User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy background music when working/concentrating?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I, yes

19 47.50%
  • I, no

9 22.50%
  • E, yes

7 17.50%
  • E, no

3 7.50%
  • N, yes

20 50.00%
  • N, no

9 22.50%
  • S, yes

5 12.50%
  • S, no

3 7.50%
  • T, yes

16 40.00%
  • T, no

8 20.00%
  • F, yes

9 22.50%
  • F, no

4 10.00%
  • J, yes

4 10.00%
  • J, no

5 12.50%
  • P, yes

19 47.50%
  • P, no

7 17.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default Type and background noise

Do you like to have music playing in the background when you're working/concentrating, or do you prefer silence?

Does your preference differ between work/study and when do hobbies?

If you like background music, what kinds do you like for different activities?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INxJ

Silence

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

When I'm truly concentrating. As in writing, reading, etc etc. If I am doing homework sheets or math assignments, then I ALWAYS have music on.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    GONE

I like either total silence or white noise. Listening to music with lyrics in a foreign language (white noise! lol) at a soft volume is good, or street noise. I like some cafes for that reason, enough activity and sounds to blend into 'white noise'.

Basically, it has to be total silence or the noise has to come together in a way to = silence. Basically, the environment fades into the background and is not a distraction.

I am used to working from home and having the TV on is the worst time waster. Will make a simple 15 minute project drag out to almost an hour. Really hard to concentrate.

BTW, the whole 'multi-tasking' concept is a myth - in that your brain is NOT wired for it. You can juggled things and do several things in a sub par way or you can do 1 in a 'perfect' or very good way.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Sometimes I like music or tv in the background, sometimes I like silence. Music or tv I don't like, though, will distract me, and I can't tune it out. It has to be something I chose or don't mind.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It probably hinders my ability to concentrate, but I listen to music most of the time. It is quite easy for me to tune out the music and all the noise though.

So I guess it would be easier to just turn off the music to begin with, but I don't really care. It is always preferred to and used to block out other erratic external noise though. For that, familiar music is preferred, as it won't catch my attention that much.

Now, if I understand OneWithSoul's post correctly, which by my judgment seems to be missing one word, I agree. I'll rather have silence with things that truly require concentration, while with homework and etc., I just don't care.

I voted 'no', to mix up the results a little.

MBTI
    I

Yes, I like listening to music when doing work. Keeps me working for longer periods.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LII

I listen to music when doing schoolwork or a hobby, but when I am trying to concentrate I prefer almost if not total silence.

I voted yes for I, N, T and P, however, because I usually do - even if it distracts me a little. In some cases, and depending on what I am listening to, it actually keeps me more focused.
    I 79.65%
    N 67.34%
    T 80.53%
    P 75.76%

5w6 sp/so/sx

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

I pretty much always have to be listening to music if I'm alone and/or have to concentrate on something.

I variate depending on what kind of music I'm feeling at the time, not depending on the activity, except that I prefer faster, more upbeat music when I'm needing to get alot done at work.

And that I usually listen to more upbeat music unless I'm going to sleep, at which point I'll listen to calmer stuff.

I can't go to sleep without music, either.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Music or white noise if anything I'm doing has an element of tedium to it; work, mindless math homework, reading general parts of books. However, when it comes to things that I use all of my mind for, like reading for pleasure, or to understand new concepts, intense periods of essay writing, I enjoy the sound of silence.