• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life: to be taken ambitiously or laid-back?

which view of Life you belong to?

• ambitious, target/goal-oriented, need priority, try to be the BEST and number 1 success

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • tend to be laid-back, relaxed, easy-going, carefree attitude, 'just go with the flow'

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

ygolo

My termites win
Agreed. Next question: What if God's comedy routine was not unlike Steven Wright's?

Then God would get rid of everything to know what was His.

His school colors would be clear.

He would get wake up letters.

Maps would say "you are here" all over it. (He is omnipresent.)

Hmmm.... Are you sure God isn't Steven Wright?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Want to know how to make God laugh?

Make a plan.

George Costanza also believed in the "malevolent God". I guess this lends credence to Lenore's theory of him being a messed up INTP.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I can't vote because I disagree with the options. Being amitious does not mean being goal oriented. I personally think that being process oriented is a greater way to acheive ambitions and happiness, not to mention getting work done. Goals serve a purpose, but I find that goals do not work as motivation. Motivation, for me, comes from truely just wanting to do something and to love doing it for it's own sake.

So, I think its good to be ambitious, but to be ambitious by following your heart, and doing things for their own sake. The goal comes in when you need to decide what it is you want to do, but when you know your objective, it is no longer neccesary, and the process becomes much more important.

Goals make plans, process makes things happen.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Okay, this is from memory, but here goes:

It's just the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities!
Forget about your worries and your strife!
It's just the bare necessities -- that's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bear necessities of life!​
:headphne:

*checks lyrics* Not perfect, but pretty close. That's one of my top two favorite animated Disney movies. I had a stuffed Baloo when I was a kid, too.

I'm all about relaxing and playing. The only thing that motivates me to be anything like ambitious is that I want a nice place to play and a few nice things to play with and I want to make sure it doesn't come to an abrupt and unpleasant end. I want to be comfortable, I want my family to be comfortable and I want it to last a long time.

I agree. I've lived a life of ambition. I was sly and deceitful. My life was devoted to trying to look and seem even more wonderful than I already did. I had to be one of the best, if not the best, and I had to one-up everyone else. When I didn't, I felt empty. I thought my way of life was smarter and better than everyone else's. It would have seemed I had everything. But later, I realized... that in fact, I had nothing at all.

So I do what most satisfies me and makes me happy. I agree with Cafe that life is meant to be enjoyed, and the only time when work should come into play is when it provides money or sustenance for more enjoyment. I like to live the semi-retired life even at eighteen. :)

Working my butt off for what? Having zero fun for what purpose? Life is not life without fun and play. There's a time for work, but it should only further life's enjoyment, not take away from it. Whatever I do, I do with my own interests in mind.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
Um... I am goal oriented and prioritise in terms of what morally I should be doing with my time, but I don't care about being the best at anything in particular and failure is fine as long as I've kept my integrity and tried my best. :) I suppose to me, just trying to do the right thing is the underlying goal, so I can never truly be disappointed or fail however things turn out, making for a laid-back mood but relatively high-achieving behaviour.

Basically, I achieve because should and want to, not because I must in order not to despair.

snegledmaca

Neither. I'm laid-back, relaxed, easy-going but I have ambitions and am target/goal-oriented. And when I set up something for myself I do it to the core, as near to perfect as I can. I would not settle for less. But rarely do I set up goals for myself as I am mostly low energy and getting something near perception is energy consuming. So I stretch it over long periods of time. So in essence in the here and now I'm laid-back, relaxed, easy-going, with a carefree attitude, but in the long run I'm ambitious, target/goal-oriented, try to be the best and number 1 success, no nonsense kind of person.