User Tag List

View Poll Results: How did you find your type?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looking at each of the 4 MBTI categories step-by-step

25 36.76%
  • Looking at the cognitive functions

23 33.82%
  • Reading descriptions of the 16 types online

28 41.18%
  • Taking online tests

48 70.59%
  • Socionics

6 8.82%
  • Someone on TypoC told you your type

4 5.88%
  • Someone you know told you your type

3 4.41%
  • Other (mention how)

16 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    I

Default How did you find your type?

What I mean is how did you first figure out your type (out of the 16 types)? Was it by: looking at each of the 4 categories, was it looking at cognitive functions, was it reading online descriptions of the types to see which one fit best, was it Socionics, doing online tests, people from here typed you, etc.

Poll is up, please vote. I'm interested to see the results.

I did it by looking at the functions and how they interplay with each other in the different combinations, and simply trying to match my own neuroses and behaviour to them as closely as possible (the Lenore Thompson wiki was a big help in this regard). I'm still not 100% sure, but nothing ever is and it's as close a match as I'm going to get within the confines of this particular system.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

Initially it was from taking a number of online tests, which were quite uniform in their results, and with time my initial results were solidified by understanding of functions and recognition of their presence in my day to day life.

Overall I find the stereotypical descriptions of the INTP fit me poorly. But they also fit much better than any other type description.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

First I took some online tests which narrowed the choices to 2 (INTP/ISTP), and then read both the descriptions and figured that ISTP made more sense than INTP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

My brother, an expert on mbti, typed me. He then gave me a book all about reading mbti types on people. It turned out, he typed me correctly (I read the book of course).
    Also took online tests afterwards and they also gave me the same type.

Phantonym

At first I took both MBTI and Socionics tests online. Then I went through the dichotomies and determined with which I can identify the most. Type descriptions have never fit me that well and I always take them with a grain of salt. I didn't even touch the functions part at first.
    To be honest, cognitive functions still give me the creeps and I still question my type frequently.

MBTI
    INTJ

About 20 years ago, I bought "Do What You Are" by Barron and Tieger and studied it for 3 months before I felt comfortable that I knew what my type was. Then every so often, I would question it again, just to be sure. But I've second guessed myself enough now.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I took an online test and got INFP. I was using the stumbleupon addon for firefox, that's how I found it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

garbage

All of the above over the course of about a billion years

My dad officially tested ENTJ (he's really ENTP, but pretty much everybody tests ENTJ in an office environment) and the two of us are pretty similar; he told me that I seemed ENTJ, too, and I saw how it fit. Then I started researching the system a few years later and just confused myself with an overload of what types I could be

Finally concluded ENTP mostly because Eric B said I was, and he's smart about this stuff. Then, Socionics' Reinin dichotomies, type descriptions, and intertype relationships (especially that of duality) all conclusively pointed to ILE. ILE is a better fit than ENTP.. but since the two correlate, I'm going for it.

When I first joined the forum, someone said that they would eat their hat if I were ENTP

The tests still don't mean anything.. I still test as ENFP and ENTJ under MBTI. After looking into the Enneagram system, I found that it's probably the 3 in me that brings those traits out.

MBTI
    ENFP

Initially I looked at the four functions to make the determination. And I mistyped myself. Online confirmed my actual type.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger