First 4567816 Last

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

A lot of SPs test as Ns specifically, because we take the test questions literally. So if a test asks do you prefer to do things the old way or find a new way, we are always going to say a new way. But the SP view of what a "new way" is differs greatly from the N view of it. The SP way is more like a new twist on an old way. I can see that now that I'm in my 30's, but for most of my life, I would have told you that all my ideas/methods were original. So it's not surprising I would choose the "N" answer to many questions.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Though the outright annoyance bemuses me, I've also been perplexed by this tendency. There's one fellow I know who insists he's an INTP, and keeps throwing the term around, when... he's clearly not. I just mentally clear my throat and ignore him when he does that.

He's definitely a sensor; he goes on and on about the fidelity of his video and sound setups (high-def and Blu-Ray are a big, big deal with this guy), and grouses about the end quality of restored media while paying no interest to the actual process and logistics of the restoration and the hurdles overcome -- which for me is always the most fascinating thing. When I talk to him, he seems to pick up on only the most superficial of details about what I'm saying. I feel like I have to bend over backwards to make a point.

He's also bizarrely outgoing; he often reminds me of a used car salesman. Once he badgered me about my not having a cell phone. I told him I rarely even used my land line. I told him I didn't really have anyone I felt so compelled to talk to that it couldn't wait. So I guess he started to feel sorry for me, because he began to call me frequently, at length, about nothing, and scream down the phone at me.

Then later he kept badgering me about staying with me and having me show him around when he was in town, whereas I live in a tiny studio apartment, and he, uh... I know I'd get no peace with him here. And he'd be here for a week. Plus I wouldn't know where to begin showing him around.

I'm not sure what he is, exactly; he doesn't seem to fall clearly into a type. INTP, though, he ain't.
    This sound more like overbearing E than S. He may very well be an S, but I wouldn't feel comfortable making that call based on this info.

One of the cafe regulars, again clearly a sensor (you should see the guy's apartment; how ornate it is), perhaps an ISTJ, had heard of the MBTI. And when I explained my type, he said, yes, that was him too. Mm-hmm, I thought. Moving right along. Generally an astute guy, though any kind of conversation with him slams against that S/N communication divide.

In my experience, it's always a "me too" thing. I think there's a huge horoscope effect going on here, along with a need for belonging and identification. You know how horoscopes are written so generally that anyone can find applicable details, then mentally skew a description so it feels like it was specifically tailored to that person. This isn't a critical process, and it doesn't come from a place of acute self-awareness; rather it comes from a desire to see one's self reflected. Combine that with a sense of peer pressure -- well, my friend says this describes him, and if he's my friend we can't be that different -- and I guess it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

The thing is, the MBTI does describe a certain spectrum. All of us display all of the behaviors of every type at some point in our lives, under certain circumstances. It's just that with each of us, some of the colors are bolder than others. So (to resort to stereotype about sensors, but applied to these particular case studies) if you're not as comfortable with introspecting and filtering that information and abstracting some broad tendencies about yourself, and you're not very interested in the theory for its own sake, I can see it being harder to sort through the noise and figure out what actually applies to you.

Short version: I think the people described here are looking at the system for something other than abstract understanding. It seems to be mostly social validation.
    That's very possible, but not all Ns act alike. Neither do Ss. I straddle the two, so there are people who are certain that I am one or the other. Depending on the situation, different tendencies will come out.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

yea or do you prefer specifics or generalities...
    Well i'm not some kind of a nitpicky perfectionist so....

I would suggest printing off the descriptions on best fit. Some of the descriptions on the net and in books are not very good. Who wants to hear...

INTJ Talents: strategy Career: CEO of Ice cream company.
    ISFP Talents: Refined taste Career: Food Taster at Ice cream company.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SubjectA View Post
    So why does this bother you? It sounds to me like they would just really like to improve something about themselves, only they have a strange way of saying it. I'd say you need a hobby if you get that upset over something as flawed as MBTI. Sorry but you don't have the monopoly on your friends' personalities. They do. At work someone would easily mistake me for being an ISTJ, for example. It goes to show you that people are hard to type, especially if you only see them in certain environments.

Besides do you not think that intuitives are guilty of the same thing? The situation you're describing is a pretty human thing to do all around. And I'm not just talking about MBTI either here.

But is it so bad to make yourself more well-rounded?
    Your first line seems to be biased against sensors... I'm not ultimately annoyed at my friends but at people in general who would rather dub themselves as an intuitive when they are clearly sensors. I don't control my friends personalities, I observe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Why would they want to be an N? Unless you talked up how much better an N is to them before they took the test they would not have any reason to want that designation. My SJ and SP family members who took tests felt like the descriptions fit them very well. What reason, other than hearing "N is better" BEFORE taking the test, would make someone pretend to be N?

I'm guessing you bear some responsibility for the situation, whatever types your friends are.
    Why would they want to be N? Exactly the point I was trying to make at the beginning of the thread.
    Don't put all the responsibilities on me for the situation. I just say things as they are.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    A lot of SPs test as Ns specifically, because we take the test questions literally. So if a test asks do you prefer to do things the old way or find a new way, we are always going to say a new way. But the SP view of what a "new way" is differs greatly from the N view of it. The SP way is more like a new twist on an old way. I can see that now that I'm in my 30's, but for most of my life, I would have told you that all my ideas/methods were original. So it's not surprising I would choose the "N" answer to many questions.
    I agree that the test questions are often problematic for a few categories. How could the SP be the "Artisan" if they aren't especially creative? The concept of being original = N distorts the categories, I think. There is something compelling in the S-N poles, but also some problems. I have understood one important distinction is concrete-abstract which would not be related to creativity or new ideas so much as the nature of that creativity and new ideas. The Sensing/iNtuition poles are about perceiving. What is the nature of the data you collect? Is it tangible or intangible? Do you remember the facial expressions of the person or what the pattern their words implied? Are you more comfortable starting with a theory and applying it, or with constructing ideas and conclusions from what can be directly observed? That's how I understand the distinction. If many Sensors mis-identify as iNtuitives, then it suggests there is a problem in how the categories are defined and/or communicated.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Personally, when I took my first MBTI test and got ESFJ, I was very pleased with all the descriptions. Pretty much everything sounded positive. Pretty much all of the type descriptions were glowing. I was shocked when I started coming here and reading how some Ns described S's (ESFJ's in particular).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    yupp

if end up being a sensor, who cares? my personality will not change because of it, its not the end of the world honestly.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This sound more like overbearing E than S. He may very well be an S, but I wouldn't feel comfortable making that call based on this info.
    The second part, yes. That's what I was going for, in that section. The first part -- lack of interest in broader concepts and huge importance placed in specific details -- is very telling, though.

I'm, uh, afraid I'm not sure what your second response is responding to. I can't match it to anything I wrote.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    What is the nature of the data you collect? Is it tangible or intangible? Do you remember the facial expressions of the person or what the pattern their words implied? Are you more comfortable starting with a theory and applying it, or with constructing ideas and conclusions from what can be directly observed? That's how I understand the distinction. If many Sensors mis-identify as iNtuitives, then it suggests there is a problem in how the categories are defined and/or communicated.
    Yeah, actually I agree with Toonia, being here I wonder about the N thing. I actually don't identify with all the "shiny, awesome N-ness" I see parading around the forum but I identify with each of the questions you asked.