User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I have to admit that I'm really confused about the difference as well. Everything Jennifer said in her post resonates strongly with me. I definitely have a little model of the universe I carry around in my mind and constantly update in an ongoing effort to make it as accurate a model as possible. I'm also forever on the lookout for "levers" I can pull to receive the maximum payback for minimum effort.
    I base these comments on my reading of Dynamics of Personality Type : Understanding and Applying Jung's Cognitive Processes (Understanding yourself and others series)

I think everyone has their own model of the universe made with an eye for leverage. But I think that is their Ti function. For a symbolic I_TJ, the Ti function would serve as either a source of discovery or a critical parent (so the theory goes). Their model of their universe would give them insights, and/ or admonish ill-concieved notions, goals or impressions.

While for a symbolic I_TP, Ti would serve a leading or dominating function. It would be in charge. Their leverage-aimed-model-of-the-universe determines their course of action, and sets goals (but healthy use requires it being informed by other functions, particularily the Auxiliary Se or Ne).

There are various other roles Ti could play (support/overprotection in E_TPs, Relief/Unsettling in I_FJs, aspirational/projective in E_FJs, backup/opposing in E_TJs, comedic/deceiving in E_FPs, Transformative/Devilish in I_FPs)

The same is true for all functions. Which way do you think you use Ti?

Something I find myself thinking frequently is, "All right, now that you've been able to step back and realize what this thing really is, let's try to step back one step further."

I rarely find myself applying the A to B to C logic that is supposed to be incidental to my type. I reserve that sort of thinking primarily for developing and updating my overall "game plan".
    How formal is your stepping back process? How similar is it to moving things in the real world?

Are you sure you are not an INTP?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How formal is your stepping back process? How similar is it to moving things in the real world?
    I'm not sure I understand the second question... My "stepping back process" feels like... I was born with the Photo of Reality at 1600% magnification and as I grow I'm slowly pulling back the magnification so I can see just what the hell it is I'm looking at.

Are you sure you are not an INTP?
    Nah, I'm about as J as they get. (With all of the pros and cons that come with it...)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

I'm not sure I understand the second question... My "stepping back process" feels like... I was born with the Photo of Reality at 1600% magnification and as I grow I'm slowly pulling back the magnification so I can see just what the hell it is I'm looking at.
    I kind of think of Te as the sorting of things in the real world. If your internal process of "thinking" is a virtual version of that I would call it Te as well, aided by Ni or Si for the representation. Certainly all the other processes are happening in peoples heads too.

I think of Ti as a search for universal principles and leverage points. Say you are watching sports and you see the way a basketball player almost always keeps the ball on the far side of the body from the defender when going for a lay-up or slam dunk. This is the external manifestation of Ti (through Se or Ne).

When trying to do math: the paper, mental, or computational manipulation of symbols is Te, while the analyzing (What proof strategy do I use? What can I substitute with approximations? What's the accuracy of this model?) is Ti.

When making decisions:Knowing and deciding what you want and the actually vocalizing or acting upon a decision is Te, while the analyzing the situation to find the "lever" you want to pull is Ti.

Those who have Ti or Te as the lead will have th other as back-up or opposition. Of course, these statements are from the perspective of a Ti with Te as back-up.

I was wondering if you spent more time analyzing or organizing (for lack of a better word).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I was wondering if you spent more time analyzing or organizing (for lack of a better word).
    That I consider the two largely one and the same probably speaks volumes...
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Ti is about extrapolating universal principles from factual sense data information while Te is about applying factual sense data to external goals.

For Fi and Fe just replace "factual sense data" with subjectively perceived sentiments.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    ENTJ

Ti: Concerned with the internal consistency of a system and the logical rules of its functionning. Works inside the MBTI framework and seeks to understand Ti/Te, by finding proper definitions for it. Tries to uncover the mechanisms behind these cognitive functions. Ti needs minimal facts and constructs knowledge through logical reasoning.

Te: Concerned with the external antecedents of a system, and the logical rules to predict its consequences. Questions the validity of the MBTI framework and existence of Ti/Te since there is no hard evidence for them. Te is concerned with facts and understanding the relationship between them. Te seeks to arrive at universal logical laws that will allow control and prediction of phenomena.

A radical Ti attitude in psychology would be philosophy of the mind and a radical Te attitude would be behaviorism. The current trend of cognitive-behavioral is basically a fusion of a Ti and Te way of understanding behavior.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Same is true for Ni and Ne.

Ni is the realm of pure imagination and Ne is the realm of applied ideas. Si treats facts and memories as an end in itself and Se is only concerned with facts and memories that are easily evoked by external stimuli.
    This is the first time I've understood exactly why there are certain things I remember so vividly and other things? Meh.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Default What's the difference between Ti and Te

what's the difference between Ti and Te?

dont give me a description of each one.. i want to know what Extroverted/Introverted Functions mean..

so- discuss..

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Why can't you figure it out.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Te- concise and to the point

Ti- highly descriptive and at times meandering from the point; thorough, though, very, very thorough
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles