User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISFJ

Personally I don't believe it is hereditary. Nor do I believe in nature determining the bigger part of our personality.

My father : ISTJ
    My mother : ENFJ
    Brother : INFJ
    Sister : ESFJ
    Sister : ISFX

If I'd look back in time on my genealogical tree, I wouldn't be able to find an ENFP for at least 200 years or so (and I'm pretty sure I'm the only ENFP on either side of the family). Ns are very hard to find unless I'm looking in my generation. Ps are hard to find too.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Here's my take on it in reductionsit terms.

People = Nature (Genetics of their Parents) + Nurture (Parental Rearing)

Children have 50% of their genes from each parent, thus disposing them to ANY hereditary components of type.

Children are being raised by their parents who are acting out on the EXPRESSED (nature+nurture) phenotype of their own genetics.

Thus, parent's actions reinforce the transmitted aspect's of their personalities in their children...

Does that make sense?
    Could you clarify what you meant in the bolded part?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I've found something relating to it - Personality: determinants, dynamics ... - Google Books

It's sort of inconclusive though, at least according to this article.

According to it, there's also a relationship between introversion/extroversion and anxiety/impulsiveness respectively:

That's pretty good; as the APS manuals mentioned response to reward and punishment in connection with the five temperaments, but it was not consistent with the two factors of expressed and wanted (which correspond to extraversion and agreeableness, rather than neuroticism), and I couldn't figure exactly the pattern. Though I'm still seeing it doesn't match. (For instance, in Eysenck's system, Melancholic was introverted and neurotic, which in this table has a high fear of punishment and low motivation by reward, yet APS says The Melancholy is motivated by neither)
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

In my own experience the MBTI type isn't very hereditary. I mean I get 50%-50% genes from my mom-dad but I don't actually look like neither of them. I mean I don't really look like my mom or dad. The same with my personality. Personality wise I'm not very much like my mom nor very much like my dad. Some traits are similar than in my parents but not the whole.

The same with my own children. They are all unique the way they look and the way their personalities are compared to mine of my husbands personality.

But who knows. And the fact that they don't even necessarily know yet how where the personality lives in the brain. I mean can it be only the connections in your brain or is there something else there?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    In my own experience the MBTI type isn't very hereditary. I mean I get 50%-50% genes from my mom-dad but I don't actually look like neither of them. I mean I don't really look like my mom or dad. The same with my personality. Personality wise I'm not very much like my mom nor very much like my dad. Some traits are similar than in my parents but not the whole.

The same with my own children. They are all unique the way they look and the way their personalities are compared to mine of my husbands personality.

But who knows. And the fact that they don't even necessarily know yet how where the personality lives in the brain. I mean can it be only the connections in your brain or is there something else there?
    I don't have data to back this up but I think personality type is 100% heredity and inborn but that it comes from the multitude of combination of genes from both sides. In any given family, because of the large number of combinations possible, everybody is very different.

Real example illustrating my point - two parents have six children. Parents and children are all Sensors and Judgers (SJs). These six children all get married and have children. Their spouses all are S, with one exception - the one who marries the N. The grandchildren? All are S except for the offspring of the S&N, who have 2 Ns (ENFP, INFP) and 1 S (ISTJ). Two of the six children actually marry SPs. Their children are all S, but there are several Ps mixed in there. Too much for coincidence.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I don't have data to back this up but I think personality type is 100% heredity and inborn but that it comes from the multitude of combination of genes from both sides. In any given family, because of the large number of combinations possible, everybody is very different.

Real example illustrating my point - two parents have six children. Parents and children are all Sensors and Judgers (SJs). These six children all get married and have children. Their spouses all are S, with one exception - the one who marries the N. The grandchildren? All are S except for the offspring of the S&N, who have 2 Ns and 1S. Two of the six children actually marry SPs. Their children are all S, but there are several Ps mixed in there. Too much for coincidence.
    I suspect some interplay between environment and heredity. Some traits (like shyness) have been shown to have a genetic component, and it would make sense for that to increase the chances of being introverted, for example. However, if type was 100% genetic, I would have the same type as my identical twin brother. That's not the case, and I'd be surprised if all identical twins shared the same type.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I suspect some interplay between environment and heredity. Some traits (like shyness) have been shown to have a genetic component, and it would make sense for that to increase the chances of being introverted, for example. However, if type was 100% genetic, I would have the same type as my identical twin brother. That's not the case, and I'd be surprised if all identical twins shared the same type.
    What type is your brother?
    There are some twins on this MB who are not the same type, but I think the same temperament.

----

I think there is a great genetic predisposition for being a certain type and that personality is innate to degree (how much & how so, well, I can't say), and I think it solidifies rather early in life. By the teen years, I'd really question someone changing cognitive functions..... However, the cognitive functions have an awful lot of room for growth and change within themselves.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I've always wanted to find a bunch of people to do pedigree studies with regarding personality type. Of course it wouldn't really be legit, but it'd a fun little experiment to do. It would require subjects who are certain (within the possible realms of certainty regarding this topic, that is) of their MBTI type, are certain of their parents' types, and certain of their grandparents and/or aunt/uncle types. By looking at this, you could attempt to hypothesize over which functions are X-linked or autosomal, which are dominant/recessive/codominant, if there's any pleiotropy, etc.

The pedigree would have to be pretty expansive for it to ever mean anything (even something silly). Just knowing your type, your siblings' types, and your parents' types doesn't really get you anywhere. Again, it would be totally silly, but it might be fun. I think most of us would agree that personality has a lot more to do with upbringing and environment than it does with DNA. Though I'm tempted to say that if any functions were genetically linked, it would be the N/S ones.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    What type is your brother?
    There are some twins on this MB who are not the same type, but I think the same temperament.
    I sent him email recently asking, and he hasn't responded.

I did just grab my 1984 copy of Please Understand Me (all battered and taped up). The notes from the time (1985-ish, in my mom's handwriting... I added professions/careers below, in case that's interesting):

Dad: ESTJ (pediatrician, later hospital admin/executive)
    Mom: ENFP (she says INFP, now, although much more extraverted than me; did counseling)
    Oldest brother: ESFP (now an OB/GYN)
    Older brother: INTJ (I'd say INTP, psychiatrist)
    Twin brother: ENTP (not sure, which is why I sent him email; programmer)
    Me: INFP/J? (still true, definitely INFP, not INFJ; programmer)

Father: ISTJ
    Mother: ExFJ
    Brother: ESFP

I've been told that my body language resembles my father's body language quite a lot, but I'm not really convinced that corrolating heredity with personality type will yield much. I'm such a black sheep.
    Hello