• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Relationships of Duality

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
ISFP could easily be a dual for me.

deleted
I've had sex with every type. So technically this theory works perfectly.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with Matthew; there isn't any way to take the Socionics concept of duality and apply it to MBTI. The main reason being that even in cases where the first two cognitive functions/information elements are in the same spot, the Socionics ordering and the MBTI ordering are quite different from that point on. This might not be too bad as far as trying to type oneself, but it completely throws the intertype relations like duality out of whack. The intertype relations completely rely on the order in which the "functions" appear.

What MBTI calls "cognitive functions" (like introverted feeling) Socionics calls "information elements" and they will show up differently according to where they appear in a person's function order. Also, they aren't all the same. Socionics introverted sensing and extraverted sensing bear very little resemblance to the MBTI versions.

To make things more confusing socionics wiki has an element name and an abstract definition. While Si element name is "Introverted sensing" the abstract definition is "external dynamics of fields". So is it internal or external?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFJ and ISTJ.......I could see that.

look.to.the.sky

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
To make things more confusing socionics wiki has an element name and an abstract definition. While Si element name is "Introverted sensing" the abstract definition is "external dynamics of fields". So is it internal or external?

It's introverted and therefore internal because the perception hinges on the persons subjective experience, and needs the subjective experience. But Si is the subjective reaction/adaptation to external fields... It's a whole thing to read up on :p It's confusing at first, because there's a lot thrown at you, but it makes you feel a lot more depth in the types.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im pretty certain me and an ISFx would kill each other.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I agree with Matthew; there isn't any way to take the Socionics concept of duality and apply it to MBTI.

I disagree with this general notion, not only as it applies to duality.

I will make my case in game-form. :huh:

I encourage you to try this if you have not looked into socioncs!
I'm going to put out sixteen unbroken, unaltered quotes. You try to guess which quote represents which MBTI type. The catch is that all quotes will come from Socionics.com.

1.Whatever XXXXs do, they try to extract a practical use from it. They are definitely not the type who will work powered only by enthusiasm. They may seem a little slow to start new work, but once they are in motion they will try to achieve the maximum possible return. They are very practical people.

XXXXs demand complete independence. They only allow people to get close up to a certain point, where they are still out of the range from outside influence. XXXXs value their friends and friendships very much. XXXXs actively seek excitement and thrive on the rush of adrenaline.

2.Generally XXXXs are very emotional and spontaneous during interactions. They know how to find that special way of dealing with almost anybody. XXXXs are quite comfortable to talk to and are talented interlocutors. They often help people to extricate themselves from difficult situations. Their advice is normally based on ethical grounds. ENFps are often optimistic and it is not uncommon for them to transfer this optimism to others.

XXXXs pay the least attention possible to details. This is often interpreted by others as superficiality. This peculiarity enables XXXXs to swallow lots of information without chewing it. After taking the cream from the surface of one sphere of interests XXXXs can become bored and start looking for different interests. They often change their interests. Wherever XXXXs go they have a characteristic ability to create a circle of friends and acquaintances and be at the centre of attention. They respect and preserve the opinions of the circle, taking an active part in defending and promoting them.

3.XXXXs notice people who do not obey ethical norms. When among friends XXXXs always give their ethical evaluations of other peoples actions. Their quick wit enables them to reply effectively to people with sharp tongues. ISFjs enjoy to play jokes on people by telling them something seemingly serious with a straight face. Staying alone with a person for a long time can make ISFjs feel uncomfortable so does the presence of strangers in their homes.

XXXXs like orderliness and cleanliness at home. They rarely tidy up but when they do they do a very thorough job. They are unlikely to go to sleep if they know that they have to finish some duties in their home. They can not simply rest without finding something to busy themselves with. XXXXs likely to judge the work by the quantity of energy spent and not the end result.

