User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    intp

It seems they want more attention rather than acceptance. They will provoke negative attention if they must as long as they are not ignored. Certainly, absorbing negative attention is worse than feeling the love, but the latter applies to all types; it doesn't seem extroverts' primary driver.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Bloody hell, the stupidity is astounding.
    uhuh...good job there buddy

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    uhuh...good job there buddy
    Your false bravado is less than commendable. Get over yourself, please. You prove nothing to anyone by attempting to wield sardonic wit for no purpose other than your own gratification. For the sake of not lowering myself to your level I shall ignore your subsequent responses. I have better things to do with my time...

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    Es have greater need for social acceptance?
    Es probably have greater need for (social) reward.
    INtj | 9w1

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

By focusing on the need for social acceptance, you've neglected to see the troubles maintaining it. I was writing a too obvious post, so I deleted it.

It was something along the line that the requirement of breathing air doesn't come that much as an impairment, if one is well equipped to breathe.

To make it a bit more sublime: maintaining acceptance requires some input. It offers something. Some believe it's a winning game and they participate in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Your false bravado is less than commendable. Get over yourself, please. You prove nothing to anyone by attempting to wield sardonic wit for no purpose other than your own gratification. For the sake of not lowering myself to your level I shall ignore your subsequent responses. I have better things to do with my time...
    you do that what you please. but if you want be the judge of my 'bravado', you should probably check false assumptions at the door...e.g. your direct claim of personal gratification and your perception of my motivations for yielding a sardonic wit. though i do thank you for making me realize i have a wit and that i have the know-how to wield it

and thank you for not 'lowering' yourself to my level, how very noble of you...rest assured, i will keep checking this thread every so often

nb: i was wondering if you would come to Jaguar's defense based on the rapport you guys established in this thread...very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It's funny that you think that of us, because I clearly think that of introverted types. Or at least shy types. I just throw my cards in the air and they fall where they fall. I don't think about it really. You accept me or you don't. But with shyer types, I feel they withdraw or are too afraid to show themselves because of the fear they will be judged and/or not accepted.

Maybe we're both wrong.

To the OP: do you ever go on vent? I am very curious to see if you talk like you write. I'm being serious.
    This is why I said we have a certain misunderstanding here. Which is because by being around people I am not necessarily talking about socializing.
    I am simply talking about being around people every now and then.

I really like that you have used the card analogy since it is a good one.
    Which is because it shows that your personal approach is "You like me or you don't like me" While I am not even showing my cards because I am doing my own thing. However most(like you) people think all of this is because of social anxiety, fear of rejection, deficit of self-confidance and similar stuff. But I can understand why someone would think that about me.

This is the main reason why my Te can be a little bit scary for other/some people. Since it clearly shows that they are reading me in a wrong way from the start. What can create insecurities from their side. So I have realized that I must be careful not to go too hard on them.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    By focusing on the need for social acceptance, you've neglected to see the troubles maintaining it. I was writing a too obvious post, so I deleted it.

It was something along the line that the requirement of breathing air doesn't come that much as an impairment, if one is well equipped to breathe.

To make it a bit more sublime: maintaining acceptance requires some input. It offers something. Some believe it's a winning game and they participate in it.
    i think for most, its how they instinctively think and do...which comes back to your breathing air allegory

someone mentioned the difference between social attention and social acceptance...how would that work with this theory?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    This is why I said we have a certain misunderstanding here. Which is because by being around people I am not necessarily talking about socializing.
    I am simply talking about being around people every now and then.

I really like that you have used the card analogy since it is a good one.
    Which is because it shows that your personal approach is "You like me or you don't like me" While I am not even showing my cards because I am doing my own thing. However most(like you) people think all of this is because of social anxiety, fear of rejection, deficit of self-confidance and similar stuff. But I can understand why someone would think that about me.

This is the main reason why my Te can be a little bit scary for other/some people. Since it clearly shows that they are reading me in a wrong way from the start. What can create insecurities from their side. So I have realized that I must be careful not to go too hard on them.
    Very wise decision. And for me, because I talk to someone does not mean I am bonding, connecting or looking for companionship. I could care less if a person is next to me or not. If there's one there, I'll talk. If not, then I won't. I can go for a really long period without social interaction. As a matter of fact, most times I would prefer none at all. I am at ease around others only because I am at ease with myself. I don't need to be around others.

I'm also trying to go easy on people who would assume that my confidence is arrogance and that my pleasant demeanor is a facade for wanting to be accepted and that my honest words are an attempt to bruise. Every day, I get a little better at it. I think.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

At the most basic level, very harsh, very rude, down-to-earth Te - Se - level, acceptance is being allowed to enter a building. Acceptance is being allowed to speak without being forcibly removed. Acceptance is what you enjoy when being invited to somewhere and having a good time/ good business opportunity/ whatever you were invited to come for. Acceptance is what you enjoy when you're walking in the street and no-one tries to mug you. This is very hard core, practical acceptance.

Then of course there's fancier acceptance, but I won't get into that now. Suffice to say, some kind of acceptance is useful.

Attention, it's a more elaborate form. It's not needed for most of the the basic stuff, but then, we're social animals, and our finer ideas partly work on forms of attention, too. Perhaps that our ideas are noted, or our distinct personalities are noted. Academic or personal, it's all attention.

I guess the air allegory can partly work for attention as well. Some use it as air, and inhale it as easily as air. I don't feel much like that, though. I enjoy friendship with some close friends, but I wouldn't call it "getting attention".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]