• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function to Type calculator I wrote

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It says I'm an INFJ, but it's SO close to INTJ that I only have to move the Fe/Fi slider two positions to the left to get it to say INTJ instead. One position over, and it's already switched to INxJ. So I'm literally two/three points on a slider away from being INTJ. Ironically, the main thing that keeps me from being one seems to be my lack of Fi and preference for Ti. If it were even a little stronger, I'd apparently be one. Oh, and not only that... if I moved the Ni/Ne slider two positions toward Ne instead, I'd be ENTP. Freaky.

On the T+F vs S+N slider, if I move to the T+F side by one point, I'd get ENTJ. If I move to the S+N side (or keep it in the middle of the T/F vs S/N), I'd get INTJ. Hmmmm.

*Edit: The Ni decreases on the T+F side. Heh, didn't see that. :laugh:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
On the T+F vs S+N slider, if I move to the T+F side by one point, I'd get ENTJ. If I move to the S+N side (or keep it in the middle of the T/F vs S/N), I'd get INTJ. Hmmmm.

*Edit: The Ni decreases on the T+F side. Heh, didn't see that. :laugh:

I didn't mess with that slider, but I found if I move towards the T+F side, I get INTP.

So...

Moving two points towards Fi OR Te = INTJ

Moving two points towards Ne = ENTP

Moving four points towards T+F = INTP

That means that, if I've got this right, you're an INTJ who's on the border of being an ENTJ, while I'm an INFJ who stands near a border with every NT type EXCEPT ENTJ. That's an interesting parallel/inversion there.

Interestingly enough, ENTJ is the most symbolic of the NT qualities that make me certain I'm not one: Practicality, drive, belligerence and bluntness. All NTs, even INTPs, have a part of those ENTJ qualities, but whatever it is their nature adds to NTs, it's something I can't stomach while they can.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I didn't mess with that slider, but I found if I move towards the T+F side, I get INTP.

So...

Moving two points towards Fi OR Te = INTJ

Moving two points towards Ne = ENTP

Moving four points towards T+F = INTP

That means that, if I've got this right, you're an INTJ who's on the border of being an ENTJ, while I'm an INFJ who stands near a border with every NT type EXCEPT ENTJ. That's an interesting parallel/inversion there.

Interestingly enough, ENTJ is the most symbolic of the NT qualities that make me certain I'm not one: Practicality, drive, belligerence and bluntness. All NTs, even INTPs, have a part of those ENTJ qualities, but whatever it is their nature adds to NTs, it's something I can't stomach while they can.

Yeah, I don't have a lot in common with the NTPs. No matter how much I move the sliders within my comfort zone, I could never get a NTP anything. The only other two results I could get are ISTP (move 3 points towards the "Ti vs. Te" side) and ISFP (move 2 points towards the F on the "T vs. F" scale).

<By order of preference:>

1. INTJ
2. ENTJ - 1 point towards "T+F" side; "T+F vs. S+N" scale
3. ISTP - 3 points towards the "Ti" side; "Ti vs. Te" scale
4. ISFP - 2 points towards the "F" side; "T vs. F" scale

I was pondering about the ISTPs before and it's no wonder why I best relate to the ISTP type from the TP group. I often use their cognitive style to build a stronger connection to introverted thinking, because it was very difficult to use the NTP's approach as a starting point. And the same goes for learning Se -- the other three SP's application of it seems so far removed from my version of pragmatism. However, once I gained some Se knowledge/skill (via the ISTP), I could see the Se benefits in the rest.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact that it "can't decide" which of the four INxx types you are simply reveals that you can't decide which of the four INxx types you are, not that you're just magically 99% borderline between all four.

People in general vastly overestimate how "borderline" they are because they want to sound balanced, but in reality, being truly "on the border" between any dichotomy other than I/E is incredibly rare/almost impossible. Chances are you don't understand enough function theory yet to have accurately determined your own type--this doesn't mean you don't have one.

P.S., in my self-described expert opinion based on about four of your posts, my preliminary guess is INFJ. But this really can't be tested and there's no way for me to find out how accurate my assessment is without spending a LOT of time talking to you and getting to know you. You answer 70 pre-formatted multiple choice questions and expect to get an accurate answer on your inner psyche? Not happening.
I agree that it ultimately comes down to your judgment and understanding; a test is just a tool to help you think about yourself in ways you wouldn't otherwise consider. In my case, I've decided that I'm an INFP who places a lot of value on Ti and Ni, which has allowed me to develop those functions. Because they come easily to me, I'm pretty similar to the other INs, even though my core type is INFP. (Also, I do know function theory, and very thoroughly.)

Okay. . . Now I need to think of something relevant to the test, or else this will get off-topic. Well no, I'll just point you to my thread in "What's my Type?" If you want to discuss that aspect of my post, I mean, and you probably shouldn't since I've already decided my type. :)

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting. If I move the scale two points away from Ni, I'd turn from INTJ to xNTx. Otherwise, it'd take five points on the various scales to take me to INFJ, ISTJ, ESFP and ENFP.

G

garbage

This thing says that I'm ENxP.. the difference of one more "click" toward T on the T vs. F scale pegs me as either T or F.

It's a neat application to play around with!

wolfy

awsm
That's a really cool app to play with. I got a fluctuating ISFP/ESFP as I played with it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that it ultimately comes down to your judgment and understanding; a test is just a tool to help you think about yourself in ways you wouldn't otherwise consider. In my case, I've decided that I'm an INFP who places a lot of value on Ti and Ni, which has allowed me to develop those functions. Because they come easily to me, I'm pretty similar to the other INs, even though my core type is INFP. (Also, I do know function theory, and very thoroughly.)