4.XXXXs usually have a distant, far away look in their eyes and it often seems as though they are paying little attention to what is going on. During conversation XXXXs like to play with objects, like a pen for example, often accidentally breaking it. They may gesticulate when passionately telling a story.

XXXXs are interested in and talk about everything that is new and unusual even if it is not in their main field of knowledge. It is as if they are magnetised by all brand new theories and are fascinated by all phenomena that can not be explained with logic or reason, for example: ESP, telekinesis and UFO's. They cannot logically explain their ideas as they are always intuitive and vague. Most people cannot fully comprehend their concepts, they simply believe or do not believe.

The main peculiarity of XXXXs behaviour is an incredible absent-mindedness. They usually leave items where they used them and have a tendency to constantly lose smaller objects. XXXXs work place and personal belongings are often kept in disarray. They invariably forget what they have already done and what they need to do. However, they are quick and shrewd in day to day matters, taking advantage of every opportunity that arises. Because of this others may consider them to be crafty or shifty.

5.When in confrontation, XXXXs quickly focus on their opponents weaknesses, usually destroying them with one perfectly placed phrase. If this opportunity does not manifest itself, they have the skills to provoke the reaction they desire. XXXXs are very slow to anger. And when they do become angered it is very difficult for them to calm down. They like games that require quick thinking and tactics and often win these games as they have great skill misleading and provoking their opponents into making bad moves.

XXXXs are very tactically minded and know how to adapt to changing situations very quickly. They know how to arrange people according to their abilities and usefulness. They prefer to adopt an informal and unofficial leadership. They also do not like doing their own dirty work. XXXXs are hard working and extremely persevering people. The more obstacles they meet the more obvious these qualities become. They do not react well to unchallenging situations. They truly come alive in the face of adversity. ESTps are inclined to give ultimatums.

6.As children XXXXs are very often obedient, docile, responsible and respectful. For this reason they are often used by adults as examples to other children. This will often lead them to take positions of responsibility while still at school. XXXXs adapt well to positions of power and are very dutiful. When in power they show good administrative and organisation skills. They demand the exact fulfilment of their orders and are uncompromising in these matters. They usually maintain strong discipline inside organisations. They like and respect authority and always obey subordination.

XXXXs like to collect reference material, encyclopaedias and dictionaries. They will never admit that they do not know something within the field of their activity. When they buy new appliances they always read the manual before using them even if the operations are obvious. At home they regimented in an almost military fashion. Every item has it's own specific place and they look after and take care of all their things. XXXXs can become very irritated and angry if somebody changes or interrupts this specific order or treats their possessions improperly.

7.When XXXXs speak publicly they habitually adopt a slow, monotone speech pattern. This may have a sleep inducing hypnotic effect on their audience. XXXXs are good at noticing contradictions in theories or opinions and can focus others attention to this. They are able to predict short term forthcoming events in both visual and associative forms. Through observation and their own experiences INTps can create a precise model of others behaviour allowing INTps to predict peoples next moves. They often amaze and interest people with this quality.

XXXXs are very sceptical to others who are undertaking new beginnings. They are able to pour cold water on others burning enthusiasm. They try to keep others from being passionate as they consider strong emotions to be harmful. XXXXs also look after their health and can be very captious in these matters. For example, they may wash their hands more often than others do. They pay a lot attention to hygiene and sanitation.

XXXXs usually work slowly, paying a lot of attention to detail. In their activities they show a strict logic, that can sometimes become very pedantic and scrupulous. XXXXs may check that all home appliances are off many times before leaving. (What? Ha ha!)

8. XXXXs have got very characteristic movements. When walking they often look like they are in a hurry. In fact, XXXXs always seem to be in a hurry. They are always going somewhere or visiting someone. They often seem to be overloaded with work that is not so urgent. They do not like to be criticised on this point and can sometimes take offence.

XXXXs are incredibly hospitable and are always trying to surprise their guests with something unusual. XXXXs work on the philosophy that guests should first be fed and then entertained. However they can sometimes be over the top with offers of food as they have difficulties judging when enough is enough.

