• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensors who think they are Intuitives

B

brainheart

A lot of SPs test as Ns specifically, because we take the test questions literally. So if a test asks do you prefer to do things the old way or find a new way, we are always going to say a new way. But the SP view of what a "new way" is differs greatly from the N view of it. The SP way is more like a new twist on an old way. I can see that now that I'm in my 30's, but for most of my life, I would have told you that all my ideas/methods were original. So it's not surprising I would choose the "N" answer to many questions.

Couldn't agree more.

From the ISFP description on best fit:

Probably I’m the happiest when things are just a little different everyday. I don’t want to commit to any particular way to be. I want to be able to be a lot of ways.

Maybe that's why I've changed my type at least six times now? And up to the last few days I was confident I was an 'N'. A lot of it, as well, has to do with the fact that I am intelligent, was awarded academic scholarships to high school and college, I -gasp- love to read, etc. You get the impression from reading these forums and the type descriptions that the SP types are numbskulls who spend all day fooling around. Oh wait, I do that... but I'm not an idiot. But yes, I would rather go to a concert where I can experience the music, not to mention get drunk (although every time afterwards I reprimand myself to stick to the three drink rule... but then a new situation arrives and I want it! And why not? It's fun!) than sit around and think up theories.

Life is for living, not for analyzing, in my opinion. Although I can 'play' in that realm as well.

Nyx

I'm really quite annoyed at all the people who I tell about the MBTI types who keep thinking that they are Intuitives. They take the mbti personality test and pretty much answer on how they want to be.
I've got an ISFJ friend who thinks he's an INTJ saying "Yea, that's definitely me"
Then I got my ISFP friend who thinks he's an INFP.
It just makes me wonder how people who claim they are N are really an S.
Is being a sensor really so bad that people can't accept it as part of their personality?

EDIT:
This thread is about natural sensors who think they are intuitives not about my friends. To cancel out further misunderstandings.

I definitely know what you mean. Roughly, I think about 70% of the population are Sensors...and WAY too many people I know, statistically speaking, are claiming to be Intuitives. Those people also seem to be rather fond of S bashing. I suspect because Intuitves have the connotation of being more visionary/smarter/original etc... They are able to make connections and understand things on a large scale. Consequently I will venture to say the majority of great thinkers/visionaries were Intuitives. For me it is hard to tell whether some of the people I know are true Ns or not... Some aspects of their personalities would lead me to say they are definitely Ns...but when they can't keep up with my ideas/theories/correlations... I start thinking S...
It is interesting to note the inferiority complex some people have about their Myers Briggs type... usually with N and S and to a slightly lesser extent T and F. Accusing an N, or a N who is an S in denial, of being an S is very touchy.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, I've never heard a N claims to be an S. Do Intuitives peoples are so bad that they can't understand the wonder chance of being a Sensor?:rolli:

I started out on this forum as ISTP and half the members agreed but the other half which also included you said I was INTP so I might be an N who mistyped myself as an S.
evidence -
5w6 INTP.

taken from the linked thread below:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/head-centers/54894-5w6-istp-vs-5w4-intp.html

So you see if I really am an N I was one who claimed to be an S of course I should not judge you by this post as it is 3 years old but still you were proven wrong assuming I was an N mistyped as S!

btw the OP said I could be called an INTP on the below link:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25420&page=253

And Speed I don't see why you think of yourself as an S anyway. For all I know you could be another N mistyped as S though only you could answer that for yourself, just a possibility.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm really quite annoyed at all the people who I tell about the MBTI types who keep thinking that they are Intuitives. They take the mbti personality test and pretty much answer on how they want to be.
Dude, the most interesting part of this thread was finding out that you used to get annoyed.

But now you can even tolerate Riva! :happy2:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i haven't read the whole thing but the descriptions can be confusing.

i remember when i first joined and reading the difference between se and ne...it was sort of hard to distinguish.

and i only sort of understand se now...just enough to get that i'm not very good at it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dude, the most interesting part of this thread was finding out that you used to get annoyed.

But now you can even tolerate Riva! :happy2:
Oh, this is only a shallow bit of what I used to be Rasofy.

G

garbage

This thread sure is a neat lil' bit of nostalgia.
I'm just gonna increase my post count by posting in this thread

Here I go
Apparently, the two things that have been relatively consistent for me are my preference for intuition/openness and my sardonic attitude toward forum quibbles.

:popc1:

Mia.

I can't believe I read this whole thread.

I have, by the bye, an ISFP buddy who really much prefers the INFP type descriptions. So, in my humble opinion, he's an ISFP who prefers the INFP type descriptions. That he likes the type descriptions doesn't make him an INFP, but it does mean that something in there appeals to him. If he wanted to be accurate (and extroverted about being accurate), he could find a better way of describing what it is appeals and why.

Yeah, I think some of it is the fault of folk typology and poor descriptions/explanations in the literature, as well as how utterly abysmal the tests for MBTI are. My hubby’s ESFP cousin took the test for school and came out ENFJ and now goes around calling herself ENFJ. DUDE… arrrgh. I’ve tried explaining the function-attitudes and giving her a more complete and sound tour of the framework, logically leading to why that might not be the best fit, but each time about 30 sec into it her eyes glaze over. Whatev.