Okay. . . Now I need to think of something relevant to the test, or else this will get off-topic. Well no, I'll just point you to my thread in "What's my Type?" If you want to discuss that aspect of my post, I mean, and you probably shouldn't since I've already decided my type. :)

If you value Ti and Ni so highly, you are almost certainly not an INFP.

No offense, but if you think that, your functional understanding is not nearly as thorough as you think it is.

The self-image of many NPs is based almost entirely on Ne skills, and so when they hear basic description of what Ni is they think "wow yeah questioning stuff and changing perspectives yeah man that's totally me!"

I don't blame you; I still have difficulty understanding Ni myself, but--most people I've seen who emphasize Ni and Ti as the top two are just really antisocial INFJs with malfunctioning auxiliary Fe. (That or INxPs who have incorrectly labeled themselves because they can't stop mistaking their Ti for Ni--I mean, Ni just sounds so cool and smart and deep, how could it NOT apply to INxPs???)

Most of the problem is a result of bad function description/poorly written and misleading attempts to "test" your type/function usage like the one in this thread.

Seriously, that shit gives you a very very very vague idea at best of which archetype you might fit. Saying things like "I'm an INFP who values Ti and Ni really highly" is just absurd and probably indicates gaps in your theoretical understanding.

Hey so I just learned actionscript and decided to write a program that shows how to convert functions to MBTI code. The cool thing about it is that you can drag around sliders and see how close different types are to each other.

Anyways, here's a link (I have no idea if this is kosher, but whatever).

http://www.fogmagazineonline.com/MBTI.swf

Ummm....why exactly is this necessary in the first place? Here's all the conversion you'll ever need:

xNxP = Ne
xNxJ = Ni
xSxP = Se
xSxJ = Si

xxTP = Ti
xxTJ = Te
xxFP = Fi
xxFJ = Fe

There ya go, just saved you hours of coding/test-taking.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hey so I just learned actionscript and decided to write a program that shows how to convert functions to MBTI code. The cool thing about it is that you can drag around sliders and see how close different types are to each other.

Anyways, here's a link (I have no idea if this is kosher, but whatever).

http://www.fogmagazineonline.com/MBTI.swf

That's really amazing, great job.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
simulated said:
No offense, but if you think that, your functional understanding is not nearly as thorough as you think it is.
I understand the functions perfectly; I just bend the rules to suit my purposes. That's a privilege that comes with any theoretical construct, since [cliche]the map is never the territory[/cliche], and other maps are just as valid in their own right (although not all of them are as useful).

But yes, I'm really looking forward to the updates on this. I'm pretty fond of it, even if it is "just a test."

redacted

Ummm....why exactly is this necessary in the first place? Here's all the conversion you'll ever need:

xNxP = Ne
xNxJ = Ni
xSxP = Se
xSxJ = Si

xxTP = Ti
xxTJ = Te
xxFP = Fi
xxFJ = Fe

There ya go, just saved you hours of coding/test-taking.

We get it; you're smart.

Anyways, am I wrong, or were you arguing against functions mapping directly to types just a few months ago?

I honestly don't understand why it's necessary for you to even post stuff like this, especially since I've proven in this thread that I entirely understand functions. Plus, if you broadened your perspective a bit, you'd see that maybe my point is to have a visual aid for people that don't actually understand function theory in the way that I do.

It's not that you're wrong, it's just that you're somehow blind to the fact that your posting tone/style just makes people annoyed and less likely to listen to the meaning you're trying to convey. Or maybe you're not blind and you get some sort of validation from proving yourself. Either way, you aren't really accomplishing anything. Everyone you've argued against in this thread clearly has all of the knowledge you're talking about.

Also, it's nice to be able to see how close certain types are to each other, which may be harder for people to conceptualize without a visual aid like this.

I usually don't even care about your argumentativeness; it's just insulting to me in this context. Now please, try to be nicer. Thank you.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an INFP who values Ti and Ni really highly.

God damn, did you just see how absurd I was there? That totally filled my dose of absurdity for the day!

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTP who highly values Ne,Ti, and Ni in descending value.

redacted

Changed it up a tiny bit; made it easier to talk about where you fit on spectrums.

I'm probably -6, 6, -3, 2, -2, 6, -1

Cheetah

MBTI Type
iNtp
Very cool. I have to move the sliders well off where they are to lose INTP, except for two spots: T + F v N + S easily changes me to ENTP, and two further to the right on T v F changes me to xNxx.

redacted

@Rep comment I got about not understanding how to use this thing -- quick explanation:
Ti vs. Te and those other three should be self explanatory.
T vs. F = (Ti + Te) vs. (Fi +Fe) (S vs. N is analogous)
T + F vs. S + N = (Te + Ti + Fe + Fi) vs. (Se + Si + Ne + Ni)

should make sense after that.

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
That is so odd. It was obvious INTP until I compared S+N vs T+F. I'm one point over the barrier to ENTP. I love the program by the way, but since I know I'm introverted, I would base it on my abnormally high Ni (which is even more developed than my abnormally Te). You could call me a "false ENTP." Seems like solid programming though.

Also, what happens if one of your functions is more than ten points higher than the one you're comparing it to? Because this happened to me a couple times and I realize now that if it hadn't I would have actually gotten INTP.

Last edited: