• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament Confusion.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
:) We have some lovely confusion here about the basic temperament phraseology.

There exists threads about the temperament and the MBTI system correlation figures.

People have acted in good faith.
However it is not wise to believe everything you encounter in the Internet.

Internet is a jungle. It is mostly mud. There are pearls in the mud but they are very rare.

Popular psychology is there for a purpose.

There exists religious groups, diverse classes of occultists as well as other gloomy people.

They abuse psychology for their own intent.

lastrailway

Oh, well. You can draw correlations of almost everything. And sometimes that's quite funny.
MBTI the way I/many people use it, falls in the category of popular psychology. And I/many people, like to play with it :)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, well. You can draw correlations of almost everything. And sometimes that's quite funny.
MBTI the way I/many people use it, falls in the category of popular psychology. And I/many people, like to play with it :)
Medicine?
Find something else.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
You posted similarly yesterday, but I haven't read anything more than cryptic assertions.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What you're saying, then, is that trying to equate MBTI with these other temperament theories dilutes it/confuses understanding of it, and promotes/gives validity to the system that is less useful/accurate?

After thinking about it, I would probably agree with you on the Temperaments, but I can see the Enneagram as having more validity. What do you think?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
What you're saying, then, is that trying to equate MBTI with these other temperament theories dilutes it/confuses understanding of it, and promotes/gives validity to the system that is less useful/accurate?

After thinking about it, I would probably agree with you on the Temperaments, but I can see the Enneagram as having more validity. What do you think?
I agree.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Htb said:
You posted similarly yesterday, but I haven't read anything more than cryptic assertions.
:confused:

Memorable quotes for
Mystery Men (1999)

The Sphinx: We are number one. All others are number two, or lower.
The Sphinx: To learn my teachings, I must first teach you how to learn.
The Sphinx: You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums.
The Sphinx: He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.
The Sphinx: You must be like wolf pack, not six-pack.

Mr. Furious tries to balance a hammer on his head]
Mr. Furious: Why am I doing this, again?
The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
Mr. Furious: And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?
The Sphinx: [looks at the watermelon on Mr. Furious' feet] I don't remember telling you to do that.

The Sphinx: When you care what is outside, what is inside cares for you.

Mr. Furious: Okay, am I the only one who finds these sayings just a little bit formulaic? "If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up. If you want to go left, you have to go right." It's...
The Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage...
Mr. Furious: ...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?
The Sphinx: Not necessarily.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Nice quote, from a great ad about...

Guiness Beer.
I have not seen the ad. I suspect the phrase is a way older. The copywriters rarely invent anything, they are lazy people who pick up bygone sayings and pieces of music and people think they are new Mozarts or something.
Now that we have Internet their work has become all too easy and they spend their days in the country club playing golf.

Autumn is coming and the Irish priests find shelter in the cozy pubs of Cork where they consume vast quantities of Guinness. The Veneti was a proto-Italo-Celtic tribe who lived south of the Baltic Sea before the historical era. They had a lot of sheep and they made a lot of wool and their druids drank a lot of dark barley beer not different from Guinness. The invading Slavic hordes drove them away from their homeland and what happened to them is a mystery no one can answer. Maybe some of their descendants settled in the British Isles. Their emblem was Swastika yes but it was not exactly in the Hitler form. They never worried about global warming.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You cannot draw correlations of almost anything. You can only draw correlations about things that do correlate.

We should not draw correlations between the MBTI and temperament/personality unless we have a fixed set of rules based on experimental study.

We can learn from Hippocrates. We do not need to accept him as an authority.

Te/Fi

Eysenck was an empirist. He was an ESTJ, that is for sure. He was not given in to wild theores.

Even today he is the foremost scholar in the groundwork of personality/temperamental studies.

He was a racist and in many ways an unpleasant fellow. He said a melancholic temperament does not get lung cancer from smoking.
He was well paid by the tobacco companies.

Eysenck was sincere though. He believed what he wanted to believe.
Self deception is an economic tribute. The ESTJs are a practical minded lot.

The environment and the public health issues do not exclusively suffer in the hands of crooks.
Read the M. Anthony speech about the honourable men.
Any continuum has two poles. The continuum of naivete is not an exception.

It is not the INFP kind of naivete that should get us most worried.
There is an other end in the line.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Good things come to those who wait.
It's from a French writer in 1548
Everything comes to him who knows how to wait
(Tout vient a celui qui sait attendre)
Rabelais, Pantagruel, bk 4, ch. 48

President Abraham Lincoln brought it to the forefront when he said:
""Good things come to those who wait,
but only the things left over by those who hustle." (tee-hee)