• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do Ts get from Fs in a relationship?

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Should have quoted Synarch - my post was in reference to his.

Being grounded in reality by a T - particularly an ENTJ - was that things got remembered and accomplished in a much more routine fashion. My T brought a level of objectivity into my life that I have a hard time accomplishing on my own. Brainstorming became a planning activity instead of an exercise in futility (usually).

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
With my INFP ex:

- Confusion.
- Being labelled "Emotional dunce" (Hur, no really).
- A headache.
- Someone who, regardless of the above, catered for my emotional side.

Benefits from this relationship were mainly down to the Ne/Ne pun-filled conversations, rather than his Feeling side.

ISFJ ex:

- Being taught that you can go "one joke too far" with some.
- How not to behave at the dinner table.
- Allowing yourself to be accommodated for =/= losing your independence

ISFP (current):

...Er. *scratches head* Like with the INFP, benefits from this relationship weren't so much derived from the Feeling side, but the Perceiving; in this case, it's the "seize the moment" SP way of thinking. Sometimes I need to just stop overthinking and dive in.

From experience, I definitely feel more comfortable being in a relationship with SF types.

proximo

I like that Feelers have thought our reasons for giving a fuck.

I've thought of lots of reasons for giving a fuck, but I got to them through mostly logic :)

Can't remember who said "love is logical", but I see what they mean, totally. Then there's this.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hmm

I disagree

Which ISTPs are you meeting?

ISTPs are very perceptive. I think there is a mix of I and E types when it comes to best at understanding surroundings. In terms of connectedness, E should always be ahead of I because they give more emphasis to the objective reality and are more reliant on it.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sometimes I need to just stop overthinking and dive in.

From experience, I definitely feel more comfortable being in a relationship with SF types.

I only wish more people thought like this .. Carpe diem .. It is OK evaluating the risks involved, but unless you dive in, it is only speculation.

Awww .. We SF's do have our advantages then :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
with the ISFJ:
  • Family and traditional pastime/ritual can be life-affirming things.
  • Loyalty and devotion are as strong virtues as intelligence and honesty.
  • Sometimes planning ahead is necessary, checklists are my friend.
  • I got a strong sense of how my behavior comes across to non-intuitives.
  • Sometimes perseverance can surmount insurmountable obstacles.
  • Love can be expressed in very concrete and definable ways, not just as a fuzzy abstraction.

with an INFP I was seeing for a bit:
  • I'm worth loving; I am not a bad person.
  • Relationships do not have to be a chore all the time.
  • It's okay and fun to explore, and not everything has to make sense.
  • There are people in the world I can trust.

One thing I know about myself is that I can 'play F' in broad social contexts for awhile but in my intimate relationships I can't carry that load. I desire to go deeply and be close, but if I'm involved with a T person with a more extreme T, I fear getting stuck having to carry the F-end of the relationship and I can't do it adequately -> me unhappy.

Naturally F people give me something to respond to and take a lot of the pressure off. The only problem is that I have proven inadequate to meet *their* F expectations, ironically, and can seem too detached/indifferent for them, nor can I engage easily on a purely emotive level... I still intellectualize everything somewhat.

I don't know. But F people definitely provide affirmation and warmth and some "tethering to the relationship" that I tend not to experience with T's.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I only wish more people thought like this .. Carpe diem .. It is OK evaluating the risks involved, but unless you dive in, it is only speculation.

That's not how Man got to the moon, though. And as for balance, Saslou, I'm one of those crazy people that prefer aiming for being balanced outside of a relationship and not being dependent on others. It would be a sad story if people needed relationships to live their lives imo.

And where is BlackCat? He needs to clarify what I'm so "obviously" missing here. What could a T provide me, that I being an F, don't have?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
That's not how Man got to the moon, though. And as for balance, Saslou, I'm one of those crazy people that prefer aiming for being balanced outside of a relationship and not being dependent on others. It would be a sad story if people needed relationships to live their lives imo.

And where is BlackCat? He needs to clarify what I'm so "obviously" missing here. What could a T provide me, that I being an F, don't have?

Gotta ya .. But ideas have to come off the drawing board at some point.

How does the not being dependent on others work for you?

I only ask as i used to be like that, wouldn't burden anyone. I now realise i need people around me so i can get different perspectives and when i actually need help (rarely), i know those people will come forward and offer it.
Some people don't need relationships .. but have you ever had a moment where you are lying in bed alone and it would be really nice if someone was there with you so you could just cuddle or even chat shit until the early hours of the morning.
Don't even the most independent people want something similar even if it is once in a blue moon.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I'm inside out with this; I seek similar types for platonic relationships (a trio consisting of two INTPs and an ENTP. We call ourselves "the three muskequeers") but I like the balance in romantic relationships. It has less to do with being codependent in a relationship, but finding someone who sees the world from a different angle, that I find refreshing. I don't like being too similar with my partner, in terms of mindset. I don't like the taste of my own medicine. >>

ETA: I think it depends on where the "balance" is. I would find it hard to invest in a romantic relationship with an extravert, hence why all of my relationships have been with introverts. The T/F balance has it's positives, though. Especially NT/SF and NF/ST.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
ISTPs are very perceptive. I think there is a mix of I and E types when it comes to best at understanding surroundings. In terms of connectedness, E should always be ahead of I because they give more emphasis to the objective reality and are more reliant on it.

You're forgetting, all that extra interaction with the environment still feeds only into the same technically fixed arrangement of preferences among the eight functions. You can run around for a million years and still not prefer looking under the rocks I've played with long ago.

(And I christen this philosophical position "Triumphal I-izm". Otherwise referred to by its longer title: If You Have to Leave the House for It, It Probably Wasn't Worth It Anyway.)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Gotta ya .. But ideas have to come off the drawing board at some point.

Agreed. And that's what makes personal balance so important imo. It's not always about evaluating the risks. It's also about evaluating the gains. 2 is not always better than 1. That's why people don't date every person they have a crush on.

How does the not being dependent on others work for you?

The important thing here, and something a lot of people seem to forget (from my experience), is that not being in a relationship doesn't mean you can't depend on others AND being in a relationships doesn't mean you'll depend on your partner all the time either.

I depend on people. My family for financial support and unconditional love, my friends for sharing and understanding etc etc Everyone depends on people to a certain extent.

My identity though, who I am regardless of context, is something I try to assert and polish all the time. Not relying on others to tell me what to do, what to feel or what to think. The short answer to your question is : very well.

I only ask as i used to be like that, wouldn't burden anyone. I now realise i need people around me so i can get different perspectives and when i actually need help (rarely), i know those people will come forward and offer it.
Some people don't need relationships .. but have you ever had a moment where you are lying in bed alone and it would be really nice if someone was there with you so you could just cuddle or even chat shit until the early hours of the morning.
Don't even the most independent people want something similar even if it is once in a blue moon.

Of course. But there are wants and there are needs. I thought a couple of times I wanted a relationship in the past, but I also realized I didn't need one. And to this day I think one should never approach a relationship from a place of need. It should be about evolving together, not about having someone filling in your gaps. That's my personal view, of course.

ALSO...there is a lot platonic friends can offer. You don't need to have physical intimacy with someone, to get something out of it.

Grungemouse said:
I'm inside out with this; I seek similar types for platonic relationships (a trio consisting of two INTPs and an ENTP. We call ourselves "the three muskequeers") but I like the balance in romantic relationships. It has less to do with being codependent in a relationship, but finding someone who sees the world from a different angle, that I find refreshing. I don't like being too similar with my partner, in terms of mindset. I don't like the taste of my own medicine. >>

ETA: I think it depends on where the "balance" is. I would find it hard to invest in a romantic relationship with an extravert, hence why all of my relationships have been with introverts. The T/F balance has it's positives, though. Especially NT/SF and NF/ST.

Other than good communication and sharing of basic priorities, I have nothing to say about romantic relationships and type. I will say that personally, NF/ST or NT/SF seems very counter-intuitive...but that's precisely due to the two things I've mentioned.

But yeah, that's what I'm saying. Being too similar might not be a recipe for success. That has a lot to do with how balanced the two are and what they are looking for. An INTP who never befriended another NT might find himself in heaven if he finds an NT romantic partner.

Seeing the world from all the different angles...again not something I would rely on a partner for. And again, something platonic friends can provide. I will say there's not pattern to how I associate with people ...I don't even have that many N friends let alone NFP friends (zero actually). It goes back to my feeling of being independent I guess. I learn from everyone, platonic or not. I'm not used to getting outside validation in that three musketeers sense you've mentioned. So romantic relationships are no more about stepping outside my comfort zone than platonic friendships.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You really think Thinking is more realistic? I don't see it that way. For instance, I see a Ti-dom as more detached from reality than a Fe-dom, or a Se or Ne dom Feeler. Extroverts seem more aware of reality, because they are more concerned with the external than their own mind.

My wife an Fe dom has a hard time seeing beyond the trees that surround her to the forest. A Ti dom would be like an eagle that can detach from the situation and fly above it all and see things from an external perspective.

What you see is not always reality.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank goodness I'm not alone! I can't be friends with too many Fs at the same time.

I dont mind Fs in general, but I am not able to support with Fi. I am more like a rock, instead of someone that you can feed off of for excitement.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It becomes almost too generalized to keep the discussion at simply T's/F's, but I don't know that it would have made much sense to do it any other way, either, as then you'd need multiple threads. Fe dom will be highly different from Fe aux, Fi dom different from Fi aux, Fi dom different from Fe aux, etc etc. Same with Te/Ti dom/aux.....an INTJ or ENTP will potentially be just as incompetent/ungrounded as an INFJ, depending on how well developed (or undeveloped) the aux function is (just a few of many examples...funny aside, my xNTJ friend is grounded more by her ENFP husband than vice-versa!).

While a Ti/Te dom may have a better grasp on certain elements of 'Reality', they won't have the full picture, as the very nature of what they tend to focus on means they disregard a whole other aspect or set of variables.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like F types because they believe things mean something. I believe this, too, but I often don't feel it. It is healing for me to be around people who care about things other than whether something is interesting or right. T types seem to always want to make a point about something, whereas F types seem to just value relationships a bit more. I find they can bring out my latent caring for other people.

I agree with this completely.

F types give me a different perspective on things. They consider things I don't usually think about. And vice versa.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ISFJ keeps me from being too mean. I guess you could say he's my conscience. He has more compassion for people than I could ever be capable of; I don't have much sympathy for people who won't help themselves. I can be very, very cruel when I'm upset about someone or something, but he keeps me anchored by basically telling me what I'm doing. The fact that coming up on someone like a rampaging bull and mortally wounding them with words may not always be the best way to deal with something never really occurred to me before I met my boyfriend. :p He's also good at calming me down. He's a very soothing influence.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I feel bad for anyone who thinks they won't get anything substantial from a personality type different from their own. The stereotypes vomitting out of here are enough to make my head spin.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I feel bad for anyone who thinks they won't get anything substantial from a personality type different from their own. The stereotypes vomitting out of here are enough to make my head spin.

I love how appropriate your avatar is for this post.