User Tag List

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 262

Thread: Sensors who think they are Intuitives

  1. #61
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008


    Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    The second part, yes. That's what I was going for, in that section. The first part -- lack of interest in theory and huge importance placed in specific details -- is very telling, though.

    I'm, uh, afraid I'm not sure what your second response is responding to. I can't match it to anything I wrote.
    Its not lack of interest in theory, but what we ultimately trust more is what we see or what we saw.

  2. #62
    .~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    First of all, MBTI measures "preferences."
    There is no proof you are INTJ.
    There is no proof your friend is ISFJ.
    This has always been the problem with self-assessments.

    Furthermore, preferring sensing over intuition does not mean a person lacks inuitive ability.
    Preferring intuition does not mean a person lacks sensing ability.
    If it did, you'd be blind and deaf.
    Very true.

    It also comes down to the mistake of intuitive = creative.
    Anyone can be creative; you don't have to be iNtuitive.

    The SFP confusion with N is documented too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #63
    No moss growing on me Array Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    2 sx/so


    Oh, oh, can I be an ENFP now?!

  4. #64
    IRL is not real Array Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    5w6 sp/so


    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Why would they want to be an N? Unless you talked up how much better an N is to them before they took the test they would not have any reason to want that designation. My SJ and SP family members who took tests felt like the descriptions fit them very well. What reason, other than hearing "N is better" BEFORE taking the test, would make someone pretend to be N?

    I'm guessing you bear some responsibility for the situation, whatever types your friends are.
    That situation is possible, but I disagree. I think society, in some circles more than in others, values N traits. SPs like to be creative, that's a good example. Intellectuals like to be inventive, abstract, and deep. And in elementary school, the teachers/parents show kids how great it is to reach for their big dreams and change the world.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  5. #65
    Junior Member Array Cheat1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009


    Skill and Frequency of Use, along with preference has something to with it.
    Ti > Ne > Fi > Si > Te > Ni > Se > Fe

  6. #66
    videodrones; questions Array Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009


    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Its not lack of interest in theory, but what we ultimately trust more is what we see or what we saw.
    Well, I'm sure seeing a lack of interest in my broader point, in favor of details.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Array Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007


    personally i dont understand the positive insinuations about intuitive preference that circulate here...

    apparently, iNTuition is what we call things that we're aware of that others are not. lack of intuition is how economic, cultural, generation, etc. related differences are explained.

    so as far as i can tell, an intuitive is someone who is more inclined to make self affirming conclusions than to understand someone else... not a desirable trait in my opinion.

    more seriously, intuition is an ability that everybody has to some degree... it is a mechanism to come to conclusions without complete information by filling in the blanks. some people prefer to do this more often than others. neither is necessarily better... the "correct" method is the one that allows accurate conclusion in the most efficient manner possible, which most often depends on what you already know. as far as intuition goes, the most important factor is not a preference for this ability, but how quickly someone can learn and adapt their thinking, which would not favor a "wide area" or sensory detail manner of gathering information. it only seems that gathering information as a whole rather than a collection of many smaller pieces is more efficient because the consequences of oversight are not nearly as easy to spot.

    the inherent advantage for one over the other only comes in strategic vs tactical application, and neither is intrinsically "more intelligent", if intelligence is measured in terms of effectiveness, because that is conditional upon the desired outcome.

  8. #68
    Controlled Mischief Array StephMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    9w8 sp/sx


    I know a lot of S's that thought they were Ns at first. It's not that they are lying to themselves, it's just that they don't understand what the S/N preference is asking. Think about it... if you described the difference between S and N, most people might want to think they are an N. But remind them what it's asking: "How do you take in information?" That, in and of itself, is kind of hard to wrap your mind around if you're unfamiliar with type preferences. Sensors might be unaware that when they brush their hands along bushes or watch your facial expressions and respond to them that they are taking in sensory information.

    And just like Jaguar said, just because you're a sensor, doesn't mean you're not intuitive. Me and my ex (INTP) took the test together our first time. We both ended up as ISTPs. Then my sister thought I was an INTP. It was all confusing at first, but when I read that ISTPs are frequently mistaken as either INTPs or INTJs, and that they sometimes can relate more with NTs than SPs... it all made sense. My INTP ex likes to focus on his laid-backness and practicality, but that was something he learned from his parents (who were very strict, practical people...maybe SJs.), so he came out more S than he is N. But naturally, he's an N, with a high Si. I was an ISTP, with a high Ni. A lot of factors can influence how much you use a function, and some Ss may use their N primary function more than others. Especially IPs and EJs because their two perception functions (N and S) are their two middle primary functions. That's all the more reason why as an ISTP (Ti Se Ni Fe) and INTP (Ti Ne Si Fe) can mistake themselves as one another.

    I realize you said that this is not really about your friends, but sensors who think they are intuitives... but if you find yourself really annoyed by it, just explain to them in a very matter-of-fact way what a sensor is and even let them know that just because they are a S, doesn't mean they lack all intuitive ability. As I said, my Ni is pretty high for an S, but that doesn't make me an N. It's a good rule of thumb to know what you/they are more sure of... are they more sure of what their judging preference (T/F) is over they're perceiving preference (S/N)? Then that's an indicator that their two perceiving functions are in the middle and can be confused at times, and are most likely an EJ or IP. I find it doubtful that an ISFJ (Si Fe Ti Ne) can relate to an INTJ profile at all (Ni Te Fi Se)....That's beyond disillusion. So I would try to retype him.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

  9. #69
    Senior Member Array SubjectA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009


    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Your first line seems to be biased against sensors... I'm not ultimately annoyed at my friends but at people in general who would rather dub themselves as an intuitive when they are clearly sensors. I don't control my friends personalities, I observe them.
    I'm interested in how you think my first line was biased against sensors, and what exactly you meant by it.

    Observation is tough when trying to type someone. My friends think I'm an ISFJ, but I'm not. I'm just really nice and loyal to them. There is tons of room for human error. So for all you know they really could be intuitives.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Array King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    6w7 sp/sx


    Yea and then remind them to switch to geico because its so easy even an S can do it.

Similar Threads

  1. How is it that some people are Sensors and others Intuitives?
    By trickyleg in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
  2. What if most of the Sensors here are really iNtuitives in disguise?
    By LunaLuminosity in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
  3. [MBTItm] The Proper Care and Feeding of Sensors: A Manual by Sensors for Intuitives
    By Esoteric Wench in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
  4. What would the world be without Sensors/Intuitives?
    By VanillaCat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 06:00 PM
  5. How Intuitives (especially IN's) and Sensors look to each other.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts