• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Real world examples of Ti

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
What are some good examples of someone using Ti in the "real world"? I know what the definition is, I'm looking for applications. That or any sort of example of someone using Ti.

Dunno if this thread's been made already, vB search isn't too hot.

EDIT: If anyone wants, feel free to give real world examples of other functions as well.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Come on now, I know someone has to understand it well enough to give an example.

The example doesn't necessarily need to involve *doing* something, I just want any example of Ti in use. A mindset, a thought process, an activity, whatever.

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's difficult to describe. Being an introverted function it is often difficult even for the function user to recognize its activity. I find personally that my auxiliary Ne often motivates me, and my dominant Ti acts to impose "logic checks" on the connections and concepts Ne generates.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's difficult to describe. Being an introverted function it is often difficult even for the function user to recognize its activity.

That's the main reason I made this thread. I identify with the Ti description a lot, and always score very high Ti on function tests, but I can't for the life of me describe what it actually is in terms of application to anything.

I find personally that my auxiliary Ne often motivates me, and my dominant Ti acts to impose "logic checks" on the connections and concepts Ne generates.

Oddly enough, I can also identify with that a lot.

Snow Turtle

For me... Ti manifests itself in semantic battles. When I'm talking and talking to try undermine the other person position in some discussion regarding ethics. Alternatively when I start talking to myself in order to figure out something by using linear reasoning...

Guess some would call it mental masturbation. :/
It can be quite pointless sometimes.

VagrantFarce

Rephrasing what someone else says, just so you can clarify what they meant for yourself.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
When combined with Ne or Se, analysing a system to find a fault. Like mentally running through yes/no checks throughout a system. Typified by the stereotypical ISTP mechanic, who will mentally work his way through the vehicles systems to narrow down and find what is causing a problem.

When I look at a car I think "engine", when they do they can see all of the individual parts and how they link together and depend on one another. Maybe?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
moon-landing-rocket-science.jpg

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
When combined with Ne or Se, analysing a system to find a fault. Like mentally running through yes/no checks throughout a system. Typified by the stereotypical ISTP mechanic, who will mentally work his way through the vehicles systems to narrow down and find what is causing a problem.

When I look at a car I think "engine", when they do they can see all of the individual parts and how they link together and depend on one another. Maybe?

This makes a lot of sense. I do this myself, often without even realizing it, while debugging and designing systems for programming projects.

I've always wondered why ISTPs are referred to as the mechanics, now I know :p

Rephrasing what someone else says, just so you can clarify what they meant for yourself.

Interesting...this definitely rings a few bells.

Unique

When I look at a car I think "engine", when car enthusiast ISTPs do they can see all of the individual parts and how they link together and depend on one another. Maybe?

Fixed.

See what I did there?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Come on now, I know someone has to understand it well enough to give an example.

The example doesn't necessarily need to involve *doing* something, I just want any example of Ti in use. A mindset, a thought process, an activity, whatever.

Ti is a thinking function that is primarily stimulated by the inner world and not the outer. Hence it is generally concerned with using logic to solve problems that are not obviously relevant to the external world.

The most clear-cut example is the work of the following mathematicians and philosophers; Bertrand Russell, George Boole, Gottlob Frege. All three of these men sought to show that math and logic are identical as well as used logic to accomplish this. Note, their arguments were rigorous and without obvious practical applications. The rigor was put forth for its own sake.

Summary: Highly rigorous use of logic without obvious practical application is the most common example of a Ti mindset at work.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Fixed.

See what I did there?

Oops, I had a specific ISTP in mind when I wrote that. I didn't mean to say ISTPs are born with the knowledge but they do have a knack for absorbing and understanding those kind of systems if they want to.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
What about Ti combined with Ni?

imo. Ti is very shifty. Probably the most shifty of all functions. When combined with Ni, Ti will do one of two things....become even more shifty or stop in it's tracks. However, once it stops in its tracks, it immediately fires back to becoming more shifty again.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
My INTP father tends to play card and board games extremely logically. It makes him good at them, but also quite easy to read.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Someone speaks to me. I internally deconstruct and analyze their words to understand the general essence of what they're trying to say. If it doesn't fit or things seem to contradict, then I try to rephrase it for them to make sure I am understanding their point. I do this on autopilot and it would be difficult to stop myself. I think it makes me look like an asshole 3/4 of the time, when I'm probably only (intentionally) being an asshole 1/4 of the time, at most. I suppose this makes me an unintentional asshole. It may make me look stupid or inattentive when in reality I am paying a lot of attention to what they are saying.

Please correct me if this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding for the cognitive functions.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Someone speaks to me. I internally deconstruct and analyze their words to understand the general essence of what they're trying to say. If it doesn't fit or things seem to contradict, then I try to rephrase it for them to make sure I am understanding their point. I do this on autopilot and it would be difficult to stop myself. I think it makes me look like an asshole 3/4 of the time, when I'm probably only (intentionally) being an asshole 1/4 of the time, at most. I suppose this makes me an unintentional asshole. It may make me look stupid or inattentive when in reality I am paying a lot of attention to what they are saying.

Please correct me if this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding for the cognitive functions.

Sounds like Ti to me.

I actually don't mind when somebody rephrase what I said, at least they listen carefully.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I like this video. It's an internal logical framework that allows us to understand the world. Feelings included. The goal is to have a single complete understanding, which may or may not be possible dependent on missing data and missing logic. It's one of those things where understanding just builds and builds and reorganizes to form a logical picture.

For example, when I was little I would listen to my parents argue. Unlike F, I didn't bring feelings into play and I didn't just take each and every statement as a standalone statement. I would take each pro/con/idea/etc. And analyze it all together. I wouldn't take sides, I wouldn't bring feelings in of I am mad at you so I am gonna go against you. It was pure analytical construction of things in my head. Combined with Se it's a pure analytical process of everything my senses pull in. The goal is to build this framework not to accomplish a goal at this point. At another stage I use this framework to accomplish goals and live live. Sometimes I switch between analysis and use very fast and other times I can sit in analysis for hours on end. After about 8-10 hours of straight heavy analysis and trying to build this framework my head will start to hurt.

Edit: i don't like the axiom of freedom. Freedom is not a right, that's not logic. Everything can be broke down logically, we are actually trying to reach the deepest understanding. Freedom for example is a choice, the ultimate last reach for freedom is suicide. Even in a controlling country we choose whether we want to abide or not. Even in America we are not free. We still have laws and punishment and penalties. We are just "more" free then other countries. People are retarded who support "freedom" and then stipulate...this is america...you must do it this way. It's a logical fail. Axiom in the way explained is more TJ tradition then Ti

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been working closely with a Ti heavy INTP coworker. When I've found a problem and present it to him in Ne form, he processes it, sometimes within minutes, sometimes for a day, then he retells it in Ti-form as if he discovered it himself. I mostly find this really confusing.