• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S drawn to science?

Noamdofthehills

"That Sensors and Intuitives are often drawn to different subjects in school should come as no surprise. Intuitives are often more interested in theoretical studies like philosophy, psychology, sociology, and literature, while Sensors are often interested in more tangible subjects with practical applications, such as engineering, science, and business."

From The Principles of Personality Type
Excerpted from The Art of Speed Reading People: How To Size People Up and Speak Their Language
By Paul D. Tieger, Barbara Barron-Tieger
The Principles of Personality Type : The Art of Speed Reading People

I was always under the impression that science was the realm of the N. Thoughts, opinions?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Depends on how you define science.

Put politically incorrectly, Ss would be very interested in watching things go "boom."

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well science is often about linking abstract theory to concrete reality or vice versa, so both Ns and Ss meet somewhere in the middle.

I actually think the scientific method is quite an ST approach to things.

G

Glycerine

I think S types would tend to do better at biology, earth science, and possibly chemistry since those subjects are so detail-oriented and hands-on.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
"That Sensors and Intuitives are often drawn to different subjects in school should come as no surprise. Intuitives are often more interested in theoretical studies like philosophy, psychology, sociology, and literature, while Sensors are often interested in more tangible subjects with practical applications, such as engineering, science, and business."

From The Principles of Personality Type
Excerpted from The Art of Speed Reading People: How To Size People Up and Speak Their Language
By Paul D. Tieger, Barbara Barron-Tieger
The Principles of Personality Type : The Art of Speed Reading People

I was always under the impression that science was the realm of the N. Thoughts, opinions?

I made a thread on this, and people voted by type: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...2-relation-between-type-favorite-subject.html

Most NFs were interested in English and History.
Most NTs were interested in Science.
Most SJs were interested in Math (although few people voted).
Most SPs were interested in English (although few people voted).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Science is great, as long as their is some practical application.
No science is interesting without a lab involved...

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I generally prefer math over science.

I think S types would tend to do better at biology, earth science, and possibly chemistry since those subjects are so detail-oriented and hands-on.
Chemistry, yeah. Earth Science was pretty fun for me because all the material just came naturally to me. I didn't do so well in Bio, but that's probably mostly because I was just a stupid little freshman.
No science is interesting without a lab involved...

I actually didn't like the labs so much in high school. I preferred to just learn from the teacher or textbook.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually didn't like the labs so much in high school. I preferred to just learn from the teacher or textbook.

Yea.. The highschool ones.. Not so much.
End of the day, hot in the room, etc..

College ones are better. They help with the lecture a lot.
Get a good redbull and formaldehyde buzz going for some nice kitty kidney viewings!!

Noamdofthehills

Science is about theories and principles, not facts and figures. This is something many people do not realize because of the United State's horrid public education system.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
hot in the room
I actually wouldn't mind that so much. Well, maybe, if it were inside, it wouldn't be as tolerable. But I just loooooove the heat... The way I remember it, I would be up early in the morning, tired, not to mention cold. And the labs were just no fun.

They'd better!

Haha...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I don't like textbooks, period. Just too dull for me, I can't seem to get interested in them, I would prefer reading slides or short notes.

Haha not all of them, at least in my experience.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Science is about theories and principles, not facts and figures. This is something many people do not realize because of the United State's horrid public education system.

Tell that to Marie Curie who and whose husband died of radiation poisoning.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
The science classes that I had were really frustrating. I mean if the classes were not just an absolute slaughter then I would definitely take them but however...they're not. But that's just my P.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just starting grad school in biology (medicine technically, but not the kind that makes you a Dr. so it's better to say biology).

Not a fan of chem or physics, although they were pretty straightforward and way better than something like english/literature :sick:. I do like psychology though (like everyone else here right?).

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I started out studying chemistry in preparation for medicine. I got bored with the lab work and changed my studies to politics and french language. I have since developed a sort of disdain for scientists, who (and this is probably a stereotype) in my own words often "just don't get it."

MBTI Type
INxJ
Meh.

I've actually never known as many NTs as I do now, until upper level science/math university courses. Most of my NT friends are in science/engineering.

Jaguar

I have 2 degrees: Psychology and English/Literature
I studied Geology as a kid and into college, but decided against a Geology degree.

Any type can be drawn to anything.
What's next--starting a thread that only S's or N's eat vanilla ice cream?
:D

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think science require both the Ns and the Ss. The Ss tend to act as the empiricists whom are needed to prove the concepts to be true through trial and error experimentation. I do know a few STs in the sciences, but as a general rule I have observed NTs going in that direction.