User Tag List

View Poll Results: How did you find your type?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looking at each of the 4 MBTI categories step-by-step

25 36.76%
  • Looking at the cognitive functions

23 33.82%
  • Reading descriptions of the 16 types online

28 41.18%
  • Taking online tests

48 70.59%
  • Socionics

6 8.82%
  • Someone on TypoC told you your type

4 5.88%
  • Someone you know told you your type

3 4.41%
  • Other (mention how)

16 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm glad this thread was started. My class in college all took the test, which was administered professionally. I remember thinking I get it and vaguely remembered something about ESFP. I always looked back thinking that I must have tested ESFP. I decided to dig it out. I've been typing myself as EnfP because I don't feel very N, it is surprising to me.

When I started looking into it this year I took a test online and then researched it.

MBTI
    INFP

Initially, I did it by taking tests and reading descriptions. This led me to the wrong type. Then, a type professional I encountered in another forum asked me to "try on" being INFP for a week or so to see how it fit. It fit very well. Subsequent consultations with a type coach cemented my preferences by going over the Keirsey temperaments and choosing a best fit (NF), interaction style (behind the scenes), and comparing type descriptions. But all this only after I had some solid understanding of the models and theories involved.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I went some therapeutic discussions with a psychologist, analytical psychology style, and found out my top cognitive styles, top thoughts and what's below. It's not what we discussed, tho; the ideas were started in the discussions, and I thought about them, researched online and thought about myself and theory.

My feeling is subordinate to my thinking. I think that was the most important finding.

Love of abstract reigns over sensory stuff for me.

I'm more natural, functional and happy as an extrovert.

I found out my top idea was to organize, plan and execute, whereas randomness and non-planning is just something I've calculated in, something I've allowed for. At least, this is true when I'm not burnt out.

So, learning about myself, thinking about my actual top preferences lead me to this type. It's the type I get mostly from tests, too.

I don't think my daily behavior is a good indicator of my type. I can spend a day being P if I've seen it's a good relaxation and mental exercise for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

We took the test in a college class. The professor was trained in administering the test and was experienced with MBTI. I had heard of such tests, but didn't know anything about them at the time...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Several years ago at alternative school I was taking a class called "Marketing Yourself" and part of the class was to take an MBTI test. Well on that test I was totally mistyped as an INFP, but it was based on the kinds of things that were going through my head at the time.

Over the last few years when I've taken the test I've gotten ESTP consistently, though, including the Keirsey Sorter II. And when I became more acquainted with KTT I realized I've always been, and acted like, an Artisan (SP) and that although my disposition has changed my tendency has been to naturally drift towards acting like an ESTP. It's like the mode of being that I naturally rubber-band to. Kinda funny because for so long I thought I was an Idealist and a quiet little INFP dude when I think that was really just my environment molding me to be a certain way that I was never quite comfortable with. I never could really trust my intuition, for instance, and I absolutely hated being so meek and letting others use me.

It's interesting to see the changes that occur as one grows up. By mid-high school I was growing more and more extroverted and I naturally developed a very charming and urbane personality. I've always been adventurous and able to move other people through suggestion and influence. I just had alot of untapped potential due to the suppression of my personality through various circumstances.

Also, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I think sometimes its better to read the descriptions since it gives a more practical description of how people act. The tests are so vague and some of the questions are difficult to apply to how you would think or act in different scenarios.
    THANK YOU!
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

I took the test, had people I know tell me, then read up on it.

MBTI
    INTP

I had to do a paper MBTI test at work. It was quite long - 8 pages or so, longer than any of the online ones at any rate. I tested as INTP. I spent the next weekend non-stop reading everything I could find about INTPs, and was when I read all the profiles. All these parts of me that I'd tried to keep hidden or didn't really want to admit to myself - all there in the profiles.

I've since done a gazillion online tests and learnt about the different cognitive functions etc. I'm less convinced of my type than I was at the beginning but most likely I am an INTP, and not say, ISTP or INTJ (or, zomg, ENTP).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Apart from socionics and someone telling me my type I did all of the above in the poll. I'm pretty sure my type is ISFP but can see how my personality bleeds into other types close to ISFP. Overall, I've found figuring out my type really useful.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    <snip>and was when I read all the profiles. All these parts of me that I'd tried to keep hidden or didn't really want to admit to myself - all there in the profiles.
    I'm there with ya, sister.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I'm there with ya, sister.
    Heh. That's what made it feel more accurate than just the Forer effect (not that I'd heard of that back then).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.