User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Te- concise and to the point

Ti- highly descriptive and at times meandering from the point; thorough, though, very, very thorough
    That's not it.

The difference between Ti and Te, as abstract concepts (Note, if you haven't previously, that I don't think they should be applied to 16-type), is one of subject matter.

Ti extracts conclusions from within, subjectively, and Te judges based on empirical data. What you see, originating from anyone but yourself, is almost always Te, unless it's Ti disguised as something else.

MBTI
    ENxJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Ti analyzes, categorizes, distinguishes and forms logical models of things. You could think of it as the process-oriented thinking. Te explains, organizes, measures and controls. You could think of it as the product-oriented thinking.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Ti analyzes, categorizes, distinguishes and forms logical models of things. You could think of it as the process-oriented thinking. Te explains, organizes, measures and controls. You could think of it as the product-oriented thinking.
    I think that the relevant word is CONTROL.

Ti means control over yourself, your ideas and your creations, while Te means control over everybody else.

That's why Te is often associated with J-types, and Ti with P-types. Their uses are correlated with Judging functions.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    while Te means control over everybody else.
    I like your definitions.. but, to generalize, perhaps "control over one's external environment," which also translates into organizing and planning.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    Ti creates subjective conclusions. It doesn't analyze the object.

It's by happenstance that reality matches the creations of Ti upon testing. It's not the favorite function of the best analysts or logicians, because its creations are only coincidentally in sync with reality.

Excerpt from Psychological Types:

When the objective orientation receives a certain predominance, the thinking is extraverted. This circumstance changes nothing as regards the logic of thought -- it merely determines that difference between thinkers which James regards as a matter of temperament. The orientation towards the object, as already explained, makes no essential change in the thinking function; only its appearance is altered. Since it is governed by objective data, it has the appearance of being captivated by the object, as though without the external orientation it simply could not [p. 432] exist. Almost it seems as though it were a sequence of external facts, or as though it could reach its highest point only when chiming in with some generally valid idea. It seems constantly to be affected by objective data, drawing only those conclusions which substantially agree with these. Thus it gives one the impression of a certain lack of freedom, of occasional short-sightedness, in spite of every kind of adroitness within the objectively circumscribed area. What I am now describing is merely the impression this sort of thinking makes upon the observer, who must himself already have a different standpoint, or it would be quite impossible for him to observe the phenomenon of extraverted thinking. As a result of his different standpoint he merely sees its aspect, not its nature; whereas the man who himself possesses this type of thinking is able to seize its nature, while its aspect escapes him. judgment made upon appearance only cannot be fair to the essence of the thing-hence the result is depreciatory. But essentially this thinking is no less fruitful and creative than introverted thinking, only its powers are in the service of other ends. This difference is perceived most clearly when extraverted thinking is engaged upon material, which is specifically an object of the subjectively orientated thinking. This happens, for instance, when a subjective conviction is interpreted analytically from objective facts or is regarded as a product or derivative of objective ideas. But, for our 'scientifically' orientated consciousness, the difference between the two modes of thinking becomes still more obvious when the subjectively orientated thinking makes an attempt to bring objective data into connections not objectively given, i.e. to subordinate them to a subjective idea. Either senses the other as an encroachment, and hence a sort of shadow effect is produced, wherein either type reveals to the other its least favourable aspect, The subjectively orientated thinking then appears [p. 433] quite arbitrary, while the extraverted thinking seems to have an incommensurability that is altogether dull and banal. Thus the two standpoints are incessantly at war.

MBTI
    ENTP

Tes tend to make most people want to gouge their eyes out. Especially the ESTJs. AAAHHHHHH!

Oh wait, I'm an extraverted thinker...

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I have understod that Te is about organizing.
    Some people with strong Te use it to organize people, some to organize things, some to organize thoughts, some to organize projects

Ti is a very strong problems solving ability.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Te- concise and to the point

Ti- highly descriptive and at times meandering from the point; thorough, though, very, very thorough
    I am both of those.

deleted

Your guys' definitions are good, but not the best.

Te - exercising your knowledge

Ti - gaining an understanding

One you usually do more than the other. Well developed Ti actually makes for the best analyst. Te is occasionally like troubleshooting.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've posted a thread on this subject before, so here's my two cents:

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm trying to further my understanding of the differences between Ti and Te. I know that they are both logical functions that make decisions oriented on the impersonal/objective factor. I think my abstract definitions, previously posted here, are potentially useful.

Ti -- Modifies/understands an external system via internal rules/principles.
    Te -- Modifies/understands an external system via external rules/procedures.

What I'm interested in now, is how users of each function see their own use of it, and how they contrast themselves with a user of the oppositely directed version of the Thinking function. Depending on how many respond, we may also be able to explain/understand the differences between the dominant and auxiliary roles of each type of Thinking.

My theory about Thinking in general, whether it's introverted or extraverted, is that it tries to be primarily oriented to that which is outside the self-perception, the external system, or the objective factor, as much as possible. I think Ti is more focused on understanding/explaining the objective factor as completely/precisely as possible, and Te is more focused on applying the objective factor to situations as impersonally as possible.

So, please attempt to describe how your thinking function works for you.