User Tag List

123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Default is personality type hereditary in any way?

my father passed away when i was young so i grew with pretty much only vague ideas about who he was. my mom had her own issues with him so she rarely talked about him and i rarely asked. had lunch with this guy that was his best friend and we talked about him for like 3 hours. he and i came to the realization that we are very very similiar. like everything from general personality, sense of humor, style of dress, business sense, relationships, recreational drug use, performance in school, intelligence, general attitude etc etc. his friend even pointed out that the mannerisms i used and the way i sat at a table were the same. its kinda creepy finding this out. my whole life i thought i was a totally original person.

what can explain this?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm no expert on MBTI or genetics, but I do understand the basics of both, and I also have typed my whole family with the same test. Get ready for some silly results:

DAD: ESTJ
    MOM: INFP
    ME: ESTP
    BROTHER: INTJ

My wife is INFJ. Her Dad is ESFP.
    See a pattern yet?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I'm a bit skeptical as to whether we are predisposed to certain types based on heredity, but, I have a thought in the back of my mind that it might be genetically determined in some way, possibly like gender--mostly set in stone right at birth.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

I agree with the E/I going back and forth. My mother is an E but I'm still figuring out the rest... ditto with my daughter. She often says "I hear my friends outside" like I should assume that she should be outside with them. Her famous fit is "I just don't want to be alone!" My SO and I are both very introverted so we tend to go home after a few hours of socializing and just lay around decompressing. My daughter will socialize until she falls asleep and wake up wondering where her friends are.

I think it is a function of genetics, but the actual relation is a lot more complex than some may think.

If I/E went back and forth, then there would be a 50:50 split between I's and E's.

Quick typing people and trying to extract patterns will only reveal (suspect) information about that particular group of people and nothing more. You will observe a pattern in the symptoms, that may or may not be correlated to the root condition. Children may develop I personalities as a method of coping with overly E tendencies of parents (subconsious rebellion?) and vice-versa.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't see how it can be directly inherited. More than likely it's a secondary characteristic of an organism, meaning that it's not a critical factor for survival.

'Personality' is a very high-level function of the most adaptible and plastic organ on earth: the human brain. That alone makes me suspicious of claims that it's set in stone.

MBTI
    ENFP

Well this is a nature vs nature argument, both my parents were SJs in fact many of my family are SJ or SP and the ones who are N are actually borderline crazy and don't seem to handle life very well maybe because the Ss have driven that way HAHAHAHA (j/k) so although it does not seem that mine is a case that argues nature I have wondered perhaps if being surrounded by people who are very organised and like to therefore organise me have added to the extremeness of my P
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by User99 View Post
    I Children may develop I personalities as a method of coping with overly E tendencies of parents (subconsious rebellion?) and vice-versa.

Hmmm. How did you come to this conclusion?
    If you don't mind me asking.

Edit - My 2 cents, i think it is nature and nurture. You are going to be whatever you are, but your parents personalities have to play some part as they are so involved in your younger years.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Hmm. That's a really intriguing thesis. I would be open to it. I don't think it is genetic, but being raised under certain personality types may effect your personality. You parents really shape your personality, so I think they have a hand in what type you end up in. But that's only a pin point.

I'm hesitant.

My mother died when I was 4. My father always talks about her because he was so much in love with her, and still is, even though it's been 13 years.
    Mom: INFP
    Sister: INFP
    Dad: ENFP
    Me:ENFP

It's a weird line up, but it hasn't really been a normal circumstance. My mother died 2 months after my sister was born. Even though she obviously didn't know my mom, she has EXACTLY the same personality, they're both INFPs.

Growing up with only my Dad, I have become so much like him. I didn't used to be, but I am now.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Here's my take on it in reductionsit terms.

People = Nature (Genetics of their Parents) + Nurture (Parental Rearing)

Children have 50% of their genes from each parent, thus disposing them to ANY hereditary components of type.

Children are being raised by their parents who are acting out on the EXPRESSED (nature+nurture) phenotype of their own genetics.

Thus, parent's actions reinforce the transmitted aspect's of their personalities in their children...

Does that make sense?