User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else hate their type's profiles?

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Hm, I don't think the profile in the OP is too bad, it just makes a lot of generalizations & goes straight for the stereotypes. I've seen worse actually. I've always felt that INFP profiles emphasize the hippy Mother Theresa side a little too much. I almost feel guilty identifying with such a "nice" profile, because I'm simply not that sugary by a long shot. I had trouble seeing myself as having Fi at first because of these descriptions.

Now, I would say that internally I relate to the INFP profiles more than I appear to though. If you go by this profile, I think you might mistake some INFPs for INTPs initially, because many of us are quite aloof. I mean, I absolutely hate when people say we're teddy bears, or whatever. Externally, I'm not that soft, and internally I am not that simple (or soft...).

I find myself and some other INFPs to be a little bit of a dichotomy. Seemingly opposite traits exist in an individual, while more "related" traits may not.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I start with Fi:-
    Carl Jung. "Psychological Types" Book. CHAPTER X (General Description Of The Types). The Introverted type.

Add Ne etc.

It's the most accurate description I've seen for me. Probably because it excludes things outside of type.
    I agree, that is a very good profile.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

But that Carl Jung profile requires me to separate every little phrase to try and understand what the heck it means. It's way too Freudian for me, all the conscious/unconscious talk. I can't say I hate it, but I find it useless.

The only profiles I know I hate are the typelogic ones by Joe Butt. Especially some of the SJ ones, in particular, the "functional analysis" section for ISFJs. None of those descriptions are appealing at all, and some are very difficult to relate to how people really are (Si is the function "full of archetypes/mythical figures/hobgoblins"? All their Fe does is make them tentative about expressing opinions? Nothing else?)

I don't know if all the Butt descriptions are bad, I doubt it. But that's one of the profiles I always remember not liking at all.

When going around to MBTI pages, I sometimes wonder how much MBTI has limited or liberated people.

I use MBTI as a tool for self reflection. I take the negative points and think about them to see if they apply and if it's something that I should try to work on. It's been helpful in that regard. Especially the cognitive functions.

I'm sometimes taken back by how people have weaponized MBTI and attack each other. "Since you're INTP, you suck at parties"

There was a time that this was true, but instead of thinking that this description is my destiny, I saw it as a way to improve.

Like all tools, it can be used for good or bad, to create or destroy.

Senior Member Array

The ISTP profiles are terrible

Senior Member Array iamathousandapples's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    The ISTP profiles are terrible
    Seconded. There are few, if any good ISTP profiles out there

Senior Member Array Nonsensical's Avatar

You want to know what I think?

I think Black Cat is an INTJ.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

The INFJ profiles seem alright to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Survival Guide For INFPs - PersonalityCafe

^This seriously makes me want to vomit. It starts with an overview of the INFP type and it's like... no. I personally think type should be determined by functions and not have any profiles... since there are so many holes in them, but the function order makes sense and is in use for everyone of that type.

Anyone else?
    Vomit. Vomitus. Excreta. Excrement. Excrementitious. Excremental.

You are going to have to stop making such good points.
    I'm tired of agreeing with you.

I think all the profiles are nonsense.
    Function orders are what matter.
    Not the order MBTI claims people have;
    the function order a person actually has.

There should be more tests online that attempt to do this.
    I'm not satisfied with the limited number available, nor their caliber.
    But then is this cat ever satisfied?
    Goes with the territory.

I don't think you are INFP anyway.
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.

The ENTJ profile fits me well and I feel a little proud when I read it. I even love the weaknesses section because it makes me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    You want to know what I think?

I think Black Cat is an INTJ.
    I think so, too.
    Something Witty