XXXXs pay good attention to health matters and the general well being of themselves and their family. For example, after visiting a doctor they always want an accurate diagnosis in order to decide the method of cure for themselves. When someone helps XXXXs with home matters they appreciate it very much. The fact that someone helps them is more important than the actual result.

9.Although the first impression of XXXXs is that they are emotionless, when they become inspired during conversation an emotionality previously unseen begins to emerge. Their eyes start flashing with a fanatic light and their passion increases as the conversation progresses. However, they still try to maintain their self-control. XXXXs sustain conversations only if they find them interesting. They prefer to keep silent rather than give an opinion on a subject to which they are indifferent.

XXXXs always give others a chance to say what they need to say. They consider that everyone has got talents and they try at least not to interfere. They do not refuse any proposals immediately, preferring to examine them first. XXXXs are very reserved and usually do not take the initiative in talking about their interests and private life. This can lead others to think that they have no private life at all.

XXXXs usually have an interest that stays with them for a long time and are absolutely indifferent to what others say about it. They never endorse their position in life. XXXXs live in a world of their own conception. They simply ignore rules, concepts and directives that do not suit them. Most people do not understand XXXXs and try to keep away from them.

Ok, I have to leave now.

1.ISTp
2.ENFP
3.ISFJ
4.ENTp
5.ESTp
6.ISTj
7.INTp
8.ESFj
9.INTj

look.to.the.sky

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
First off, a difference that really matters between MBTI and Socionics is where the "qualities" are drawn from. In MBTI, you go from the dichotomies to define the type... So, for an ENFP, it's E+N+F+P=type, and you define this by stringing all those qualities together. When it comes to MBTI functions, they just further fit in, they don't completely define the type.

With Socionics, you actually are defined by the information elements in the functions (Or just the functions to use MBTI vocab) and their position and interaction with one another creates the type description. Dichotomies don't explain the types, but they do easily group them together to show commonalities.

Socionics.com isn't the best source for Socionics information. Try The Wikisocion instead. And lurk around on this forum: The 16 Types.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, for an ENFP, it's E+N+F+P=type, and you define this by stringing all those qualities together. When it comes to MBTI functions, they just further fit in, they don't completely define the type.

Functions define the type in MBTI, how do they not? You're thinking bare basic MBTI. The functions also explain how the types function as a person, and it makes sense.

I'm not dissing socionics, I love socionics. Just saying.

look.to.the.sky

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Functions define the type in MBTI, how do they not? You're thinking bare basic MBTI. The functions also explain how the types function as a person, and it makes sense.

I'm not dissing socionics, I love socionics. Just saying.

How do you test for MBTI? By the functions? When you came to learn MBTI, how did you learn all the types? You learned by the qualities of the dichotomies, and meshed them together. After that, you'll move to the functions and they add in for you. I remember you talking about how you felt your personality reflected because you were exactly in the middle of a certain dichotomy (was it S/N?), and that had nothing to do with MBTI's functions, it had to do with the dichotomy descriptions.

In order to learn Socionics at all, you HAVE to learn the functions, you can't go by the dichotomies like MBTI. Those who do will just end up with MBTI type descriptions... Which are not the same as Socionics ones.

It's possible that I'm just come from an old MBTI perspective. I looked through MBTI rigorously until a couple years ago, it might be more of a thing to look into the functions. But all the message boards and forums I went to barely ever mentioned MBTI functions, and based the types off of the dictomoies.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you test for MBTI? By the functions? When you came to learn MBTI, how did you learn all the types? You learned by the qualities of the dichotomies, and meshed them together. After that, you'll move to the functions and they add in for you. I remember you talking about how you felt your personality reflected because you were exactly in the middle of a certain dichotomy (was it S/N?), and that had nothing to do with MBTI's functions, it had to do with the dichotomy descriptions.

