• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type suited & not suited for running a business?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
I realize that MBTI may probably have a tendency to pigeonhole & boxing people into labels & 'groups' ,..but sometimes I do wonder if it does matter with the capacity/ability/skill for running a business. In other words, based from my observation, looking at some who fall , and some who succesfully rise to the top (even in a very quick & 'smart' & cunning ways) , I do now seems to be more 'aware' somehow that probably the answer to all of those rise & fall lies in the MBTI's different Types.

What I want to ask is: does it really relate with who's more sucessful in running a business? Does it matter?
And if yes, which Type do you think that's more suited, and not (or very least) suited for running a business?

Plus, I'm sure you know the sayings: "in order to run a business, one has to be ruthless" .
And it's just in my opinion that, some Types just lack that ruthless and goal-oriented aspect, which can eventually turn out on the success or failure of running a business. For example, just from my own observation, "NF" types seems to be lacking that ruthless aspect, often needed in business-world.

But I could be wrong..
What do u guys think on this one?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't make you anymore successful. It just makes you feel special.

Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else...

Mendacity

I realize that MBTI may probably have a tendency to pigeonhole & boxing people into labels & 'groups' ,..but sometimes I do wonder if it does matter with the capacity/ability/skill for running a business. In other words, based from my observation, looking at some who fall , and some who succesfully rise to the top (even in a very quick & 'smart' & cunning ways) , I do now seems to be more 'aware' somehow that probably the answer to all of those rise & fall lies in the MBTI's different Types.

What I want to ask is: does it really relate with who's more sucessful in running a business? Does it matter?
And if yes, which Type do you think that's more suited, and not (or very least) suited for running a business?

Plus, I'm sure you know the sayings: "in order to run a business, one has to be ruthless" .
And it's just in my opinion that, some Types just lack that ruthless and goal-oriented aspect, which can eventually turn out on the success or failure of running a business. For example, just from my own observation, "NF" types seems to be lacking that ruthless aspect, often needed in business-world.

But I could be wrong..

First, I don't think that one truly has to be ruthless to run a business. My father ran a law firm for many years and my older brother is in the process of taking one over. While they're both driven, intelligent and ambitious people, ruthless is not the correct word to describe either of them. I would say that it being necessary to be ruthless to run a business is something of a myth.
Also, I agree with Uberfuhrer in that I think type has less to do with one's ability to run a business than does how one uses one's specific strengths. I might also add that there are many different kinds of businesses and many different ways to run them.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ignoring all the areas that are better suited to other types; ignoring all the other factors that go being successful, the two traits that seem to be most useful are;

T - objective and analytical thinking tends to do better, if you assume that over representation is better.

J - the closer, the pusher and everything else.

Very little impact on the other two traits. Again, this assumes an awful lot and there are no generic answers. Different jobs/businesses need different types - for example, training/trainers tend to be better as Fs, just as most medical support staff is better as F. The P/J thing is a bit stronger, however, for any job that requires self-starting (namely creating your own business).

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Honestly, I find ruthless is an inexperienced Fi description of Te.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The J isn't necessarily the hard-working stereotype.

J also tends to be the closed-minded stereotype with the time clock built in his head. The J wants to know what he's getting into, and probably won't try new things if he feels it's a waste of time.

P/J measures how you prefer to live in the outer world. What J means in having the outer world organized is wanting to stick to the plan. The J doesn't like surprises and wants life to be predictable.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

But I could be wrong..

I think ExTJ is the ideal type to run a business. Beyond that it somewhat depends on the business, because some businesses can do well with an introvert and others really require an extravert. Some businesses are better for a T and others are better for an F. In the end I think any type can run a business, but I think it is easiest for ExTJ's and hardest for IxFP's.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think all EJ's would be best, and all IP's would be worst, and IJ and EP would depend on the type of business.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Just for the record, Is tend to be more represented in higher up leadership positions... although it isn't significantly more. The I/E divide really isn't much of a divide in business (unless you want to go into training or service industries). You have a full range of options as an I (or E)... it doesn't hamper you nearly at all.

(All this assuming a healthy level of either, not the "Extremes" that are assumed when calling oneself introverted.)

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
Dear Lord you do not want me to run a business.

Customer/Client/Business Associate calls- Is LadyPinkington Available?

Secretary-I'm sorry Sir/Madam- you'll have to call back- she is currently in the Abyss of Despair and so is indisposed at the momment. We are hiring the sevices of an ENTP or ESTP to bring her out and we'll have her call you back after she is available.

O

Oberon

Knowing myself, I would say that an ENTP shouldn't run a business alone. He needs some J to do the accounting and keep the schedule. If an ENTP is part of a business startup, he or she is best employed doing creative work, marketing, or R&D.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
Dear Lord you do not want me to run a business.

Customer/Client/Business Associate calls- Is LadyPinkington Available?

