• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti/Te users: Explain the differences.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
In terms of mathematical equations to expalin the difference between Ti and Te

Te: 1+1=2 anyone who says its not 2 is an idiot
Ti: 1+1 can be 2. but it can be alot of other things as well. and somehow. use the answer to mutate into a lot more different answers.

deleted
In terms of mathematical equations to expalin the difference between Ti and Te

Te: 1+1=2 anyone who says its not 2 is an idiot
Ti: 1+1 can be 2. but it can be alot of other things as well. and somehow. use the answer to mutate into a lot more different answers.

Another good example, but to clarify, Ti needs circumstantial information of Ne or Se. 1+1 depends on the moment.

Introverted function tendency is through origin, so one with Ti will not likely care that 1+1=2 because it doesn't imply anything deep to the origin of logic. It's a truth, yet a solution. Ti will study 1 and what it is to layer it and why of existence, and if Ne aids, 1 will be imagined as blocks and made into towers and to what 1 could be will better clarify what 1 is and what 1+1 is. This is the metaphor. Depth.

An introverted function is dependent upon the extroverted function, where the extroverted function is dependent upon the outside. Extraverted P, dependent on circumstance, extraverted J, dependent on rules. This is the traditional display.

If you say IXTJs have been scoring high Ti, then shouldn't by this make them less inclined to use it if they have primary Te?

1+1=hmm should I assume 2 is right or assume 2 isn't certain enough...

Their "analyzing further" tendencies are exceptional in "a lot" of areas? Not if they are TJs. Rationals seek closure because they are "agreeable to reason," or what Eric is saying, cooperative. It can be one or the other but by rule it is Te.

I agree with you if you say this typing of high Ti is somewhat peculiar. It is not if Te is the prime judgment in the TJ order.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
^"Scoring" high Ti has nothing to do with Ti. Take a test, and pay attention to all the questions. You may notice that a. They're probably using the more modern definitions which are more like Te., and b. All the results can do is tell you "How good you think you are at Ti." vs. what it is, how often you use it, and how adept you really are. What those tests tell you has nothing to do with the originally conceived functions.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ti is systematic, creating over-arching theoretical constructs and describing complex systems. At it's worst it can descend into uncritical and dogmatic acceptance of unfalsifiable theories.

Te is analytical and critical, it relies more on raw logic then Ti and is more critical of broad theories and systems. At it's worst it can descend into cynicism and nihilism.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ti is systematic, creating over-arching theoretical constructs and describing complex systems. At it's worst it can descend into uncritical and dogmatic acceptance of unfalsifiable theories.

Te is analytical and critical, it relies more on raw logic then Ti and is more critical of broad theories and systems. At it's worst it can descend into cynicism and nihilism.
Oddly enough I thought this was written by a TJ before I checked your type.

It's always worth noting who wrote what as well as what they wrote.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ti has an i and Te an e, in the abbreviation :D God damnit, sometimes you look like 1st year students :D

deleted
One useful definition of an introverted function is "consistent" and an extroverted function "situational." So Ti aims towards consistency and is able to see inconsistencies, of logic. Te is better at taking individual situations as they come. Ti (along with any I function) is strict, Te (or any E function) is flexible. For instance Ti wants logic to form around their useful system. One with Te wants to reach a goal, so their best talent is to be flexible with their thinking in order to reach that goal. The ends justify the means. I know it may not seem like an EXTJ is "flexible" from an analytical standpoint, but their thinking type is definitely more flexible than the IXTPs, trust me. Any tendency of perfection of the system comes from the introverted function, even for an extrovert. Other perfections come from both. The most negative aspect of Te is making mistakes, and the most negative of Ti is closed-mindedness. I hope this helps.

Jung:

The introverted thinking type creates interior worlds of ideas.

The extraverted thinking type has a plan to carry out.

Simple as that.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One useful definition of an introverted function is "consistent" and an extroverted function "situational."
That was a very clear explanation. I've never heard it put that way before, though.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One useful definition of an introverted function is "consistent" and an extroverted function "situational." So Ti aims towards consistency and is able to see inconsistencies, of logic. Te is better at taking individual situations as they come. Ti (along with any I function) is strict, Te (or any E function) is flexible. For instance Ti wants logic to form around their useful system. One with Te wants to reach a goal, so their best talent is to be flexible with their thinking in order to reach that goal. The ends justify the means. I know it may not seem like an EXTJ is "flexible" from an analytical standpoint, but their thinking type is definitely more flexible than the IXTPs, trust me. Any tendency of perfection of the system comes from the introverted function, even for an extrovert. Other perfections come from both. The most negative aspect of Te is making mistakes, and the most negative of Ti is closed-mindedness. I hope this helps.

Jung:

The introverted thinking type creates interior worlds of ideas.

The extraverted thinking type has a plan to carry out.

Simple as that.
That's very interesting. Would explain why a "scheduling" J (like my father) would have the audacity to call a "probing" P (me) "inflexible". We don't fit into their plan.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti Vs Te

Hello NT's. I'm having trouble understanding how Ti looks different than Te. Can anyone give me some examples of how these two functions operate and how I might recognize them?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ti - "let me figure it out"
Te - "let's piece it together"

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hello NT's. I'm having trouble understanding how Ti looks different than Te. Can anyone give me some examples of how these two functions operate and how I might recognize them?

This can quickly become a very lengthy discussion. And I'm sure there are threads on the topic. But, I like to say that Ti is "turned inward". People don't really "see" my Ti very often. Not the way that you would see a Te user directing and organizing people and things all day.

It's what I'm doing "most of the time", but that's why I'm so quiet - because I'm thinking, analyzing, and organizing thoughts in my head. So, people don't really know that I'm doing it. I'm not very good at "getting people to do what I want them to do" like Te users sometimes are.

As an ISFJ, maybe you can relate with your Si. Your Si is a powerful tool for you, but it's mostly an internal thing. You know it's there and it helps you a great deal and you're extremely efficient when using it, but it's probably difficult for you to "turn it outward" and speak Si to people. Instead, you mainly speak Fe to them.

Occasionally I can speak Ti - if I'm pressured, angry, frustrated, in a pinch, etc. In those situations it just comes out in its raw form.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Another way of saying it is that Ti is very focused and intense thinking. It can't really be done that well when other people keep interrupting you all day. It requires focus.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
This can quickly become a very lengthy discussion. And I'm sure there are threads on the topic. But, I like to say that Ti is "turned inward". People don't really "see" my Ti very often. Not the way that you would see a Te user directing and organizing people and things all day.

I was going to say something similar.

If you want an example of Ti, pick up a text on pure logic.

If you want an example of Te, become a student of military history. (Or join the army, but that seems a wee bit extreme.)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was going to say something similar.

If you want an example of Ti, pick up a text on pure logic.

If you want an example of Te, become a student of military history. (Or join the army, but that seems a wee bit extreme.)

Yes. Spend a month in the military and you will know what Te is.

Ti is more the loner who is learning everything he can about a subject.

Using one example, Ti is the building architect who sits at his desk for a week and brainstorms, thinks about, maps out, and draws the blueprints for the building.

Te is the construction foreman who then takes those blueprints, along with his crew of 15 guys, and makes it all happen by giving orders, direction, and organization to the blueprints.

There is a lot of ability and talent in both functions but, for the most part, neither of them could do the other one's job very well.

G

Ginkgo

Ti solves a problem by sitting at home and logically inducing possible ideas until a system is formed or a conclusion is reached.

Te goes out and gathers information to form a system about how empirical reality works, and deduces a conclusion or forms a bigger picture about a system.

They can conflict because they don't always reflect each other.

If I were to ask Ti "Does a cat have a bum?", Ti asks itself what the definition of a cat is, and can infer whether a cat has a bum or not.

If I were to ask Te "Does a cat have a bum", Te goes out and finds an individual cat to test whether it has a bum, as not all cats have bums in reality.

Last edited:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ti has to make sense internally before it's accepted externally. Things aren't taken at face value until they match an internal logic scheme. Te is the opposite - internal thoughts aren't accepted unless they match an external logic scheme, like a procedure.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Ti has to make sense internally before it's accepted externally. Things aren't taken at face value until they match an internal logic scheme. Te is the opposite - internal thoughts aren't accepted unless they match an external logic scheme, like a procedure.

So a Ti user would deny that motion is possible in the face of Zeno's paradox, (or, at least, he would be sorely tempted to, despite what experience tells us), whereas a Te user would insist that there is something wrong with the paradox?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
So a Ti user would deny that motion is possible in the face of Zeno's paradox, (or, at least, he would be sorely tempted to, despite what experience tells us), whereas a Te user would insist that there is something wrong with the paradox?

Maybe. Or the Ti user might just call Zeno an idiot and dismiss the paradox forthright, if her internal logic scheme is different than that of Zeno's.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think an extroverted TJ would be more obvious than a introverted TP. A lot of people probably don't realize what I'm thinking or how much I analize stuff all the time.

Extroverts give more of themselves to people than introverts too.