User Tag List

12 Last

Default Ne, mindmapping and memory recollection?

Occasionally I'll come across XNXP claiming that their memories are terrible, well alot of intuitives in fact. Yet I'd imagine that Ne users are the most natural at creating these memory links. So what's the deal?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Occasionally I'll come across XNXP claiming that their memories are terrible, well alot of intuitives in fact. Yet I'd imagine that Ne users are the most natural at creating these memory links. So what's the deal?
    I'm not an Ne user, and I have an excellent memory, better than many people I know. So take my guess with a grain of salt.

I think what they mean is that they can't just consciously call up a memory when prompted. But when they see something that evokes an idea, the relevant memory just comes back on it's own. I've found their memories work best when they're trying to come up with an analogy, and worst when they're asked a question about specifics.

MBTI
    abcd

I type myself as xNTP and also I have issues when I want remember lists of things somewhat unrelated.
    For example, this year I watched around 100 movies but if you ask me some title I can give you very few.
    And another example: one of my friend, a totally S, loves "movie quotes" and he could pass one hour tell me a lot of quotes. I don't.
    But if we are discussing something, immediately I come to mind a quote who is appropriate.
    But I am not sure how this could be explained in terms of functions.
    Bye.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm the same way, malcontent. The memory comes back when it needs to, but it's not always at the surface because I need room for all the other stuff I'm taking in. But when it's time to remember something, I can nail you to the wall and tell you what you were wearing when you said it. My short term memory is atrocious, I couldn't tell you what I ate this morning for breakfast. But if you ask me in 6 months, I got it on lock.

I could never understand movie quote people.

EDIT: my memory is recalled by similar things. I see x and it reminds me of y, so I connect the dots to z. But it needs prompting, I don't remember just for remembering's sake.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I tend to remember events with intense emotions. Other stuff is in there, but my chronology is so fucked up I won't be able to tell you whether it's a memory of years ago or quite recent, not to mention that they are also not sorted so my memories of my imagination are in tehre somewhere too. In short..it gets fuzzy up there without a strong emotion to recall

I need a filing system
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    entp

there is some truth in it, yes

Ne is not for creating memory links unless those memories are a result of Ne predicting what might happen and then that predicion coming true.

if anything, sometimes i can't remember which way certain things turned out simply because i was going over all the possibilities in my head and spent an equal amount of thought on the actual outcome and a possible outcome. this makes it harder for me to recall what the outcome was- the actual one that happened in real life or the one of the possibilities that happened in my head

thought this can be easily and conciously overcome by paying full attention to the situation

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes, whats stored in the long term buffer works great, even when it comes to details. Short term tho, its terrible. If I dont focus on things, I even later look at myself as a stranger when someone tells me what I should have supposingly done.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Oh Lord,

The good only Ne/XNXP memory..

It's about focus. I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.

NPs are really scatterbrained, and have trouble focusing on the here and now. We can be doing one thing, like reading a book, but be thinking about something else and forget what we were reading about. I lose things a lot because I'm not present, and I forget what I'm actually doing.

It's like being really really tall and trying to lean down and touch your toes. You can be really far out on an existential mind trip and forget about what you're actually doing and find it hard to tap back in to the present. It's like constantly day dreaming, in a sense, though certain NPs have learned to tame it. I have not.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

garbage

I pretty much have no conscious memory. I rely on external tools to keep track of my obligations, things to do, things to remember, contacts, and so on.

Like others here, it seems that my focus is on summarizing events and abstracting details to the point where I can't consciously recall them unless something external triggers them.

For example, I remembered being distraught by my mother's mood when I went to visit over the weekend, but it took some other stimulus (the simple act of some stranger beside me getting a phone call) that made me remember one of the more specific reasons why I'd reached that conclusion. I wasn't thinking about what had occurred over the weekend, but somehow that was enough to prompt me to remember why it happened.

I guess this phenomenon is kind of weird.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I have an awesome short term memory if I focus..used to take mental pics of my books so I could 'cheat' on my exams. However, since I'm so rarely present in this realms, things don't get logged...things like where my phone is, my keys, etc
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”