User Tag List

123 Last

Default Typology and Nostalgia

Here I am on the Typology site yet my immune system keeps going off. What's going on?

I think the answer's simple. Typology is a form of categorization. And categorization derives from print and the printing press. Yet we have left the printing press behind and we are now communicating electronically, instantly.

A book starts off with a word, then a sentence, then a paragraph, then a chapter, then a book, then a genre and then a library.

Books train us to think in categories for books are categorized. Hey, in a library what is the first thing you look at - the Category.

Categories are ordered and linear while the electronic media are instantaneous. So categories aren't much use in the electronic media.

And this I think is where I get my immune response from - we are using an electronic medium but thinking in terms of literacy and books.

So Typology is a form of nostalgia. And Typology is charming simply because we all understand it.

The problem is that Typology promises us understanding of ourselves, but the price we pay for being Typologists is that we are blind to what we are doing.

It's a peculiar thing that we prefer the comfort of nostalgia to the excitement of reality.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I think people with a preference for thoughtfulness and imagination will always enjoy nostalgia. Those of us that frequent internet forums are indeed a peculiar breed of people.

Victor I find your posts more enjoyable as time goes on, maybe I'm just getting used to you
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

probably the insanity slowly seeping in

Sniffles

MBTI is a religion fuh fuh fuh......

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Victor I find your posts more enjoyable as time goes on, maybe I'm just getting used to you
    How lovely you are finding my posts more enjoyable. I write them for enjoyment. And enjoyment shared is enjoyment doubled.

And my mother would tell me that most things depend on what you are used to, so I am pleased you are getting used to me.

I must admit it took a while before I got used to me, so you have stolen a march on me.

It's nice to hear from you.

Victor.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think the answer's simple. Typology is a form of categorization. And categorization derives from print and the printing press. Yet we have left the printing press behind and we are now communicating electronically, instantly.
    I *think* I get your gist, but I'm not sure. Doesn't categorization stem from language itself? Wouldn't something that defies categorization have literally no name?

And this I think is where I get my immune response from - we are using an electronic medium but thinking in terms of literacy and books.
    Every forum I have ever visited has been organized like a library. There is a main topic that the forums centers around, with sub-forums that focus on subtopics of that main topic. Sometimes there are sub-sub-topics, and so on. Posts are moved to their proper category by mods (librarians) if they are posted in the wrong sub-forum. Or, am I misunderstanding and you're arguing that such structures should not be create online as they are no longer relevant to digital mediums?

The problem is that Typology promises us understanding of ourselves, but the price we pay for being Typologists is that we are blind to what we are doing.
    So, we create type categories out of a longing for the sensation that nostalgia brings, and this blinds us to the fact that we are categorizing? I do not see that this is the case on these forums...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    STP

Isnt stereotyping a form of categorization that we all must fight to some extent because we all seem to break the stereotypes in some form or fashion.

Dont we all seem to fight some part of Typology because of stereotyping or categorization? Maybe this is your immune system being thrown out of wack or maybe this is what you were getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I *think* I get your gist, but I'm not sure. Doesn't categorization stem from language itself? Wouldn't something that defies categorization have literally no name?

Every forum I have ever visited has been organized like a library. There is a main topic that the forums centers around, with sub-forums that focus on subtopics of that main topic. Sometimes there are sub-sub-topics, and so on. Posts are moved to their proper category by mods (librarians) if they are posted in the wrong sub-forum. Or, am I misunderstanding and you're arguing that such structures should not be create online as they are no longer relevant to digital mediums?

So, we create type categories out of a longing for the sensation that nostalgia brings, and this blinds us to the fact that we are categorizing? I do not see that this is the case on these forums...
    Ask yourself - why isn't the telephone organized like a library?

And you can see it with Google. Google isn't organized like a library.

A library depends on print while the electronic media require no library.

This site is organized like a library because that is what we are used to.

Print has led us to linear, sequential thinking and ineluctably to the library.

Whereas in the electronic media everything happens all at once.

Think of the telephone. It would be ridiculous to think in linear sequential terms. Ring me by typing shortus into Skype and put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Isnt stereotyping a form of categorization that we all must fight to some extent because we all seem to break the stereotypes in some form or fashion.

Dont we all seem to fight some part of Typology because of stereotyping or categorization? Maybe this is your immune system being thrown out of wack or maybe this is what you were getting at.
    I think it is more fundamental. Print gave rise to libraries. While the electronic media gives rise to all-at-once tribalism.

MBTI
    I

Don't understand the relationship between typology and nostalgia. I'm lost.