User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

My money is on an answer that determines overall "extrovertedness" on all functions of a given type.

In short, from my limited learning and experience in this field of study, I'd say there should be SOME way to rank order all types on potential for E/I.

For instance, at the poles, we would have:

ESTP = Most Extroverted
    INFJ = Least Extroverted

So here we are:

INFJ<----------------------------------------->ESTP

What's in the middle, and in what order?

Why?

My bet is that overall, the order goes something like:

INFJ<INTJ<INFP<INFP<-----??????????-----ESFJ>ESTJ>ESFP>ESTP

Discuss and thoughts.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    This is what sealed ENFJ for me. I can't remember the resource though.

Extroversion and introversion fundamentally involves (1) where someone gets energy and (2) how that person processes information.

****EXTROVERTS****
    Extroverts get energy from being around people in unstructured settings. Often, simply being in the same room with other people energizes them. They are drained when being isolated or in an environment with incredibly structured interpersonal relationships. Often extroverts in these situations will find themselves picking at food, making random phone calls, or getting up and walking the halls in an attempt to re-energize themselves.

When it comes to processing information, it’s been said that if extroverts aren’t talking, they aren’t thinking. That isn’t too far from the truth. Extroverts are verbal processors—they talk about their ideas, tweak them as they talk, and then figure out what they’re thinking. This can be confusing for others because it can look like extroverts are forever changing their mind. Often an idea isn’t “real” until an extrovert has been able to brainstorm about it with other people. For them, interacting with people IS a worthy objective and a concrete task.

****INTROVERTS****
    Introverts, on the other hand, tend to get energy from being alone or working with people in very structured ways. This does NOT mean they are socially inept. It simply means interacting with people for extended periods of time, especially in unstructured settings, will usually drain them. They’ll often need to go to lunch alone or close their office door to re-energize.

When introverts process information, they do the processing internally. They’ll mull over an idea by themselves, polishing it, making it just right. THEN, they’ll be ready to share it with others. When they finally do verbalize their idea, it’s a finished product.

The words in bold are incredibly helpful to me.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    My money is on an answer that determines overall "extrovertedness" on all functions of a given type.

In short, from my limited learning and experience in this field of study, I'd say there should be SOME way to rank order all types on potential for E/I.

For instance, at the poles, we would have:

ESTP = Most Extroverted
    INFJ = Least Extroverted

So here we are:

INFJ<----------------------------------------->ESTP

What's in the middle, and in what order?

Why?

My bet is that overall, the order goes something like:

INFJ<INTJ<INFP<INFP<-----??????????-----ESFJ>ESTJ>ESFP>ESTP

Discuss and thoughts.

That's interesting. I might switch INFJ with INTJ, and ESFP with ESTP. Also I would definitely switch ESFJ with ESTJ, and put INTP as 3rd most introverted:

INTJ<INFJ<INTP<INFP<....<ESTJ<ESFJ<ESTP<ESFP

You get the idea. Of course this is in general, not in every case.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The words in bold are incredibly helpful to me.
    I agree. I'm not at all drained by isolation, the opposite is more true (being around people is more draining). Also, I have deep ideas which I normally don't put into words or talk about. Plus I have no constant desire to keep hanging around people, but I do like interacting with the outside environment, though not in heavy doses.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Extroversion and introversion fundamentally involves (1) where someone gets energy and (2) how that person processes information.

****EXTROVERTS****
    Extroverts get energy from being around people in unstructured settings. Often, simply being in the same room with other people energizes them. They are drained when being isolated or in an environment with incredibly structured interpersonal relationships. Often extroverts in these situations will find themselves picking at food, making random phone calls, or getting up and walking the halls in an attempt to re-energize themselves.

When it comes to processing information, it’s been said that if extroverts aren’t talking, they aren’t thinking. That isn’t too far from the truth. Extroverts are verbal processors—they talk about their ideas, tweak them as they talk, and then figure out what they’re thinking. This can be confusing for others because it can look like extroverts are forever changing their mind. Often an idea isn’t “real” until an extrovert has been able to brainstorm about it with other people. For them, interacting with people IS a worthy objective and a concrete task.

****INTROVERTS****
    Introverts, on the other hand, tend to get energy from being alone or working with people in very structured ways. This does NOT mean they are socially inept. It simply means interacting with people for extended periods of time, especially in unstructured settings, will usually drain them. They’ll often need to go to lunch alone or close their office door to re-energize.

