User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    STP

I try to use it to understand people. I am good at learning a person, but I am not so good at categorizing people. This categorizing helps me to deal with people that I dont know as good. When it comes to an individual basis what works in the real world is what takes precedence over someone type because I could always be wrong about there type.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I start taking it more seriously when I'm anxious, and tend not to take it too seriously when I'm not.

MBTI
    INxJ

I don't.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I don't.
    Terse, yet sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I don't.
    Ditto.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

For me, it's like a hobby. It's entertaining and thought-provoking. I type friends/family/celebs for fun, but it's not like it changes my impression of them. They are still the same people they always were. It's really funny to see my interaction with them in retrospect after figuring out their type too. I also find it interesting to make the connection between two people who give me the same "vibe" but are also very different (oooh, they are both ESFPs!).

I also think it is useful in the sense that it can help you to see that not everyone has the same thought process as you. I mean, I knew that to begin with, but grasping cognitive functions really explains the differences. I view the types as caricatures and generalizations of how the functions often work together, not as fully accurate descriptions of individuals.

It's comforting for me to know my own type and know that I am not an alien, and to help me see my strengths (which is something I often don't see) and my weaknesses in a more objective way.

I think people who are offended by MBTI and by people making generalizations based on it actually take MBTI more seriously. I think the generalizations mostly open up productive discussion and broaden people's views on types. When you understand the thought process behind certain behavior, it can make it less annoying or offensive. You get a glimpse of where other people are coming from.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Far more serious than I should.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I think that most of these tests are interesting.. it's always fun to read up on your personality and see where you excel and what you need work on.

I don't take my type serious as a means of EXACTLY who I am, there are many things that make me me.. this is just one of them.

In the end I believe I am more than just a person who's personality can just be listed.. nothing more nothing less.
    Though it's fun to learn about different types, learn about myself.. this ain't the only dimension of my personality.
    “Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not.”

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Well to tell you, let me tell you about my altar that I have constructed: It takes up about an acre and is 4 pronged, representing, Jung, Myers, Briggs, and Keirsey. Each prong points in the direction of their birth. It is made of marble and solid Burmese gold, and adorned with diamonds hand selected from the mines in Botswana. There are steps leading up to each prong and a picture of the person at the end, and a circle adorning a pentagram(made of the sacred minerals, and other assorted goods) on the end. It is there in which I make my sacrifices, chanting "Mecka lecka hi mecka hiney ho!" before making the final cut.

So in other words, it's just casual.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

MBTI and the few other personality type theories out there aren't the best at what they do.... but they are the only ones that do it.

In 100 years, the study of personality psychology and type will be more refined, just as MBTI is a more refined version of the Four Humors.