User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

As I usually say when this comes up, we try to be a site where typology can be investigated and critiqued, not just swallowed wholesale. Which is why we don't delete posts that are critical of MBTI. We welcome skeptics; I am one myself.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I agree that if little school boys and girls are being seduced into a cult based around mbti then there is a problem. I don't think that's the case however. Here in the U.S. very few people are conscious of it, and even fewer have a passing interest in it. Some people with an interest in self improvement may get a little enthused at first exposure to it but most quickly see it's limitations and uses. Most "serious" researchers in the field have moved beyond it and are looking for and working with theories other than MBTI.
    If that is the case, why is it used extensively in your military and business and why are there 'schools' profitably teaching it.

MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

And I would be alarmed if my military and my businesses were using astrology.

I would not invest in any business that practised astrology and I would not feel safe if my military practised astrology.

Same with MBTI.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If that is the case, why is it used extensively in your military and business and why are there 'schools' profitably teaching it.
    Because it's a personality test.

Breaking up common aspects of behavior, and assigning them to different personality types, while it lacks scientific precision, can prove to be a useful way of looking at behavior.

Personality theory, or temperament theory, began with Greek doctor Hippocrates and the four humors. MBTI is a more refined version of this, offering 16 humors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Knowing who you really are is liberating.
    That is something no one can give you in a 4-letter code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizy View Post
    If only more people knew and understood the truth that MBTI provides. Discovering your type is liberating. No longer distracted by pursuits that are not befitting one's type but rather becoming empowered to focus on areas which your type is suited for.
    I agree with both of these posts. MBTI is only dangerous when people try to fit their entire lives and interactions with all people to the confines of what MBTI teaches. It's a good place to start.. to begin the process of delving on in. It's just may not be the end all answer to all of our questions...

MBTI has no more truth value than astrology.

And I would be alarmed if my military and my businesses were using astrology.

I would not invest in any business that practised astrology and I would not feel safe if my military practised astrology.

Same with MBTI.
    Some use it as a piece of data but none use it in all decisions. I highly doubt it even weighs that heavy in personnel and human resource decisions within these companies if there is evidence to the contrary.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Nizy View Post
    If only more people knew and understood the truth that MBTI provides. Discovering your type is liberating. No longer distracted by pursuits that are not befitting one's type but rather becoming empowered to focus on areas which your type is suited for.
    Yeah, as much as I love Victor, I agree with Nizy on this.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Yeah, as much as I love Victor, I agree with Nizy on this.
    What Wonk, you've defected?

Well let me appeal to your better nature. You don't believe in astrology for good reason. Well you have exactly the same reasons for not believing in MBTI.

And like the prodigal you can return to the fold.

I mean think what fun this site is and how much better it would be without the irrationality of MBTI.

There are lots of other personality tests that are valid and reliable when given by a psychometrician.

I mean Wonk you are a revolutionary in a revolutionary society, surely you will join the revolution here. Think of this as the Boston Tea Party, Fort Sumpter has been fired upon and all stout sons are called to fight for Freedom.

You are no longer a British colony and this is no longer MBTI Central.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think that most people live by the MBTI like it's a cult, although this forum does definitely give off that impression. There are a lot of threads here that just take the concept way too far, and try and use it to answer questions about their/others lives that can't be answered by an unconfirmed, shallow personality test.

MBTI might be good for workplace applicability and fixing communication and teamwork gaps, but beyond that I don't think it has much use. It's too fuzzy.

Even though I personally don't take MBTI too seriously, I like coming here for a few reasons:
    - A lot of the members here are smart, and give interesting discussions
    - Even though I don't necessarily believe in MBTI's applicability to a lot of thread topics, I still enjoy reading those threads and others responses to them for various other reasons
    - I can talk with people whom I already know a bit about. If someone lists "ENTP" under their profile, you know that regardless of how much merit MBTI has, that that person identifies with the ENTP profile. This means that I can talk to different kinds of people about different things. This isn't full-proof, of course.

Please ignore anything that doesn't make sense, I woke up 5 minutes ago
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

MBTI is a cult based on an invalid and unreliable personality test.
    You know who you remind me of?

Those people who accused Socrates of corrupting the youth in ancient times.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    You know who you remind me of?

Those people who accused Socrates of corrupting the youth in ancient times.
    Do you think that MBTI has as much validity as the words of Socrates?

EDIT: Not taking a stance, just curious.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.