In order to learn Socionics at all, you HAVE to learn the functions, you can't go by the dichotomies like MBTI. Those who do will just end up with MBTI type descriptions... Which are not the same as Socionics ones.

I don't see how it's any different. In socionics you generally look at the basic dichotomy definitions to get an idea, then check out types. In MBTI you take a test to get a basic idea of the dichotomies, then check out types. They both have a function order that you follow that's accurate and unique to each type. As for my confusion, you could easily get confused like that in socionics, my S and N confusion was mainly due to the functions and how much I seemingly use the ISFP's yet I function like an intuitive would. I was looking at the issue from all angles, including that of the basic dichotomies. I don't understand how that wouldn't happen in socionics, in fact my confusion in socionics was cleared up by looking at the basic dichotomies.

But you're right about the fact that you don't HAVE to learn the functions in MBTI. But why do you have to in socionics? Couldn't you just read a description and not care about what the functions mean? I know plenty of people that have done that... in fact I know someone who thinks that the functions in socionics are totally irrelevant and still accurately typed himself.

It's possible that I'm just come from an old MBTI perspective. I looked through MBTI rigorously until a couple years ago, it might be more of a thing to look into the functions. But all the message boards and forums I went to barely ever mentioned MBTI functions, and based the types off of the dictomoies.

That will do it for you. On here there is heavy function talk. If you were posting on similarminds or on the keirsey forums then yeah, they probably won't get as deep as we do here.

Socionics and MBTI are very similar but aren't the same system (due to definitions and quirks in places). In both you can type yourself just from descriptions and not learn about functions, but you're missing out if you don't learn some function theory in my opinion.

I think that people try to separate the two so vigorously that they fail to see the common ground, while they are really similar in my opinion. People who are strictly into socionics seem to have a hidden agenda (lol) against MBTI, and most MBTI users think that socionics is too complicated or that it's bullshit because of socionics.com (I don't blame them for that, that website is utter garbage).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTP's are the exception. They exhibit all qualities typical to S's, yet they share a quality that gives them the impression of being something other than an S to me, namely that they can easily take in and analyze every thought I want to convey, no matter how abstract, provided they are not too long-winded. For this, I am so appreciative of the ISTP type - they really are the "other half" of a mind like mine, and they are so in a way that is utterly attractive. There really is something special about the ENFP/ISTP dynamic I have noticed. SP's really live (emphasis on live) an interesting way, and were it not for the ISTP's, their entire way of life would be lost on me.

Tell me what you think

First off, I somehow test as an ISTP as both MBTI and Socionics... I haven't actually spent the time figuring out why quite yet, but I relate very strongly to both profiles.

But yes, I think there is a very interesting dynamic between an ENFP and ISTP. ISTPs can sometimes relate more to the rational NT temperament than the Artisan SP temperament, so we appear to be this weird in between... Although if you're paying especially close attention, you'd know we were definitely an S. This might be why you can relate to them more on an N level, which almost appears to be a necessity for ENFPs... I used to be involved with an ENFP romantically (we're still friends), and it seemed very natural. I took all the little far-out there thoughts he had and processed it in a way I'm used to... I can handle weirdness. And he seemed to appreciate my ability to seriously consider his ideas and churn out new perspectives. Eventually he kind of adopted me as someone to confide in all his thoughts, insecurities, doubts, etc, and who would help guide him on a more practical path (while still taking everything he said seriously). So I guess that's what I was for him... or at least that's how he communicated it. For me, he was an inspiration. He helped branch out my interest and at least made me aware of my infinitesimally small Fi. I was motivated to become more well-rounded instead of ONLY specializing in a few things, which I preferred (but only as a security, not because I didn't want to branch out). We kept each other on an even keel. And we had -fun.- All sorts of adventures, which seems crucial for both our beings. Anyways, long story short, we're both young and want to focus on our own goals/dreams/etc. We both understood that the best thing we could be for each other is friends for now. Neither of us wanted to be involved, because we both felt we needed to be on our own for a while. I think this line about duality relations about summed us up:
Partners may find that they "discover themselves" through the dual relationship. By seeking out their true desires and natural tendencies and ignoring societal expectations, they actually enrich the relationship and gladden their partner. If a person has not enjoyed dual relations before, experiencing them for the first time will likely be a transformational experience.

