123 Last

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Default How Seriously Do You Take The MBTI?

This kind of thread has probably already been done, but even if it has hopefully there might be fresh responses.

I was just wondering how seriously YOU take the MBTI?

Do you consider it more of a tool for insight, or more like a 'code of understanding'? Are you so into it that you constantly think of yourself as your 'type'? Do you type everyone you know? How much stock would you say you put into the MBTI when it comes to defining yourself and others?

I'm only asking because I personally don't take it all that seriously. It's hella interesting to be sure, but I start pulling back when it begins treading into stereotype territory, or narrowing the landscape in terms of getting to know a person.

The thing that strikes me most about these boards is the constant back and forth about the types. One person will post something about a particular type as if it accepted fact that all people of a certain type are a certain way, then it is followed by a bunch of people with the previously mentioned type piping up to say "That's funny because that's not like me at all!!".

I get a little whingey when it starts getting into "I know you better than you know yourself because I've read more about your type than you have" territory. I get more than a little bothered when the MBTI (when in certain hands) seems to turn into more fodder for discrimination towards others. I'm not hating on it, far from it, these are just some thoughts.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

I really think that when we teach people about the MBTI, we should start with teaching about the cognitive functions; the 16 "markers" or "categories" are simply points on a line graph of personality and many people fall between them. I believe the index would be taken much more seriously if we more closely examine the parts that make up the whole rather than the whole broken down into parts. Or maybe that's my inner Ni talking...
    Love is the point.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Very. Understanding MBTI saved me from certain death.

MBTI
    INTJ

How seriously do I take MBTI?

I kill in the name of it, that's how serious.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    How seriously do I take MBTI?

I kill in the name of it, that's how serious.
    Right, cause you have a license to kill you stole off of Bond. *squirl eye*
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I simply see it as piece to understanding people as a whole and nothing more.
    I use the MBTI- it doesn't use me.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I just got back an email from my INFJ prof who was talking about Type A personality, and I linked her bestfittype.com and "my" (INTJ) profile and what I perceived to be "her" (INFJ) profile.

INFJ prof replies
    Humorously enough, in my off hours I took a silly facebook personality-type quiz and it turned out INTJ...you just never know !
    And it's itching me. I really want to clarify things, especially because the Facebook quiz really sucks. But OTOH, it doesn't matter, she doesn't appear to have read the profiles I linked to her, so I should just let it go, because ultimately I like her for who she is and not because of her letters. Which I'm still confident would be INFJ if she just read the description. But MBTI is bunk. (EDIT: Now I'm re-evaluating to see if she's INTJ with developed F like me. This whole MBTI system is broken, but captivating.)

Due to how much it's itching at me (and has in the past) I'd say I emotionally value it a lot more than I intellectually value it.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Fascinating dichotomy Usehername.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I used to be religious, but after reading about MBTI, I was forced to push away my God and accept Jung.

I even have an altar.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

I believe MBTI can give you a basic idea on who somebody is, but it shouldn't be set and stone. I do admit, I try and type people now.

While MBTI is great on scratching the surface of a person, don't avoid that person if their type doesn't match what you want. What truly matters in friendships and relationships is having common believes, open communication, and the willingness to sacrafice for the other. It is true that people are better able to get along with others that are more like them (having the same MBTI type), but if their believes and communication are off, it would be much more difficult for them to be friends or lovers (possibly even more so than with someone with a different MBTI type).