User Tag List

12 Last

Default ent/fj and Ni utilization

I would like to start a thread on how to strengthen and better utilize Ni in types who supposedly have it as a second function. Anybody find any methods for accomplishing this? I am more interested in what you have actually done that works then in an untried theory. Types other than enj are also welcome to comment.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

This might not be to the degree of specificity that you want, but in short, just try to fight your natural desire to make immediate decisions about things. Study INTJs! Watch how they do basically the same things as you but spend more time "in the tank" considering all their options than they do actually interacting with the outer world...but when they do interact with the outer world, they're decisively getting stuff done and rather resemble ENTJs.

I know it's important to get your goals and priorities organized, but the fundamental difference between you and INTJs is that they're better at Ni and you're better at Te, so if you study each other you'll both improve.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    entp

go study engineering

engineering strengthens Ni? How so? I've always thought of engineering as more of a Ti thing but that is only based off of the engineers I know.

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This might not be to the degree of specificity that you want, but in short, just try to fight your natural desire to make immediate decisions about things. Study INTJs! Watch how they do basically the same things as you but spend more time "in the tank" considering all their options than they do actually interacting with the outer world...but when they do interact with the outer world, they're decisively getting stuff done and rather resemble ENTJs.

I know it's important to get your goals and priorities organized, but the fundamental difference between you and INTJs is that they're better at Ni and you're better at Te, so if you study each other you'll both improve.
    That is good advice simulated. Thanks. Now I just need to find me some INTJ. They are hard fuckers to pin down.

Glycerine

Spend a lot of time alone. That's what worked for me. Yes before you decide on something, think of the possibilities/ perspectives. You could spend like a half-hour going inside your head daily like an exercise.

Yeah I really need to work on that alone thing. Although there are generally very few people whos company I truly enjoy I can't seem to be alone for too long without getting lethargic and mind-numbed. My best alone time is when i am diligently studying something I am extremely interested in. Any pointers on what to do during the alone time P. I know that sounds pitiful but I am serious.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    engineering strengthens Ni? How so? I've always thought of engineering as more of a Ti thing but that is only based off of the engineers I know.
    Ni strengthens engineering i do like the direction this thread suggests. By that i mean-suggests to me. After making my own internal interpretation of the OP of course. i'm not being sarcastic either. My Ni suggested to me that those first 4 sentences could have a sarcastic underlying meaning to their readers, which compelled me to write the 5th sentence.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Yeah I really need to work on that alone thing. Although there are generally very few people whos company I truly enjoy I can't seem to be alone for too long without getting lethargic and mind-numbed. My best alone time is when i am diligently studying something I am extremely interested in. Any pointers on what to do during the alone time P. I know that sounds pitiful but I am serious.
    How about this? Pick a subject a you are really interested in and think of as many perspectives/angles on it as you possibly can. Play devil's advocate in your mind. Debate yourself. Ex. If you had a strong opinion on abortion, besides your opinion, what do the religious people say? What do the democrats say? How about the republicans? What is the medical field's agenda? This is what Ni does for me. While you do this, listen to music, watch some tv, have a ball in your hand, or play an easy video/ computer game. It may help if you engage in a slight Se activity to alleviate being completely lethargic/numbminded in your alone time. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    How about this? Pick a subject a you are really interested in and think of as many perspectives/angles on it as you possibly can. Play devil's advocate in your mind. Debate yourself. Ex. If you had a strong opinion on abortion, besides your opinion, what do the religious people say? What do the democrats say? How about the republicans? What is the medical field's agenda? This is what Ni does for me. While you do this, listen to music, watch some tv, have a ball in your hand, or play an easy video/ computer game. It may help if you engage in a slight Se activity to alleviate being completely lethargic/numbminded in your alone time. I hope this helps.
    Is this really all we get from Ni P. I'm not being sarcastic and I do appreciate your response it is just that I do all of that stuff without thinking. I almost immediately can see a situation from multiple perspectives and can understand how they were reached. Possibly I'm wanting more from Ni than it is capable of. It is just that when you read a description of it from an Ni dominant perspective it seems so much more insightful and useful. Maybe I'm just being greedy.