A few months ago we decided to be just friends, as I mentioned. I made a comment like "Yeah, it's just best that we're not together right now... let's give ourselves a few years to grow on our own." His response was "I think we are together though... Just not in a traditional sense." I remember reading a quote about dualities somewhere that said exactly that, but the quote above was the best I could find.

Anyways, as for ENFPs non-romantically, my sister is an ENFP. Unfortunately, not the healthiest of ENFPs. We get along great when we just take things as they are and brush some stuff off, but sometimes we're reminded of long-held resentment. She takes a lot of the things I do offensively when it's never my intention to step on anyone's toes. And she lashes out in a way that really does hurt me. Her anger is something to fear! My mother and I both talk about how we're not always as real with her as we'd like, just because we're a little scared of the drama that could ensue. Anyways, when she's in her -good- stages, there's no one I would rather be with when I'm in my "Paint the town Red" mood.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First off, I somehow test as an ISTP as both MBTI and Socionics... I haven't actually spent the time figuring out why quite yet, but I relate very strongly to both profiles.

But yes, I think there is a very interesting dynamic between an ENFP and ISTP. ISTPs can sometimes relate more to the rational NT temperament than the Artisan SP temperament, so we appear to be this weird in between... Although if you're paying especially close attention, you'd know we were definitely an S. This might be why you can relate to them more on an N level, which almost appears to be a necessity for ENFPs... I used to be involved with an ENFP romantically (we're still friends), and it seemed very natural. I took all the little far-out there thoughts he had and processed it in a way I'm used to... I can handle weirdness. And he seemed to appreciate my ability to seriously consider his ideas and churn out new perspectives. Eventually he kind of adopted me as someone to confide in all his thoughts, insecurities, doubts, etc, and who would help guide him on a more practical path (while still taking everything he said seriously). So I guess that's what I was for him... or at least that's how he communicated it. For me, he was an inspiration. He helped branch out my interest and at least made me aware of my infinitesimally small Fi. I was motivated to become more well-rounded instead of ONLY specializing in a few things, which I preferred (but only as a security, not because I didn't want to branch out). We kept each other on an even keel. And we had -fun.- All sorts of adventures, which seems crucial for both our beings. Anyways, long story short, we're both young and want to focus on our own goals/dreams/etc. We both understood that the best thing we could be for each other is friends for now. Neither of us wanted to be involved, because we both felt we needed to be on our own for a while. I think this line about duality relations about summed us up:

A few months ago we decided to be just friends, as I mentioned. I made a comment like "Yeah, it's just best that we're not together right now... let's give ourselves a few years to grow on our own." His response was "I think we are together though... Just not in a traditional sense." I remember reading a quote about dualities somewhere that said exactly that, but the quote above was the best I could find.

Anyways, as for ENFPs non-romantically, my sister is an ENFP. Unfortunately, not the healthiest of ENFPs. We get along great when we just take things as they are and brush some stuff off, but sometimes we're reminded of long-held resentment. She takes a lot of the things I do offensively when it's never my intention to step on anyone's toes. And she lashes out in a way that really does hurt me. Her anger is something to fear! My mother and I both talk about how we're not always as real with her as we'd like, just because we're a little scared of the drama that could ensue. Anyways, when she's in her -good- stages, there's no one I would rather be with when I'm in my "Paint the town Red" mood.

