First 12

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm not an Ne user, and I have an excellent memory, better than many people I know. So take my guess with a grain of salt.

I think what they mean is that they can't just consciously call up a memory when prompted. But when they see something that evokes an idea, the relevant memory just comes back on it's own. I've found their memories work best when they're trying to come up with an analogy, and worst when they're asked a question about specifics.
    +100

shit is all tangled up, NOT linear, not organized, and nothing is in the right place. nothing is tagged or labeled, you just have to open the box and see what is in there, or provide a jogger for them, or get them to play detective.

both N types are terrible at remembering things that don't have connections between ohter things. we know all the hubs and all their connecting flights, but we don't remember the other airports or the distance to and from,e tc. it's all about movement and connection.

Ni is more detailed and organized and puts away their mental toys and maps and imaginings when they're done. they need like 100 years of sleep every night to do this, too. i find a quick nap in the afternoon helps me reboot sometimes if i get too overloaded with messiness and scatterbrain. you don't have to get it 100% all the time, let's move on.

Ne people would do well to create external tools to help guide and aid their retrieval process. sometimes say no to the rush and flood of new connections. slow down and stay in-context, build something, develop something. just like Ni people would do well to fucking let go, move on, go to a new room, and just get some new stimulation.

mind-mapping rocks my world. i fucking looooove (cognitive) technology + iNtuition!

MBTI
    ENFP

I have a very good memory with a very broad scope, but it's also pretty selective. Only, the selection criteria are mostly not evident or logical to others and seldom get expressed directly. But when prompted to, I find it always a thrill to express my criteria behind a specific selection.

I only remember things that have got tagged "NB - Important!" because it connects with other things I'm interested in (Ne) or is associated with a strong feeling of being valuable (Fi). I will remember odd quotes, but not who said or wrote it.

I will remember lumps of knowledge, figures, images for years from all kinds of fields not my own - material history, mathematics, medicine, psychology, economics, biology, astrophysics, sociology, linguistics, geology, art etc.
    So what might be disturbing to others, and can make me seem forgetful or scatterbrained, is that I will not remember it according to the accepted context within each field. I will not show much interest in mastering the criteria of their specific branch of knowledge just for its own sake unless I have to for external reasons (exams, debates etc).

It's remembered for something else's sake. Some private seach for meaning through intuition and value. Such lumps of knowledge, quotes, facts, images or models will be remembered in detail for a long time but quite dissociated from their original discipline and its specific internal context and selectivity.

For example: "I don't paint things, I paint relations between things. And relations are love."

Now, I'll already have to search my weak Si for the name of the painter who said that (think it was Matisse) and I really don't remember when and in what context he said it, how it's been interpretated by Art History or even where I picked it up.
    Instead such lumps of words, facts or models get associated with some of the trillion other odd lumps that I have collected over the years, forming a treasured part of another kind of system, insight and interest. My kind.

For example: Matisse's words have been with me for some 10 years, while I've learned only recently about MBTI. When I'm contemplating the functional descriptions of dominant Ne and auxiliary Fi, then Matisse's words light up in my memory. I strongly intuit that what he does in painting is exactly what I do in cognition: I don't understand things, I understand relations between things (Ne). And understanding these relations is making me happy, feeling some kind of valuable, 'loving' connection with how the world itself makes sense (Fi).

See?

MBTI
    xxxx

I actually have a rather strong memory, especially long term. Any true memory "shortcomings" I have would be related to not taking information in the first place. (Probably because I was thinking about something else while it was happening.) I'm not entirely sure how much of a feat it is, but I have 10 13-digit alphanumeric passwords committed to memory. Needless to say, I can't relate to the "NPs have no memory" theory.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I actually have a rather strong memory, especially long term. Any true memory "shortcomings" I have would be related to not taking information in the first place. (Probably because I was thinking about something else while it was happening.) I'm not entirely sure how much of a feat it is, but I have 10 13-digit alphanumeric passwords committed to memory. Needless to say, I can't relate to the "NPs have no memory" theory.
    Man, you would never forget the birthday of your girlfriend, would you ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Oh Lord,

The good only Ne/XNXP memory..

It's about focus. I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.

NPs are really scatterbrained, and have trouble focusing on the here and now. We can be doing one thing, like reading a book, but be thinking about something else and forget what we were reading about. I lose things a lot because I'm not present, and I forget what I'm actually doing.

It's like being really really tall and trying to lean down and touch your toes. You can be really far out on an existential mind trip and forget about what you're actually doing and find it hard to tap back in to the present. It's like constantly day dreaming, in a sense, though certain NPs have learned to tame it. I have not.
    It's natural for me to assume that when engaging in Ne like behaviour, the brain is focused on the activity and thus the memory links. Granted the idea that the process is unconscious would explain why Ne users might not have sharp memories.

I wonder what the difference for Si users are. Memory recollection through links occurs in most people so what's the difference between the Si user and the Ne user when creating these links.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

It looks like both Ni and Ne are about relational mapping. I find myself nodding along with most of what's said... but to highlight a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart&Brain View Post
    I only remember things that have got tagged "NB - Important!" because it connects with other things I'm interested in (Ne) or is associated with a strong feeling of being valuable (Fi). I will remember odd quotes, but not who said or wrote it.
    Tagging. That's exactly what I call it. I don't categorize things by putting them into boxes. Instead I tag or flag them with little descriptor notes. Like a computer keyword search?

I'm not good with extra quotes though. All I remember is the gist of what's said. Exactly what onewithsoul said.

I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.
    My short term memory isn't bad so long as I remember to note it down. I guess it's really selective in that I must tell myself to remember it, other wise the details just go poof!

For example: "I don't paint things, I paint relations between things. And relations are love."
    Love that! I wouldn't call relationships as "love" but I do like lumping everything together. It's a beautiful sight when suddenly you see how it all fits together.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Man, you would never forget the birthday of your girlfriend, would you ?
    Entropie... at times I don't even remember my birthday. Once I wished a friend "Happy belated easter", when I've completely forgotten it was his birthday. It was only when he swore at me that I recalled.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Focus on the connections between things, rather than the things themselves.

I don't think in details, I think in relationships between details. It's like the strings holding a bunch of scattered playing cards together -- I hold the strings, not the cards, in my hands and have to tug on a string to reel in the card/detail.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Oh Lord,

The good only Ne/XNXP memory..

It's about focus. I have a terrible detailed memory, or short term memory. I remember events, feelings, and situations well, but details are all blank.

NPs are really scatterbrained, and have trouble focusing on the here and now. We can be doing one thing, like reading a book, but be thinking about something else and forget what we were reading about. I lose things a lot because I'm not present, and I forget what I'm actually doing.

It's like being really really tall and trying to lean down and touch your toes. You can be really far out on an existential mind trip and forget about what you're actually doing and find it hard to tap back in to the present. It's like constantly day dreaming, in a sense, though certain NPs have learned to tame it. I have not.
    ^^^^ What he said. It was very frustrating in high school especially since they give you these pop quizzes that are very detailed:

"What did X say to Y after the PQR happened and what was the result?"

"When A did B, how did C react?"

"Describe the scenery in ---shire."

UGHHHHH sorry I was thinking about something else then.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My memory is pretty good, but that's probably because Si isn't my inferior. It's not too strong, but not too bad. If I have an Fi connection to the detailed information then I won't forget it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)