Ti - "let me figure it out"
    Te - "let's piece it together"
    Likes thepumpkinpot liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Hello NT's. I'm having trouble understanding how Ti looks different than Te. Can anyone give me some examples of how these two functions operate and how I might recognize them?
    This can quickly become a very lengthy discussion. And I'm sure there are threads on the topic. But, I like to say that Ti is "turned inward". People don't really "see" my Ti very often. Not the way that you would see a Te user directing and organizing people and things all day.

It's what I'm doing "most of the time", but that's why I'm so quiet - because I'm thinking, analyzing, and organizing thoughts in my head. So, people don't really know that I'm doing it. I'm not very good at "getting people to do what I want them to do" like Te users sometimes are.

As an ISFJ, maybe you can relate with your Si. Your Si is a powerful tool for you, but it's mostly an internal thing. You know it's there and it helps you a great deal and you're extremely efficient when using it, but it's probably difficult for you to "turn it outward" and speak Si to people. Instead, you mainly speak Fe to them.

Occasionally I can speak Ti - if I'm pressured, angry, frustrated, in a pinch, etc. In those situations it just comes out in its raw form.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Another way of saying it is that Ti is very focused and intense thinking. It can't really be done that well when other people keep interrupting you all day. It requires focus.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    This can quickly become a very lengthy discussion. And I'm sure there are threads on the topic. But, I like to say that Ti is "turned inward". People don't really "see" my Ti very often. Not the way that you would see a Te user directing and organizing people and things all day.
    I was going to say something similar.

If you want an example of Ti, pick up a text on pure logic.

If you want an example of Te, become a student of military history. (Or join the army, but that seems a wee bit extreme.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I was going to say something similar.

If you want an example of Ti, pick up a text on pure logic.

If you want an example of Te, become a student of military history. (Or join the army, but that seems a wee bit extreme.)
    Yes. Spend a month in the military and you will know what Te is.

Ti is more the loner who is learning everything he can about a subject.

Using one example, Ti is the building architect who sits at his desk for a week and brainstorms, thinks about, maps out, and draws the blueprints for the building.

Te is the construction foreman who then takes those blueprints, along with his crew of 15 guys, and makes it all happen by giving orders, direction, and organization to the blueprints.

There is a lot of ability and talent in both functions but, for the most part, neither of them could do the other one's job very well.

Ginkgo

Ti solves a problem by sitting at home and logically inducing possible ideas until a system is formed or a conclusion is reached.

Te goes out and gathers information to form a system about how empirical reality works, and deduces a conclusion or forms a bigger picture about a system.

They can conflict because they don't always reflect each other.

If I were to ask Ti "Does a cat have a bum?", Ti asks itself what the definition of a cat is, and can infer whether a cat has a bum or not.

If I were to ask Te "Does a cat have a bum", Te goes out and finds an individual cat to test whether it has a bum, as not all cats have bums in reality.
    Last edited by Ginkgo; 05-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Ti has to make sense internally before it's accepted externally. Things aren't taken at face value until they match an internal logic scheme. Te is the opposite - internal thoughts aren't accepted unless they match an external logic scheme, like a procedure.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Ti has to make sense internally before it's accepted externally. Things aren't taken at face value until they match an internal logic scheme. Te is the opposite - internal thoughts aren't accepted unless they match an external logic scheme, like a procedure.
    So a Ti user would deny that motion is possible in the face of Zeno's paradox, (or, at least, he would be sorely tempted to, despite what experience tells us), whereas a Te user would insist that there is something wrong with the paradox?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    So a Ti user would deny that motion is possible in the face of Zeno's paradox, (or, at least, he would be sorely tempted to, despite what experience tells us), whereas a Te user would insist that there is something wrong with the paradox?
    Maybe. Or the Ti user might just call Zeno an idiot and dismiss the paradox forthright, if her internal logic scheme is different than that of Zeno's.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would think an extroverted TJ would be more obvious than a introverted TP. A lot of people probably don't realize what I'm thinking or how much I analize stuff all the time.

Extroverts give more of themselves to people than introverts too.