Secretary-I'm sorry Sir/Madam- you'll have to call back- she is currently in the Abyss of Despair and so is indisposed at the momment. We are hiring the sevices of an ENTP or ESTP to bring her out and we'll have her call you back after she is available.

oops I forgot to mention that when Abyss of Despair happens- all profits may be squandered on medicative oreos,lol.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just for the record, Is tend to be more represented in higher up leadership positions... although it isn't significantly more. The I/E divide really isn't much of a divide in business (unless you want to go into training or service industries). You have a full range of options as an I (or E)... it doesn't hamper you nearly at all.

(All this assuming a healthy level of either, not the "Extremes" that are assumed when calling oneself introverted.)

I think it depends on what question you are trying to ask. In the U.S. 80% of businesses are sole proprietorships. I believe in such an endevor you will find E, T and J to be overrepresented although they may only work for themselves or perhaps have a few employees.

On the other hand if you want to look at leadership types within a corporation: vice presidents, board members, etc... I believe you will find I's to be overrepresented. Working your way up the corporate ladder and owning your own business are two separate things entirely.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think it depends on what question you are trying to ask. In the U.S. 80% of businesses are sole proprietorships. I believe in such an endevor you will find E, T and J to be overrepresented although they may only work for themselves or perhaps have a few employees.

I was assuming "successful" was part of the equation - most small businesses fail for a lack of planning and followthrough. In any case, since I don't have any hard evidence within MBTI of what it takes, I'll go with "I don't know for sure" approach, except to say that the companies that I have noted aren't run by strong Es and most research shows this gap to be very small... but again, that wasn't just about the "run from your house" or "corner market" types of companies, but family businesses (which can be from a few people to hundreds, if not thousands.)

It really does depend exactly what is being talked about, I think.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I realize that MBTI may probably have a tendency to pigeonhole & boxing people into labels & 'groups' ,..but sometimes I do wonder if it does matter with the capacity/ability/skill for running a business. In other words, based from my observation, looking at some who fall , and some who successfully rise to the top (even in a very quick & 'smart' & cunning ways) , I do now seems to be more 'aware' somehow that probably the answer to all of those rise & fall lies in the MBTI's different Types.

What I want to ask is: does it really relate with who's more successful in running a business? Does it matter?

But I could be wrong..
ENTPs tend to be highly entrepreneurial.

It's not just type that suits one for a business, I think.
Upbringing, energy, knowledge can have a lot to do with it, too.

Anyone can succeed in business if they have people to help them in the areas of their weaknesses.
Yeah, owning your own business is hard,
but every type has strengths and weaknesses that will effect it.
Having owned several businesses and knowing business people,
I don't really believe being ruthless is a requirement.
I believe, "what goes around comes around" would be a much better principle to live by.

Having said that, being ruthless IS a requirement if you're going to be a landlord.
The nice ones get chewed up and spit out. :cry:

If you're thinking of going into business for yourself,
if it's something you really want to do,
don't let anybody logic you out of it.
BUT- don't do it alone.
You need help.

Owning a business is hard work.
You are at your customers' beck and call 24/7.
An NF person who has an SJ helping them could do very well
if they both felt it was something they wanted to do.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I ran a store before, somewhat accidentally. I was internally promoted to store manager when I had no intentions of being promoted. I do not think my personality is suited to run a business, but for some reason, I tend get promoted into manager positions. I attribute it to my directness in speech (I'm a "Get this done!" instead of "Would it be possible to get this done?" kind of girl) and my drive to complete goals.

That being said...

When running a store, my INFJ personality was suited for...

-Getting tasks done - I do tend to be a LITTLE more task oriented than people oriented when I have a goal, though if I do offend anyone in the process, I end up feeling awful about it.
-Getting people to listen to me and work as I needed them to work in order for business to succeed
-Setting goals and figuring out ways to reach them - usually bringing new ideas to the table
-I value the needs of others and like to incorporate them into the business. I didn't have much of a problem with my staff disliking me or feeling as though I was unfair. I was also super aware of any problems my employees were having and naturally would do what I could to fix them or adapt things to fit their needs.
-Though I do value and take into consideration the needs of others, I also I have absolutely no problem directing others.
-I think the INFJ's natural tendency to anticipate helped out tremendously because I was always prepared - whether it be for a rush of customers or with making sure I wasn't ever short staffed.

The things that drove me nuts were...

-The detail work... I wanted to scream whenever I was doing the ordering, etc. I also have the tendency to be spacy and that didn't help much either.
-Too much people interaction in a group setting... I didn't have much one on one interaction and I don't feel I was very good at managing a group. This also led to me being exhausted often due to lack of recharge time, which led to my stress levels going sky high.
-I was managing sales and I felt as though I was deceiving others - and INFJ's are all about authenticity. I couldn't truly care about what I was doing (the INFJ need for a purpose thing) and that ultimately made me depressed and led to my decision to resign from the job.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Knowing myself, I would say that an ENTP shouldn't run a business alone. He needs some J to do the accounting and keep the schedule. If an ENTP is part of a business startup, he or she is best employed doing creative work, marketing, or R&D.

You sound exactly like my ENTP friend.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Keep the INTP type 9 far away from running his own business. You might be able to use him to analyze your business situation and management and tell you some things that need to be improved, though. Just don't let him make the improvements himself.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
To use a blunt instrument, I imagine I_FPs would be worst at it, INFPs in particular.