• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and perception of facial expression poll

Is the person in this photo angry? (If unsure, choose your best guess.)

• I am Fe-dominant. Yes.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • I am Fe-dominant. No.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I am Fi-dominant. Yes.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • I am Fi-dominant. No.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I am Te-dominant. Yes.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I am Te-dominant. No.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • I am Ti-dominant. Yes.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I am Ti-dominant. No.

Votes: 19 24.4%

• Total voters

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I guess since Si-dominant isn't up there, then I'm Te-dominant. Yes, he looks angry.

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Same as the general Ti consensus.

No, but he looks like he's either focusing intently on something or just caught at a bad angle.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think he looks like he is trying to look serious.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He looks annoyed/ on the verge of anger. However, just a photo is sort of not fair! ;) I try to take in other body language as well.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I’m Ni dominant and I voted no on (ooh, palindrome) anger. This person is obviously outside (unless that’s a giant fake tree) and the picture is shot from above.
Maybe the expression is annoyance?

Possible scenario: People walking outside and going uphill. The person in front stops suddenly while the one behind is like “Wth, why are you stopping.” They then are annoyed when the person in front takes out a camera and says, “Smile.” To which the person being photographed says “Suck it, I’m not smiling.”

I’m going with annoyance but not full blown anger.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I can kind of see constipated now also.

Artichoke

MBTI Type
ENFP
my first instinct was that he was angry, but if i look at him for longer not so much, just intense...

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
his eyes are not angry, his mouth has a slight frown. I voted no. maybe negative emotion is involved but not as intense as anger.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
He looks either bored or "excuse me wtf are you doing?"

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Answer and explanation

I took this self-portrait as an attempt to capture an expression which conveyed Ti. There were a few extreme impressions people got from the photo, which was an amusing surprise. The computer programming language inventor vs. serial killer test was especially amusing since I write software for a living. :laugh:

The photo was taken indoors with existing window light and an artificial tree, but I did try to make it appear to be outdoors just to be more interesting and add to the mystery somewhat. The camera was a little below eye level, but I positioned myself to appear as if it were taken from above.

The scenario in my mind at the instant the photo was taken is that I am in the wilderness when a large predator suddenly appears on the trail ahead of me. I am confident rather than scared, but am engaging Ti to decide the best course of action. There is an adrenaline rush, which I was actually able to sense slightly by putting my mind into the scene. I suspect that the slight adrenaline rush activated the fight or flight response in various brain regions, and this resulted in somewhat of a "fight" expression due to engaging Ti and deciding to face the predator rather than escape. Doing this had the desired effect of creating an intense Ti expression, but also one which was complicated by a hint of aggressive annoyance.

Side note: About a week before I took this photo, I had a real encounter like this on the trail... with a skunk. :laugh:

I was also very surprised that one person sent me a PM in which they were able to guess or intuit the expression being a reaction to a large predator. :shock:

Analysis of results
I expected more Ti primary or secondary people to perceive the expression as not angry because it's a state of mind familiar to them. That appears to be the case, although a larger percentage of Ti's than I expected indicated an angry expression. I also didn't expect the nearly equal ratio of both Fi and Fe being divided over whether the expression was an angry one.

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awesome explanation! wow...that person who sent you the PM....what type? Besides, ExSP? :alttongue:

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
The photo show a man who is not actually angry but wants us to believe he is. He is faking his anger. He probably never expressed authentic anger his whole life [conjecture]. He looks to be posing for the camera. My strong Fe senses that within this moment, it would be congruent to vote vote pissed off, rather than something else.

redacted

It's impossible to know what your face would look like if you weren't aware a picture was being taken, though, JAVO... so your results don't really mean anything.