This is how it was between me and another ENFP. I am married so we stayed away from the romantic stage and she never said anything about the distance I kept because of the marriage, but the interactions were just like you described.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I must be an ENFp (in fact I am in socionics) because I think ISTps are pretty cool.

If I were an INFp, ESTp would be would be my dual, and I would probably kill an ESTp.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
While the dichotomy is usually known as rational/irrational, it can also be known as judging/perceiving. (Jung himself described judging functions as "rational" and perceiving functions as "irrational.") Of course, it should be kept in mind that the socionics and MBTI "judging" and "perceiving" do not mean the same thing in both contexts. While they may coincide in certain situations, they are inherently NOT the same thing.

That being said, I do acknowledge that socionics and MBTI types shouldn't be equally transmuted. MBTI =/= socionics. Ergo, while they may have their similarities, MBTI concepts should not be directly applied to socionics per se. (and vice versa) However, the purpose of this thread is more of an experiment to test if the concept of duality can carry over to MBTI, if even in a rough form. The purpose of my post which you have quoted is to inform the readers of this thread of what their MBTI "dual" would be, provided it existed.

From what I understand in MBTI most types hate, or grossly misunderstand, their four-letter opposite.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
How do you test for MBTI? By the functions? When you came to learn MBTI, how did you learn all the types? You learned by the qualities of the dichotomies, and meshed them together. After that, you'll move to the functions and they add in for you.

Type is defined by the functions, not by the dichotomies.

From Isabel Briggs Myers, herself...

Myers said:
THE RESULTING SIXTEEN TYPES

When the auxiliary process is taken into consideration, it splits each of Jung's types into two. Instead of merely the introverted thinker, there are the introverted thinker with sensing and the introverted thinker with intuition. Thus there are sixteen types in place of Jung's eight.

Myers said:
Of the sixteen specific types that result from the various combinations of the preferences, each is the product of its domintant process, extraverted or introverted as the case may be, and modified by the nature of its auxiliary.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I understand in MBTI most types hate, or grossly misunderstand, their four-letter opposite.

Grossly misunderstand how they handle things. And when each type becomes stressed they become a immature version of the other person and arguments, discussions, decisions, etc just dont go to well especially when you are arguing with an immature version of yourself.

You really have to tuck your tail when an argument starts because the other person will tear you apart even when they are trying there hardest not to. It happens on both sides.

lilinicole

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i <3 my ISTP

I will start by saying that while I am captivated by several types for different reasons, my dual relationships with ISTPs (of which one has been romantic) have been the most simple and natural. I'm an extreme N, and almost all S's, respectable communicators in their own merit, are incapable of meeting me on my own level for any extended period of time. I am no better at curbing my own style. As a result of our inability to communicate with eachother effectively, S's and I do not speak with eachother, and virtually all of my friends are N's. Such a small amount of what I actually say is useful in itself that anyone unwilling to take in my statements through a 'conceptual grid' becomes so bored with my ruminations and abstractions so quickly that building a complex relationship with them would be all but impossible.

ISTP's are the exception. They exhibit all qualities typical to S's, yet they share a quality that gives them the impression of being something other than an S to me, namely that they can easily take in and analyze every thought I want to convey, no matter how abstract, provided they are not too long-winded. For this, I am so appreciative of the ISTP type - they really are the "other half" of a mind like mine, and they are so in a way that is utterly attractive. There really is something special about the ENFP/ISTP dynamic I have noticed. SP's really live (emphasis on live) an interesting way, and were it not for the ISTP's, their entire way of life would be lost on me.

I'm an ENFP and this is my experience exactly. I am currently with my ISTP dual and could not be happier. I accidentally go off about people with "S" preferences sometimes because I am 110% N and cannot understand them. Or rather, I do understand them but I'm just continually annoyed by their lack of perspective. Anyway, I have found myself saying things to my ISTP like, "You are like, the perfect S." :cheers:

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFP men scare me with their..ESFPing.

And they always turn out to be gay.