When introverts process information, they do the processing internally. They’ll mull over an idea by themselves, polishing it, making it just right. THEN, they’ll be ready to share it with others. When they finally do verbalize their idea, it’s a finished product.

Hmm, I do a little bit of both. I definitely ponder to myself quite a bit, but I may get outside feedback to narrow down the endless options Ne presents.
    In that sense, I do talk my thoughts through, but it's not entirely external or internal because I also process things in my head.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Hmm, I do a little bit of both. I definitely ponder to myself quite a bit, but I may get outside feedback to narrow down the endless options Ne presents.
    In that sense, I do talk my thoughts through, but it's not entirely external or internal because I also process things in my head.
    If it's processing things in your head, wouldn't that be introverted (internal)?

MBTI
    I

This should definitely be useful: Extraversion and introversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quoted from the article:

The trait of extroversion-introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extroverts (also spelled extraverts[1]) tend to be gregarious, assertive, and interested in seeking out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, tend to be more reserved, less outgoing, but are also marked by a richer inner world. They are not necessarily loners but they tend to have smaller circles of friends and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts. Introverts are less likely to seek stimulation from others because their own thoughts and imagination are stimulating enough.

The terms introversion and extroversion were first popularized by Carl Jung.[2] Virtually all comprehensive models of personality include these concepts. Examples include Jung's Analytical psychology, Eysenck's three-factor model, Cattell's 16 personality factors, the Big Five personality traits, the four temperaments, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, and Socionics.

Extroversion and introversion are generally understood as a single continuum. Thus, to be high on one is necessarily to be low on the other. While extreme introverts and extroverts are a psychological reality,[3][4] most people fluctuate between the two poles throughout their lives.

It is asserted that Americans live in an "extroverted society"[5] that rewards extrovert behavior and rejects introversion. "American culture values extroverted qualities more, and people often feel like they've been given the 'short end of the stick' after receiving their results on extroversion/introversion tests."[6]
    Varieties

Extroversion

Extroversion is "the act, state, or habit of being predominantly concerned with and obtaining gratification from what is outside the self".[7] Extroverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastic, talkative, assertive, and gregarious. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. Politics, teaching, sales, managing, and brokering are fields that favor extroversion. An extroverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They tend to be energized when around other people, and they are more prone to boredom when they are by themselves.

Introversion

Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".[7] Introverts tend to be more reserved and less assertive in social situations. They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, drawing, and using computers. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, composer, and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they tend to enjoy interactions with close friends. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate.[8] Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement. The introvert tends to thoroughly think before verbalising their thoughts.[9]

Introversion is generally not the same as shyness. Introverts choose solitary over social activities by preference, whereas shy people avoid social encounters out of fear.

From reading these descriptions and other comparisons on this page, I am definitely a strong Introvert.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    If it's processing things in your head, wouldn't that be introverted (internal)?
    Yes, but I also talk things out to a degree also. My point is that it's not entirely clear cut. I maintain I am introverted though, and I think talking out ideas is not exclusive to extroverts. I suppose it is the degree to which you do it that may be a clue.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yes, but I also talk things out to a degree also. My point is that it's not entirely clear cut. I maintain I am introverted though, and I think talking out ideas is not exclusive to extroverts. I suppose it is the degree to which you do it that may be a clue.
    Ah I see what you mean.

****EXTROVERTS****

****INTROVERTS****

I'm extrovert here.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I always thought this was a clear distinction:

introverted tend to think before doing, whereas extroverts do before thinking. This isn't set in stone and the behaviour can change depending on the functions that are active, but it seems fairly clear to me.

[edit] if you're having trouble with your type, don't look at it in terms of the letter dichotomy; that's for newbies. Look at the behaviour of each function and consider which tend to line up with your behaviour.
    I'm extrovert here too. I'm not sure about the function thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I'm ambivert here. I'm not gregarious and all the other rah rah stuff in the article. I do talk about my ideas though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I always thought this was a clear distinction:

introverted tend to think before doing, whereas extroverts do before thinking. This isn't set in stone and the behaviour can change depending on the functions that are active, but it seems fairly clear to me.

[edit] if you're having trouble with your type, don't look at it in terms of the letter dichotomy; that's for newbies. Look at the behaviour of each function and consider which tend to line up with your behaviour.
    I look at the functions and some jackass told me off for looking at dichotomies when I only did that as a small part of it );
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris