User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    This is pretty much how I look at it.

Well, in most cases it's related to finding a solution. The typical (abstract, arbitrarily automotive) setup is this:

Me: Well, I looked at it and the delivery truck is broken. It could be a ton of things [iterates possibilities], but we're not going to be able to fix it without a cherrypicker and we can't get one until Monday. We're going to have to let this one go for now.

Him, after a disconnected amount of time, and his own investigation: Qlip, I looked at the truck and ran some diagnostics and it looks like the timing belt is broken, I just don't see if there's anything we can do about it right now, we're stuck.

And now that I see it, it seems like Te orientation vs Ti orientation. Which in a team can be good, but I find somewhat irritating because I find the process being over thorough for the work we are in. Also, like I said, I find the presentation rather odd.

Timing belt doesn't require a cherry picker. While the conclusion was the same, yours was incomplete. With your solution you woud have had to wait until another day to research and then had to go back and order a timing belt. I do see where he is coming from...a cherry picker is not needed to do analysis and while your possibilities froze you in your tracks he saw that it's possible we may not need one. In this situation this is the case, but what if you had a timing belt and changed it right then and could change it right then and there. Or was an easy fix. You would have pushed off what could have been fixed because of unknowns. As a Ti if I didn't have time and there were other pressing issues, I woud have agreed due to the time it takes to analyze. If I had nothing else to do its more efficient to use the time then to wait until later. Completely depends on whole situation as to the outcome.
    Im out, its been fun

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    More MMA fighters than I would have imagined are actually INTP types.
    Interesting. Do you think Ti comes into play in their training? If so, how would you speculate that it is used by them in their sport?

MBTI
    STP

More MMA fighters than I would have imagined are actually INTP types.
    Lol
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Timing belt doesn't require a cherry picker. While the conclusion was the same, yours was incomplete. With your solution you woud have had to wait until another day to research and then had to go back and order a timing belt. I do see where he is coming from...a cherry picker is not needed to do analysis and while your possibilities froze you in your tracks he saw that it's possible we may not need one. In this situation this is the case, but what if you had a timing belt and changed it right then and could change it right then and there. Or was an easy fix. You would have pushed off what could have been fixed because of unknowns. As a Ti if I didn't have time and there were other pressing issues, I woud have agreed due to the time it takes to analyze. If I had nothing else to do its more efficient to use the time then to wait until later. Completely depends on whole situation as to the outcome.
    Hah, serves me right for attempting to use an fictional automotive situation with an ISTP. This all would've been dependent on the specifics, which I do take into account. My analysis would've been complete, for the current state of the task, perhaps not for the problem.

The probably more relevant point is we work in situations where we have all of what we need on hand, and the landscape can be entirely different in a weeks time. Being thorough on that has its merits in figuring out reusable solutions that pay off, but individual situations can be irrelevant within a weeks time. He has a tendency to want to analyze everything, independent of those factors, which is why I thought he was Ti heavy.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Hah, serves me right for attempting to use an fictional automotive situation with an ISTP. This all would've been dependent on the specifics, which I do take into account. My analysis would've been complete, for the current state of the task, perhaps not for the problem.

The probably more relevant point is we work in situations where we have all of what we need on hand, and the landscape can be entirely different in a weeks time. Being thorough on that has its merits in figuring out reusable solutions that pay off, but individual situations can be irrelevant within a weeks time. He has a tendency to want to analyze everything, independent of those factors, which is why I thought he was Ti heavy.
    I would again have to know the landscape to determine how things can be reused and in what way vs throw awayable analysis. Knowledge is something that builds on itself and even as you analyse things you are working on analysis I skills which apply everywhere. Data is not always relevant, nor is packagable reusable solutions. Understanding math applies across so many fields. To understand a carburetor is physics and introduces you to principles of air flow. Ignition timing introduce you to mechanical as well as chemical timings, not to mention knocks which introduce you to change of temperature with compression and how different chemicals have different flash points and also timing issues. Knowledge spans so much that as you learn the understanding of something you can become proficient in so many areas even with a changing landscape. I do think what I said above in this post is more TiNi based then purely Ti though.

FWIW my INTJ dad got me into fixing cars, my mom taught me finances, my gramma taught me quilting, I learn everything from everyone, programming was one of my sisters. I am not limited to alot of things people think ISTPs are limited to.
    Im out, its been fun

Lol
    Maybe they were bullied more as kids and decided that no one would bully them if they learned to fight like badass animals

edit: unsure of Christopher Langan's (reportedly one of the smartest people in the world) type but I read that he got tired of being bullied so began lifting weights...he was a bouncer at one point.
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Poki liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Maybe they were bullied more as kids and decided that no one would bully them if they learned to fight like badass animals
    Wanna be ISTPs must be why I am a programmer, picked on for being stupid so I had to become a badass INTP...lol
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, asynartetic liked this post

Wanna be ISTPs must be why I am a programmer, picked on for being stupid so I had to become a badass INTP...lol
    You seem pretty intelligent to me. You have the best of both worlds.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post

edit: unsure of Christopher Langan's (reportedly one of the smartest people in the world) type but I read that he got tired of being bullied so began lifting weights...he was a bouncer at one point.
    "Langan took a string of labor-intensive jobs for some time, and by his mid-40s had been a construction worker, cowboy, Forest Service Ranger, farmhand, and, for over twenty years, a bouncer on Long Island."

That doesn't surprise me. Although each MBTI has its stereotypical occupations, what they don't tell you is that the INTP type can often be found in a variety of different kinds of occupations. That Langan was a college drop-out doesn't surprise me either, as college has little of value to offer except for a lot of boring, routine studying, with a possibly unused and unvalued diploma at the end.

INTPs may spend their lives doing lowly restaurant work, painting and roofing houses, carpentry work - anything to get them by financially while they pursue their private interests.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

"Langan took a string of labor-intensive jobs for some time, and by his mid-40s had been a construction worker, cowboy, Forest Service Ranger, farmhand, and, for over twenty years, a bouncer on Long Island."

That doesn't surprise me. Although each MBTI has its stereotypical occupations, what they don't tell you is that the INTP type can often be found in a variety of different kinds of occupations. That Langan was a college drop-out doesn't surprise me either, as college has little of value to offer except for a lot of boring, routine studying, with a possibly unused and unvalued diploma at the end.

INTPs may spend their lives doing lowly restaurant work, painting and roofing houses, carpentry work - anything to get them by financially while they pursue their private interests.
    That's almost comically tragic. I have no right to compare myself to someone as brilliant as Langan, but I dropped out of college and until my current job (purchasing) I only worked "menial" jobs (warehouse, assembly, security, fast food, waiter). I'm still not sure I know what I want to be when I grow up. Oh wait, I'm already in my 30's.