• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does anyone else hate their type's profiles?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Survival Guide For INFPs - PersonalityCafe

^This seriously makes me want to vomit. It starts with an overview of the INFP type and it's like... no. I personally think type should be determined by functions and not have any profiles... since there are so many holes in them, but the function order makes sense and is in use for everyone of that type.

Anyone else?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Type profiles/descriptions are just descriptions of a certain combination of functions anyway aren't they?

I relate to pretty much all of the ISFP type descriptions really well, some are uncannily accurate, especially regarding parts of myself that I prefer not to consider.

I used to think type descriptions were bunk, when I had mistyped myself and was actually reading the wrong descriptions for me! :D

G

garbage

Some of them are better than others. When people refer to "type descriptions," it raises the question.. "which one?" There's so much variance in quality that which set one is talking about becomes relevant.

I kind of like the ENTP Personal Growth page, though. Some others, I don't.

(The Personal Growth pages for the types can be found here, too.)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Indeed, the applicability varies by author. Generally I am pleased with this site's writeups:

The Personality Type Portraits

Yeah those are good profiles. Thankfully those are the ones that I first read when getting into MBTI. I don't know, I was just taken aback that these stereotypes are thrown on people... people vary so much within types.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah those are good profiles. Thankfully those are the ones that I first read when getting into MBTI. I don't know, I was just taken aback that these stereotypes are thrown on people... people vary so much within types.

You do know that the "Survival Guide for INFPs" was taken from PersonalityPage's Personal Growth section?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You do know that the "Survival Guide for INFPs" was taken from PersonalityPage's Personal Growth section?

I related to the profile but not really the personal growth when I first started doing this. I related to a few things... but yeah. Lots of it just seems stereotypical, but you've gotta start somewhere. IIRC I skimmed through the personal growth section, related to a few things and otherwise thought "eh".

I'm replying now with a more detailed answer.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I related to the profile but not really the personal growth when I first started doing this. I related to a few things... but yeah. Lots of it just seems stereotypical, but you've gotta start somewhere. IIRC I skimmed through the personal growth section, related to a few things and otherwise thought "eh".

I'm replying now with a more detailed answer.
It may be a little different for you, considering that you don't have strong preference for INFP. I found the INFJ section very helpful. I like that site in particular, in addition to bestfittype. Actually, I don't have issues with any profiles, although some are better than others.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To quote from the profile...

Nearly all INFPs will recognize the following characteristics in themselves. They should embrace and nourish these strengths:

* Highly creative, artistic and spiritual, they can produce wonderful works of art, music and literature. INFPs are natural artists. They will find great satisfaction if they encourage and develop their artistic abilities. That doesn’t mean that an INFP has to be a famous writer or painter in order to be content. Simply the act of “creating” will be a fulfilling source of renewal and refreshment to the INFP. An INFP should allow himself or herself some artistic outlet, because it will add enrichment and positive energy to their life. hell no

* They’re more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most INFPs have strong Faith. Those that don’t may feel as if they’re missing something important. An INFP should nourish their faith. How is this even a type trait? What about atheist INFPs? I don't have a faith personally.

* INFPs are very aware of social injustice, and empathize with the underdog. Their empathy for the underdog and hyper-awareness of social injustice makes them extremely compassionate and nurturing towards disadvantaged members of our society. INFPs will feel most useful and fulfilled when they are fighting to help people who have been misfortunate in our society. They may be teachers, ministers, writers, counselors or psychologists, but they will most likely all spend extra time trying to help people with special problems. An INFP can find a tremendous amount of satisfaction by enacting some kind of social change that will help the underdog. This just seems irrelevant... I don't feel the need to help people with "special problems", even though I do want to be a counselor.

* They’re usually good listeners who genuinely want to hear about someone’s problems, and genuinely want to help them. This makes them outstanding counselors, and good friends. An INFP may find great satisfaction from volunteering as a counselor. Yes this is true of me, but I've met INFPs that don't want to deal with that sort of thing. So...

* They accept and value people as individuals, and are strongly egalitarian. They believe that individuals have the right to be themselves, without having their attitudes and perspectives brought under scrutiny. Accordingly, they have a great deal of tolerance and acceptance dealing with people who might encounter negative judgment from society in general. They can see something positive in everyone. They believe in individuals. If they give themselves the opportunity, an INFP can become a much-needed source of self-esteem and confidence for people who cannot find it on their own. In this way, they can nurture a “sick soul” back to health. This I definitely relate to, but I've seen and interacted with cynical INFPs who aren't egalitarian

* Usually deep and intelligent, they’re able to grasp difficult concepts with relative ease. They usually do quite well academically, and will find that educating their minds nourishes their need to think deeply.I struggle with difficult concepts if I don't care about them, making school difficult. But if I do care then it's fine. So, I suppose no to this

The part that made me mad about what I quoted above is that CLEARLY these aren't universal type traits...

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yea, INFP has some of the worse descriptions.

If you are an INFP who laughs at other people's pain, like me, you aren't going to relate to many of the descriptions.

The OP link is just...just no. It's globalchatter condensed into a page:sick:.

The part that made me mad about what I quoted above is that CLEARLY these aren't universal type traits...

Pretty much. They even put political views on INFPs in some descriptions.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Faith isn't necessarily about religion; it's a mindset, that can be applied to any number of things. In the case of INFPs, I imagine it's most likely to be applied to people or principles.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^My thoughts exactly.

And I've met cynical INFPs, but they were also "unhealthy," so...For the most part, all but the first bullet point applies to the INFPs I know.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Faith isn't necessarily about religion; it's a mindset, that can be applied to any number of things. In the case of INFPs, I imagine it's most likely to be applied to people or principles.

Again, what?

Nevermind cynical, being rational contradicts that idea. Unlike faith in a religious sense (debatable, I'm sure), that is merely childish behaviour. I was like that as a kid, anyway. I doubt it applies to most INFPs.

I start with Fi:-
Carl Jung. "Psychological Types" Book. CHAPTER X (General Description Of The Types). The Introverted type.

Add Ne etc.

It's the most accurate description I've seen for me. Probably because it excludes things outside of type.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Again, what?

Nevermind cynical, being rational contradicts that idea. Unlike faith in a religious sense (debatable, I'm sure), that is merely childish behaviour.

I start with Fi:-
Carl Jung. "Psychological Types" Book. CHAPTER X (General Description Of The Types). The Introverted type.

Add Ne etc.

It's the most relatable description I've seen for me.

"The most relatable description you have seen for you."

I am still wondering if the majority of people, who are called officially insane are I or E

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Again, what?

Nevermind cynical, being rational contradicts that idea. Unlike faith in a religious sense (debatable, I'm sure), that is merely childish behaviour. I was like that as a kid, anyway. I doubt it applies to most INFPs.
I certainly wish some people I've known had more faith in me.

Reason isn't everything.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I certainly wish some people I've known had more faith in me.

Reason isn't everything.

I certainly hope people don't have faith in me, that would be stupid of them. Why randomly guess, when one can greatly increase the odds of being correct? Helps achieve any goal.

It's not everything (notably, the goals themselves). Use of reason shows us that;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think, with the type description in question, it's all about the words "may", "usually" and "most", e.g. "most INFPs have strong faith". So, of course not all INFPs are like that. They're just saying that they can be disposed towards that.

But, of course, it's phrased really badly. They shouldn't follow up a statement like that first one ("Nearly all INFPs...") with generalizations like the ones that come later. Badly done.

To answer the OP, a ton of sites say that ESTJs would do well in the military, which, in another life, I might, but NOT IN THIS ONE. They also say that I don't question authority. I often do, with authorities that I don't respect. On the ESTJ equivalent of that INFP page, they said that ESTJs are "natural leaders", and with regard to that point, I couldn't disagree with them more. Maybe ENTJs are natural leaders, but not us. Certainly not me, anyway.

Frank

Some of them are better than others. When people refer to "type descriptions," it raises the question.. "which one?" There's so much variance in quality that which set one is talking about becomes relevant.

I kind of like the ENTP Personal Growth page, though. Some others, I don't.

(The Personal Growth pages for the types can be found here, too.)

yeah that one paints every type in a warm and sunny light. They are the first ones I've seen who found such a diplomatic way to call ENTJ assholes. I've got a hundred that says it was written by an NF.