no longer a "true" extravert. Having said that, I have a question about this that I'm going to start a new thread for.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    I wonder whether one's proclivity becomes more clear with age, rather than changes. For instance, I used to be extremely extraverted in many ways. As I got older and developed more self-esteem, I no longer needed the ego boost I used to get from being in the limelight. Accordingly, I no longer have the tolerance for being around people and center stage that I used to, so much so that I feel like I'm no longer a "true" extravert. Having said that, I have a question about this that I'm going to start a new thread for.
    I have a strong feeling you probably are still an E. My ex ENFP teacher (60) said he thought he became a lot more introverted as he got older so that maybe he became INFP. All I could see for the whole semester was his Ne on hyper overdrive.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have a really hard time deciding between ENFP and INFP, and it's because my preference is relatively mild for both introversion and extroversion.

Someone told me that S is more extroverted than N, that F is more extroverted than T, and P is more extroverted than J.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I have a really hard time deciding between ENFP and INFP, and it's because my preference is relatively mild for both introversion and extroversion.

Someone told me that S is more extroverted than N, that F is more extroverted than T, and P is more extroverted than J.
    Not necessary, ENTP is supposed to be one of the least extroverted extroverts.
    I have also heard that about ENFPs but I find that really hard to believe. Most of the ENFPs are very extroverted. I think it it depends on the person. However, you give me more of an INFP vibe.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Not necessary, ENTP is supposed to be one of the least extroverted extroverts.
    I have also heard that about ENFPs but I find that really hard to believe. Most of the ENFPs are very extroverted. I think it it depends on the person. However, you give me more of an INFP vibe.
    I test ENFp in Socionics, and I do lean toward ENFP for the very reason of of them being "introverted extroverts."

I could have gotten the J and P mixed up. Maybe J is the more extroverted.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Sure. It seems pretty common that Es wonder if they are Is when they get reallly stressed and need to get away from it all. Their sharp need for solidarity compared to their usual method of behaving makes them start wondering if they are really introverts.

(Of course, that's just one explanation out of several potential ones.)
    hahahaha, I am probably guilty of this. My brothers used to tell me to shut up because I talked so dang much. However, some people would say I am introverted if they caught me in an uncomfortable social situation or there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to say.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I test ENFp in Socionics, and I do lean toward ENFP for the very reason of of them being "introverted extroverts."

I could have gotten the J and P mixed up. Maybe J is the more extroverted.
    Well, some are very introverted and others are very extroverted. Only you know if you are ENFP or not so go for it if you think you are. Although, one thing to note is that socionics does NOT always line up with MBTI.
    Last edited by Glycerine; 08-26-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Stupid error... thanks TheChosenOne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    I wonder whether one's proclivity becomes more clear with age, rather than changes.
    I too have thought similarly. We develop a clarity that enables us to shed the behaviors used to prop our egos (or hide our deficits) and act more to our true nature.

It means I am not always "nice" and am occasionally slightly obnoxious ... shocking, I know.