User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Feeling

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Feeling

To my knowledge I haven't made a post about this, yet, but I've been thinking about it for awhile. When I look back on past experiences/situations, I can never recall my emotional state at the time. I think this is what makes it difficult to feel totally comfortable in new social situations. It's like it's my first time every time. (I'm a lot better than I used to be, but you get the idea.) So...my question is...can you recall you felt at a certain time in the past? and...what is your type?

This could also be why I get so restless doing nothing. I just want to kill myself (figuratively) if I don't get out of the house at least a couple of times per day. It's like if I stop going then my mind just goes bland. Always looking for the next high time.

...hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say here...I know it isn't very clear.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    To my knowledge I haven't made a post about this, yet, but I've been thinking about it for awhile. When I look back on past experiences/situations, I can never recall my emotional state at the time. I think this is what makes it difficult to feel totally comfortable in new social situations. It's like it's my first time every time. (I'm a lot better than I used to be, but you get the idea.) So...my question is...can you recall you felt at a certain time in the past? and...what is your type?

This could also be why I get so restless doing nothing. I just want to kill myself (figuratively) if I don't get out of the house at least a couple of times per day. It's like if I stop going then my mind just goes bland. Always looking for the next high time.

...hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say here...I know it isn't very clear.
    I must say this is very strange. Have you seen the doctor? Maybe Ritalin...
    You poor fellow.

I do not need Ritalin. You see, I recall everything so clearly.

I got ill in a car in 1952. It was August. I had to throw up seven times in just four hours. It did not feel good. To tell you the truth I felt nausea.

In 1957 I fell ill on a boat. No, it was not a boat, it was larger than a boat but not as large as a ship. All right then, it was a vessel. It was August.
    I had to throw up seven times in just a few hours. It did not feel good. To tell you the truth I felt nausea.

In Stockhom, at the top of the Nordiska Kompaniet my brother was about to throw up. He felt nausea. He almost choked in his mayonnaise.
    I am sure he did not feel good.

But I have a word of consolation for you.
    The next time you are about to throw up think this:

This is awful for now. Yes. But I do not need to live this again in my memories.

MBTI
    INXP

When I look back on past experiences/situations, I can never recall my emotional state at the time.
    I'm an INTP with a weak Thinker preference.

I relive my state of mind when ruminating on environmental/sensory experiences, such as the awe I felt as a small child craning my neck in a vain attempt to see the top of a gigantic sequoia that I was standing before.

In regards to social situations, I recall having experienced intense emotions and can relive them if I dwell on the occurrence, especially if it was humorous (I may laugh aloud while reminiscing), sad (dropping me into a low mood), or irritating (which can escalate into a confrontational state of mind). I may feel dread--or even panic--at the thought of a repeat if the emotion was unpleasant. I've felt spontaneous tenderness in response to memories of loved ones in which tenderness was expressed. Usually, though, I need to dwell on the memory to summon the emotion.

This is an inconvenience to me, because there's often a delay between when I feel annoyed about a perceived injustice and when I react to it.

I think this is what makes it difficult to feel totally comfortable in new social situations. It's like it's my first time every time.
    So you feel like a (social) virgin, huh? I sense a song in the works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    OMNi

There is an old Taoist saying...

"People will seldom remember what you said or did but they will always remember how you made them feel."

I thought this was a fairly universal concept but apparently you are an exception to the rule. I vividly remember how I felt when it comes to anything important.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I remember that instant tightening in my gut and face flush that comes when I accidentally make myself look like a total idiot. (most of these are from the awkward adolescent years.)
    I don't remember anything but stress-feelings. This is why I started journaling. I find it endlessly helpful when I'm trying to understand myself better. I can learn so much more by simply recording things.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I remember that instant tightening in my gut and face flush that comes when I accidentally make myself look like a total idiot. (most of these are from the awkward adolescent years.)
    I don't remember anything but stress-feelings. This is why I started journaling. I find it endlessly helpful when I'm trying to understand myself better. I can learn so much more by simply recording things.
    Hrm, I can identify with this. I do remember embarassing moments. It's so helpful...
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    OMNi

Hrm, I can identify with this. I do remember embarassing moments. It's so helpful...
    Negative emotions are generally much easier to remember than positive ones. It's hard for me to believe that you can't remember feelings of disgust, sadness, anger, and fear.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not saying that I can't recall the feeling of an emotion. I'm saying that I normally don't remember how I felt at a certain time.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Interesting. I do remember my feelings, with great intensity. What I don't remember at such great detail, are the sensory (S) things. Well it's by far my weakest function, so there. There's exceptions tho.

I automatically disregard as many details as possible, thinking that the details will be there waiting for me, should I ever need to see them again. So I memorize details that I must know which I may NOT check again any time I wish. Perhaps you haven't stored the feelings in your memory, if you are unable to remember them?

Not sure if this is helpful, but...

From Authentic Happiness by Martin E. P. Seligman, Ph.D

There are three ways you can lastingly feel more happiness about your past. The first is intellectual--letting go of an ideology that your past determines your future. The hard determinism that underpins this dogma is empirically barren, and philosophically far from self-evident, and the passivity it engenders is imprisoning. The second and third [voluntary controls] are emotional, and both involve voluntarily changing your memories. Increasing your gratitude about the good things in your past intensifies positive memories, and learning how to forgive past wrongs defuses the bitterness that makes satisfaction impossible.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield