User Tag List

12 Last

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Default N and Imagination

There's this dude at work who often talks about his experiences playing Dungeons & Dragons, and I told him I thought it was funny how he conveys his stories as if they're about events that actually happened.

Example: "I jumped up from my seat and ran to the troll threatening me on the other side of the tavern, pulling my knife out on him, but I accidentally dropped my wallet and while I was gone from my seat the gnome who was seated next to me stole it."

The detail in which he tells his stories is intriguing.

He said that he had the ability to imagine the events really happening while the game was being played.

I thought this was pretty amazing. Is that typical of Ns?

I'm pretty sure he's either an ENTP or ENFP, not sure which.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    The detail in which he tells his stories is intriguing.

He said that he had the ability to imagine the events really happening while the game was being played.

I thought this was pretty amazing. Is that typical of Ns?
    Yes, that is pretty typical. To me D&D is a game about imagination. I've played it with S's before, but I always wonder what they get out of it. They don't seem to engage the game in the same way that the N's do. The N's are imagining the events happen to them (or some are imagining their character as real and seeing the story unfold from the character's perspective...depends on the N).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Yes, I played it once before and it was boring as all hell for me. I just didn't get it.

Even making my character beforehand was boring. Basically I just picked a few attributes I thought might work and sat around waiting for everybody else to finish. haha.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I am loathe to admit it but D&D was once my lifeblood. Yeah, I used to get into it. Waaaaay into it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It depends on how SP you are I guess. I've played with N's AND SP's all at once, and all of them seemed able to immerse themselves. However, there's a practicality and a sense of reality that permeates the S's (i.e., they still see it as a game unless they're on drugs, lol), and it's the N's who can get incredibly ethereal about it, especially NF types.

NTs tend to gravitate towards memorizing and understanding the ruleset in order to construct new things or leverage it, and SPs are great at leveraging rules for max benefit... they look for loopholes.

I definitely can project myself into a character and view it in context of the world I am playing in but didn't really feel comfortable acting things out, I'd still generally have some detachment from my characters.

I loved it, but what I loved most of the time was (1) learning and understanding the ruleset / world dynamics and (2) creating unique quirky characters. I tended not to play much, I would just be alone and design characters and scenarios and add things to the system to make it better or more diverse... talk about 'architect'!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    NTs tend to gravitate towards memorizing and understanding the ruleset in order to construct new things or leverage it, and SPs are great at leveraging rules for max benefit... they look for loopholes.

I definitely can project myself into a character and view it in context of the world I am playing in but didn't really feel comfortable acting things out, I'd still generally have some detachment from my characters.
    Yes, exactly like me.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Don't know if it has anything to do with the "N", but I used to watch the Star Wars trilogy when I was little, invent characters for myself, and 'play along' while the films were on the television.

I write, and if anyone makes the mistake of asking me about my characters, I will talk about them like they are family until I dehydrate. If I get an idea for a story going full steam in my head, I will be sucked into my imagination to the point the world around me just falls away. I also did Improvisational theater and when I was up on stage as a character, I simply WAS that character for the duration of the scene.

Imaginations rock so hard.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

*looks sidelong at Jenocyde*

I played a L.A.R.P. (Live Action Role Playing) game 1 time. It was stupid...but mostly because our mods were stupid. The only way I would ever want to do this again is with my theoretical future wife in a log cabin by the ocean faaaar away from prying eyes.
    Love is the point.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Only time I tried playing a role playing game it was some D&D knock-off (can't remember the name) and I got kicked out of the circle because I wanted to build a crack house in the enchanted forest and create "Wizard Pimps".

RPG players think I'm an asshole.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INTp

Well intuition is supposedly a right-brained trait. If iNtuition in the the MBTI sense is also right-brained (and I think it is, as they are similar), it would make sense that Ns would often be strongly visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree with everything else you said so I'm going to single this out.

Most Ss I've had the fortune to play any rules-heavy game with don't seem to be in favor of looking for loopholes or manipulating the rule set. In fact, they often refuse to alter the rules altogether for any reason.

[Ex: I was playing Monopoly and we read all the rules beforehand. I was in favor of "having different rules as long as we agree with them before the game starts and are consistent in following them." The Ss completely rejected that idea with the argument: "But those are the rules! If you don't follow them, you're not playing Monopoly! Then you're playing something else!"]

Now, I didn't mean to imply that Monopoly is as serious business as D&D. But that is a situation I've encountered several times with Ss. It's possible they were SJs though, so I might just be explaining why SJs don't play.

By the way, is this the most popular smiley for describing SJs?
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

Enneagram: 5