• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne, mindmapping and memory recollection?

Snow Turtle

Occasionally I'll come across XNXP claiming that their memories are terrible, well alot of intuitives in fact. Yet I'd imagine that Ne users are the most natural at creating these memory links. So what's the deal?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Occasionally I'll come across XNXP claiming that their memories are terrible, well alot of intuitives in fact. Yet I'd imagine that Ne users are the most natural at creating these memory links. So what's the deal?

I'm not an Ne user, and I have an excellent memory, better than many people I know. So take my guess with a grain of salt.

I think what they mean is that they can't just consciously call up a memory when prompted. But when they see something that evokes an idea, the relevant memory just comes back on it's own. I've found their memories work best when they're trying to come up with an analogy, and worst when they're asked a question about specifics.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I type myself as xNTP and also I have issues when I want remember lists of things somewhat unrelated.
For example, this year I watched around 100 movies but if you ask me some title I can give you very few.
And another example: one of my friend, a totally S, loves "movie quotes" and he could pass one hour tell me a lot of quotes. I don't.
But if we are discussing something, immediately I come to mind a quote who is appropriate.
But I am not sure how this could be explained in terms of functions.
Bye.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm the same way, malcontent. The memory comes back when it needs to, but it's not always at the surface because I need room for all the other stuff I'm taking in. But when it's time to remember something, I can nail you to the wall and tell you what you were wearing when you said it. My short term memory is atrocious, I couldn't tell you what I ate this morning for breakfast. But if you ask me in 6 months, I got it on lock.

I could never understand movie quote people.

EDIT: my memory is recalled by similar things. I see x and it reminds me of y, so I connect the dots to z. But it needs prompting, I don't remember just for remembering's sake.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to remember events with intense emotions. Other stuff is in there, but my chronology is so fucked up I won't be able to tell you whether it's a memory of years ago or quite recent, not to mention that they are also not sorted so my memories of my imagination are in tehre somewhere too. In short..it gets fuzzy up there without a strong emotion to recall :blush:

I need a filing system :doh:

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
there is some truth in it, yes

Ne is not for creating memory links unless those memories are a result of Ne predicting what might happen and then that predicion coming true.

if anything, sometimes i can't remember which way certain things turned out simply because i was going over all the possibilities in my head and spent an equal amount of thought on the actual outcome and a possible outcome. this makes it harder for me to recall what the outcome was- the actual one that happened in real life or the one of the possibilities that happened in my head

thought this can be easily and conciously overcome by paying full attention to the situation

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, whats stored in the long term buffer works great, even when it comes to details. Short term tho, its terrible. If I dont focus on things, I even later look at myself as a stranger when someone tells me what I should have supposingly done.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh Lord,

The good only Ne/XNXP memory..

It's about focus. I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.

NPs are really scatterbrained, and have trouble focusing on the here and now. We can be doing one thing, like reading a book, but be thinking about something else and forget what we were reading about. I lose things a lot because I'm not present, and I forget what I'm actually doing.

It's like being really really tall and trying to lean down and touch your toes. You can be really far out on an existential mind trip and forget about what you're actually doing and find it hard to tap back in to the present. It's like constantly day dreaming, in a sense, though certain NPs have learned to tame it. I have not.

G

garbage

I pretty much have no conscious memory. I rely on external tools to keep track of my obligations, things to do, things to remember, contacts, and so on.

Like others here, it seems that my focus is on summarizing events and abstracting details to the point where I can't consciously recall them unless something external triggers them.

For example, I remembered being distraught by my mother's mood when I went to visit over the weekend, but it took some other stimulus (the simple act of some stranger beside me getting a phone call) that made me remember one of the more specific reasons why I'd reached that conclusion. I wasn't thinking about what had occurred over the weekend, but somehow that was enough to prompt me to remember why it happened.

I guess this phenomenon is kind of weird.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an awesome short term memory if I focus..used to take mental pics of my books so I could 'cheat' on my exams. However, since I'm so rarely present in this realms, things don't get logged...things like where my phone is, my keys, etc :blush:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not an Ne user, and I have an excellent memory, better than many people I know. So take my guess with a grain of salt.

I think what they mean is that they can't just consciously call up a memory when prompted. But when they see something that evokes an idea, the relevant memory just comes back on it's own. I've found their memories work best when they're trying to come up with an analogy, and worst when they're asked a question about specifics.

+100

shit is all tangled up, NOT linear, not organized, and nothing is in the right place. nothing is tagged or labeled, you just have to open the box and see what is in there, or provide a jogger for them, or get them to play detective.

both N types are terrible at remembering things that don't have connections between ohter things. we know all the hubs and all their connecting flights, but we don't remember the other airports or the distance to and from,e tc. it's all about movement and connection.

Ni is more detailed and organized and puts away their mental toys and maps and imaginings when they're done. they need like 100 years of sleep every night to do this, too. i find a quick nap in the afternoon helps me reboot sometimes if i get too overloaded with messiness and scatterbrain. you don't have to get it 100% all the time, let's move on.

Ne people would do well to create external tools to help guide and aid their retrieval process. sometimes say no to the rush and flood of new connections. slow down and stay in-context, build something, develop something. just like Ni people would do well to fucking let go, move on, go to a new room, and just get some new stimulation.

mind-mapping rocks my world. i fucking looooove (cognitive) technology + iNtuition!

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have a very good memory with a very broad scope, but it's also pretty selective. Only, the selection criteria are mostly not evident or logical to others and seldom get expressed directly. But when prompted to, I find it always a thrill to express my criteria behind a specific selection.

I only remember things that have got tagged "NB - Important!" because it connects with other things I'm interested in (Ne) or is associated with a strong feeling of being valuable (Fi). I will remember odd quotes, but not who said or wrote it.

I will remember lumps of knowledge, figures, images for years from all kinds of fields not my own - material history, mathematics, medicine, psychology, economics, biology, astrophysics, sociology, linguistics, geology, art etc.
So what might be disturbing to others, and can make me seem forgetful or scatterbrained, is that I will not remember it according to the accepted context within each field. I will not show much interest in mastering the criteria of their specific branch of knowledge just for its own sake unless I have to for external reasons (exams, debates etc).

It's remembered for something else's sake. Some private seach for meaning through intuition and value. Such lumps of knowledge, quotes, facts, images or models will be remembered in detail for a long time but quite dissociated from their original discipline and its specific internal context and selectivity.

For example: "I don't paint things, I paint relations between things. And relations are love."

Now, I'll already have to search my weak Si for the name of the painter who said that (think it was Matisse) and I really don't remember when and in what context he said it, how it's been interpretated by Art History or even where I picked it up.
Instead such lumps of words, facts or models get associated with some of the trillion other odd lumps that I have collected over the years, forming a treasured part of another kind of system, insight and interest. My kind.

For example: Matisse's words have been with me for some 10 years, while I've learned only recently about MBTI. When I'm contemplating the functional descriptions of dominant Ne and auxiliary Fi, then Matisse's words light up in my memory. I strongly intuit that what he does in painting is exactly what I do in cognition: I don't understand things, I understand relations between things (Ne). And understanding these relations is making me happy, feeling some kind of valuable, 'loving' connection with how the world itself makes sense (Fi).

See? :wubbie:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I actually have a rather strong memory, especially long term. Any true memory "shortcomings" I have would be related to not taking information in the first place. (Probably because I was thinking about something else while it was happening.) I'm not entirely sure how much of a feat it is, but I have 10 13-digit alphanumeric passwords committed to memory. Needless to say, I can't relate to the "NPs have no memory" theory.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I actually have a rather strong memory, especially long term. Any true memory "shortcomings" I have would be related to not taking information in the first place. (Probably because I was thinking about something else while it was happening.) I'm not entirely sure how much of a feat it is, but I have 10 13-digit alphanumeric passwords committed to memory. Needless to say, I can't relate to the "NPs have no memory" theory.

Man, you would never forget the birthday of your girlfriend, would you ? :D

Snow Turtle

Oh Lord,

It's about focus. I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.

NPs are really scatterbrained, and have trouble focusing on the here and now. We can be doing one thing, like reading a book, but be thinking about something else and forget what we were reading about. I lose things a lot because I'm not present, and I forget what I'm actually doing.

It's like being really really tall and trying to lean down and touch your toes. You can be really far out on an existential mind trip and forget about what you're actually doing and find it hard to tap back in to the present. It's like constantly day dreaming, in a sense, though certain NPs have learned to tame it. I have not.

It's natural for me to assume that when engaging in Ne like behaviour, the brain is focused on the activity and thus the memory links. Granted the idea that the process is unconscious would explain why Ne users might not have sharp memories.

I wonder what the difference for Si users are. Memory recollection through links occurs in most people so what's the difference between the Si user and the Ne user when creating these links.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It looks like both Ni and Ne are about relational mapping. I find myself nodding along with most of what's said... but to highlight a few.

I only remember things that have got tagged "NB - Important!" because it connects with other things I'm interested in (Ne) or is associated with a strong feeling of being valuable (Fi). I will remember odd quotes, but not who said or wrote it.
Tagging. That's exactly what I call it. I don't categorize things by putting them into boxes. Instead I tag or flag them with little descriptor notes. Like a computer keyword search?

I'm not good with extra quotes though. All I remember is the gist of what's said. Exactly what onewithsoul said.

I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.

My short term memory isn't bad so long as I remember to note it down. I guess it's really selective in that I must tell myself to remember it, other wise the details just go poof!

For example: "I don't paint things, I paint relations between things. And relations are love."
Love that! I wouldn't call relationships as "love" but I do like lumping everything together. It's a beautiful sight when suddenly you see how it all fits together. :)

Man, you would never forget the birthday of your girlfriend, would you ? :D
Entropie... at times I don't even remember my birthday. Once I wished a friend "Happy belated easter", when I've completely forgotten it was his birthday. :doh: It was only when he swore at me that I recalled.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Focus on the connections between things, rather than the things themselves.

I don't think in details, I think in relationships between details. It's like the strings holding a bunch of scattered playing cards together -- I hold the strings, not the cards, in my hands and have to tug on a string to reel in the card/detail.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh Lord,

^^^^ What he said. It was very frustrating in high school especially since they give you these pop quizzes that are very detailed:

"What did X say to Y after the PQR happened and what was the result?"

"When A did B, how did C react?"

"Describe the scenery in ---shire."

UGHHHHH sorry I was thinking about something else then.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My memory is pretty good, but that's probably because Si isn't my inferior. It's not too strong, but not too bad. If I have an Fi connection to the detailed information then I won't forget it.