Then you have Ss that would never want to be “accused” of being an N, like my ESTJ, hehe. He would consider those fighting words.

Hah! Oh, you just can. What talent do you have that your friends don't, may I ask?

If one studies something intensely you get to where application is increasingly adept and precise. Like a doctor interpreting an EEG or other medical test. There is always room for error, but that’s the benefit that comes with intensely applying oneself to an art or subject.

Edit: In regards to preference, maybe Personality Type Theory is one way for Sensors to indulge their Intuitive side once in a while, and so when thinking about MBTI etc., they are thinking about their Intuitive side. They may think they are looking into the "deeper" parts of themselves, and that that must be their "true" selves because of it being deepest.

This is a distinct possibility.

I honestly think I'm a sensor. I don't lack intuitive ability whatsoever, and I don't lack sensory ability either. I'm borderline. I rely on my senses and concrete, tangible information more. Does this make me worse at intuiting? No. I don't RELY on my intuition, I use intuition as a valuable tool though.

Exactly. Just like Fs reason and Ts feel/emote/value. The preference is still there. But functions are subject to development.

And to address the subject of S bashing – it’s stupid. Thank goodness for Ss… if the world were nothing but Ns… the horror man….

I can tell the difference between a sensor and an intuitive.

Me too…. omgosh Oaky…. We think exactly alike…. I’m definitely an INTJ too.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have fooled you all! I am [MENTION=15248]mooseantlers[/MENTION]!

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I posted something like this yesterday on another thread. It is impossible for an N not to have a strong S also simply because the real world is staring them in the face all the time. Well defined S types who are truly S don't give a toss about N information and can shut them out of their minds much more easily than can an N shut out S information. If I really want to I can answer a MB questionnaire which will make me an S and be reasonably authentic. But I'm coming to the conclusion that questionnaires are only the tip of the iceberg in typology and are often badly worded and ambiguous (that alone should point you towards INTP for myself). A true S type would look at some of those questions and think "what a load of bollocks". So I'm not sure I agree that many supposed Ns are really S types in disguise. They are true Ns who appreciate the beauty of the natural (or even manmade) world

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SPs have a lot of intuition about concrete systems. Intuition as the ability to form conclusions without linear processes can be applied to abstract or concrete systems. Different sources of MBTI literature approache these descriptions differently, so some confusion is to be expected.

Capricorn Moon

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w5
I have difficult times to understand SJ's, but i like SP's and their altitude to life...
First time i did test, i got ISFP, and although it was only 1 % S, and on all other tests i got INFP (and in last time also INFJ), i liked to talk about myself like about SP type. I write, and some of my works include this kind of duality- for example, one of the characters is very shy quiet girl who works in antique shop, but she travel back to the past because she found old horosope book what helps her to recognize her past life, so she goes back to 1920's and start working there as burlesque dancer who breaks norms, enjoy life to the fullest, try everything, and live totally liberated, without asking so much abstract question and without trying to find hidden meaning in everything.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SPs have a lot of intuition about concrete systems. Intuition as the ability to form conclusions without linear processes can be applied to abstract or concrete systems. Different sources of MBTI literature approache these descriptions differently, so some confusion is to be expected.

It looks like you're saying that sensors can "intuit" (understand) concrete systems while intuitives can "intuit" (understand) both concrete and abstract systems. In this line of logic everyone will consider themselves intuitive.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks like you're saying that sensors can "intuit" (understand) concrete systems while intuitives can "intuit" (understand) both concrete and abstract systems. In this line of logic everyone will consider themselves intuitive.
Actually, I was suggesting that Sensors intuit concrete systems and iNtuitives intuit abstract systems. In order to make quick, nonlinear, gut-feeling, intuitive responses to a system, one must easily comprehend the entire system. INtuitives are not known for comprehending concrete systems especially well.

gromit

likes this
Actually, I was suggesting that Sensors intuit concrete systems and iNtuitives intuit abstract systems. In order to make quick, nonlinear, gut-feeling, intuitive responses to a system, one must easily comprehend the entire system. INtuitives are not known for comprehending concrete systems especially well.

What are some examples of concrete/abstract systems?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Because we live in a pretentious self indulgent culture where everyone thinks they are special.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've always wondered if maybe I'm a sensor, because i don't buy into the typical elitism of the Ns. I think both sensors and intuitives have their merits.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I couldn't consider myself an Intuitive. Really abstract stuff just irritates me, I can't be bothered with it :p

Monei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I actually wish sometimes I was an ISTP so that I could have a stronger Se and just enjoy the moment but still have my introverted and thinking preferences and the P would do nice to not think of everything and the impossible that happens!
I was raised by two Sensors and two Intuitives (INFJ/ISFP and ISTJ/INTJ) that were paired together likewise and I think that I was better for it. Intuition does not equal Intelligence.
They're the lucky ones--they can find partners...